World Cup 2022

It’s been on-and-off due to injuries and availability. A lot of those top tier players didn’t get time-off from their European clubs for a large number of US matches.

They don’t have a lot of time gelling together, either. Missing out on the last World Cup really hurt in that part of development, too.

I wasn’t aware of this. I know that La Liga and the EPL refused to release players back in September 2021 for matches to be played in “red” countries (due to Covid at the time), most of which were in South America. But that didn’t affect US players, since the US matches in the first international break were vs Canada and El Salvador.

But beyond that I had thought that FIFA clubs are required to release players to international duty if the home country calls them up – especially for World Cup qualifying play.

Final groups that were set last month.

4 months to go!

I’m surprised that the opening match will be Senegal vs The Netherlands.

I thought the host country or the previous World Cup champion always got the tournament started.

The Ringer has a new World Cup podcast. 22 Goals.

This will be the 22nd World Cup, and it will take place in 2022.

The first episode is about Diego Maradona and his 2 goals against England in that 1986 World Cup match up.

I haven’t listened to it yet.

They were both extraordinary goals. For different reasons.

Lineker should have handled the ball into the net off that John Barnes cross when it was 2-1.

62 days left.

Any early plans on how people are going to watch?

I know for streaming services in the U.S. Sling TV Blue is the cheapest option, but I hate them. I’ll probably go with Hulu Live TV that month, or possible Youtube TV, I haven’t decided yet.

I haven’t even checked how it’s to be shown.
I’d assumed that there would be plenty of viewing options but I probably shouldn’t do that anymore.
Ok, now I’m nervous lol.

Well, in the US the matches will be shown on Fox and FS1. I have access to Fox over the air, but not FS1, and I want to see all the matches, like I usually do for each World Cup. Plus all the matches will air at 7am, 10am and 1pm local time (Central time zone), so I’ll be at work. So I’ll need to record them, so I need DVR capability. So I figured Fubo TV or Hulu Live TV or Youtube TV are all good options.

I plan on recording all the matches on my PC (SiliconDust HD Homerun cable tuner + Plex). I’ll then transcode them down each night because otherwise each match is like 20GB each.

That’s good to know, thanks.

Well it looks like the U.S. won’t be winning a game in Qatar, but at least England won’t beat them. 😀

Is this based on a new bit of news? What did I miss?

The US lost 0-2 in a friendly warm-up to Japan, and Japan basically owned the ball all match.

Just the U.S. looking completely outclassed against Japan this morning and England getting beat by Italy just now.

Yanks with zero shots on goal for the game. Berhalter had zero tactical answers for Japan’s defense. The players had no idea what to do to beat it.

So, World Cup pool anyone?

I’m in, I’m choosing Canada

I’m going for the QT3 soccer-pool game threepeat, so I’m in.

Definitely in for another resounding defeat in the Qt3 soccer pool. :)

I went looking for music for this World Cup.

Looks like this is the official song. Very nice. I was wondering if that lady was just there for the music, but she starts singing towards the end of the song and her voice is very powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDjFVZgJoo

And apparently there’s a “Budweiser anthem” for the World Cup where Lil Baby raps over Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears.

I kind of like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaNzYwQI2rU

Btw, for those not keeping up with the fantastic 22 Goals, last week’s was pretty awesome.

Normally I really don’t like to dwell on that final. I always get a pit in my stomach just thinking about it. But this was well worth the discomfort that the memory brings.