World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

Mage: Blink into the hunter, frost nova, trinket, fireball, /wave.

I strongly suspect that the long term plan is for advancing through at least the pre-Burning Legion content. But I would not expect to see them commit to anything right now.

Oh man, I bet I can frost nova myself into their dead zone about 100 percent of the time still, after how many years since last I logged in.

I strongly suspect once you guys get to actually try it you’ll realize what it means to play a 15 year old game and walk away like me, but hey maybe I’m wrong.

Unless Classic is wildly successful and continues to be for a year or two after launch, adding new Classic content would be a tremendous waste of resources for Blizzard. Why spend time making stuff for Classic when you can make stuff for retail?

And even if Classic is successful, it seems like the obvious route is to just progress it to BC and Wrath before thinking about new content.

The appeal of Classic is very different than the appeal of BC or Wrath, though. I for one would much rather they follow a different content path, but maybe that’s a pipe dream.

Remember, it’s not about “would revenue exceed expenses” with regard to any megacorp decision. It’s "will this make more money based on these probability bands than an alternative investment, and how does that fit in our five-year risk portfolio. "

I started probably 30-40 new characters and went through the same low level content over the last 12, 14, however many long years I’ve been playing…no way do I EVAR want to do that again…especially how slow it is. It was a bit tempting when I heard about the Classic edition as I never got too high of a level back then and thought it might be cool to try and do all those classic dungeons/raids the way they were…but, UGH…just cant imagine that grind. Really wish they had kept working on Titan!

I am 50/50 on classic. I really enjoyed BC and Karazhan and it would be fun to go back. I don’t know if they will do those expansions, but I expect they will.

They may be able to de-level some dungeons from expansions and add them to classic eventually since they can already level-adjust zones. I think the difficult part would be making the loot work for level 60s. You’re adding entire new loot sets.

Anyway, it’s not like it’s a major money investment to try classic. Just restart your subscription. You’ll know before the first month is up if you want to continue to play.

I am 60/40 on classic. I know I will get in there and be in the mix day one. Btw it will be jammed FULL of people… might be fun just to see that. But I do realize it will be hard.

I won’t be able to stick it out unless I get in a guild, preferable not a hardcore one. I want to run dungeons as a group and I’d like to queue as a group for battlegrounds when the guild is high level enough.

I am really excited for WoW Classic, and I am playing day 1. Almost bought BoA after this announcement.

Almost.

I’m 50/50 on classic. I know it will suck and be slow and take forever to level. But I really want to play those pre-Cataclysm dungeons again.

Cataclysm ruined everything.

It will probably level a bit faster than you remember because you know more now, and if we can get a Qt3 guild for classic that will help too.

The other thing is it’s cheap to try it – $13 to activate your account. It’s not like you can’t have a bit of fun with your regular WoW characters for a week or two if classic doesn’t grab you.

Eh, I’m not ready for BoA. I can wait. Current WoW has changed so much the game system is a bit bewildering to me now. I don’t really know what stats work for my characters, etc. I don’t think I want to invest the brainpower into relearning it when it all might change with the next expansion.

Ehhh… Remember no mounts until level 40, so you’re huffing it everywhere. Fewer flight paths as well. It’ll be a slog.

Moving around through an atmospheric and at times beautiful world isn’t a slog unless you as an individual, are focused less on experiences and more on goal achievement.

You seem to have a tendency for assuming every other player is the same and feels the same, it’s a bit odd.

I’m looking forward to a slow game, I’m not in a rush to get to 60, having to run from zone to zone is world building and frequently memorable (e.g. getting tanaris flightpath as a low level alliance char). I’m not going to be counting the hours it takes to level, or the time it takes to do anything. I’ll be playing a game with friends.

I don’t understand why you even want to play classic with your attitude, you’ll only have a shitty time and tell everyone else they’re having a shitty time too (even if they aren’t). Classic isn’t going to be for everyone, it probably isn’t even going to be for a lot of people, and that’s fine.

I’m with you and I just can’t understand the appeal of playing a 15 year old game when the current game is available with all the improvements they’ve added since 2004.

I’m a little irked that so much time and attention is being put into Classic when BfA has been so uninspired. I hope the next expansion doesn’t suffer because so many resources are being put towards Classic.

“improvements”

I’m enjoying city of heroes because there’s a chance i’ll get over my head and die, and that playing in a group will be much better than going it alone. WoW turned into a solo MMO, with a safe bread crumb trail that offered no challenge or fun through max level, (for me) when the game apparently changes abruptly to an MMO. I never got to the MMO part, cause the safe bread crumb trail sucked so very hard compared to other things I could be doing with my gaming time. Maybe classic will be better this time, with so little MMO competition out there.

For sure a lot of what made vanilla WoW “hard” was just not knowing how everything worked. Right now streamers are getting about 1 level per hour, which is much faster than back in the day. And that isn’t because EXP is boosted - everything is at vanilla levels - people are just way smarter about being efficient.

Still, 60 hours to get to max level is a bit of a slog, considering that that’s when the real game starts, and you still have to gear up.