World of Warcraft Classic

So I saw that character creation opens on August 13th for players with an active sub. WoW Classic itself will launch in North America at 3 pm PDT August 26th. Blizz says they will have more information about realm names as we get closer to launch.

I guess I will resub on the 12th so I can grab a name or two. If some of us plan to play together we should coordinate and pick the side we want to play and at least share the classes each wants to play. I know Horde much better than Alliance but I am willing to play either side.

We can create up to three characters each for Classic.

That’s quite a drop from the 50 character total across all realms that we had previously. Didn’t WoW have a 50 character limit when it was first released? If so, WoW Classic isn’t as true to the original as all those fans demanded.

I suspect he means for the early character creation…?

From Blizzard’s lips to thine ears:

If you’re eager to claim your character name in WoW Classic, take note: we’ll be opening character creation on Tuesday, August 13.** Players with an active subscription or game time on their account will be able to create up to three characters per World of Warcraft account. We’ll have more information on realm names closer to launch, but rest assured—you’ll have plenty of time to figure out your plans for realm domination!

** To align with other regions, the Americas character creation will occur slightly ahead of August 13.

Didn’t notice the footnote before. It doesn’t specify when but I guess it may be sometime in the evening of August 12th?

Thanks for clearing that up, Mark.

I am fairly sure my character name won’t be taken. Day one-- AI will be there grinding and just overall nostalging a bit. After a few weeks I know I will hit deadmines….

So this is coming up soon.

A google shows August 12th at 3 pm ptd for name reservations. Upthread there is August 13th references.

Did something change? Also have they announced server types yet?

From Blizzard on server types:

There are several different realm types to choose from. Choose carefully, as each one has a distinct play style.

• Normal— This realm type is best for those who don’t want to take part in open world PvP. All zones are considered contested except for enemy faction cities, in which players will be automatically flagged for PvP. Players won’t be able to attack each other in contested areas unless they flag themselves for PvP with the command /PvP.
  • PvP (Player vs. Player) —This realm type allows for open world PvP in all areas except for designated “safe” or sanctuary areas, such as the starting zones where new players begin.
  • RP (Role-Play) —This realm type is best for those who wish to take part in role-play with others. This realm type uses the Normal ruleset and does not have open world PvP.
  • RP PvP (Role-play Player vs. Player) —RP PvP realms are for role-players who prefer the ruleset of PvP realms—expect open combat in contested areas.

Normal: normal
PvP: get ganked, beeyotch
RP: dost thou wish sexy times in Goldshire, my lady
RP PvP: thou shalt get ganked in thy tight arse, sirrah

Oh man, I recall joining a guild pre-launch and massive discussions on what names are appropriate and inappropriate on a RP server. So much angst and arguments over whether or not a guild with “Company” in the name should even be allowed on a RP server. I’m proud to say I was i the pro Company camp.

It’s not an old school sever without these sorts of heated debates.

The Venture Co. wasn’t quite a launch server, but it was close.

So what’s the feeling here, Alliance or Horde, normal or RP, PvP or non-PvP.

My vote is for:

Alliance or Horde
Normal (no, I can’t even, RP naming conventions, ah hell nah)
Non-PvP - this is a deal breaker for me. I love me some consensual battleground PvP, AV 4eva man!, but I absolute refuse to do open world PvP whilst questing etc.

So, I’m open minded on Alliance or Horde, but strongly in favor of a non-RP and non-PvP server.

Horde PvE non-RP. Whatever y’all play, that’s where I’m at.

Doesn’t look like my old group is going to be messing around with Classic, so I’m probably a free agent.

I’m ok with anything. I do like PvP and I will miss the Southshore battles, but non-PvP is ok too.

You can still /pvp on PvE servers. Southshore was still a thing on my server.

I am going in day 1 for nostalgia —but I intend to stick around.

So if people are going to create characters early on the 12th or 13th, it would be nice to know what faction and server people pick. I can’t find a list of servers, though, so I don’t see how players can lock down names without being able to also pick a server.

I’m wide open to anything. I’ll go where the majority goes. I like races on both sides. The only race I refuse to play is Tauren. I don’t like being cattle and I don’t like being huge. Undead, troll, orc, human, elf, dwarf, and gnome are all good to me.

Blue post earlier in the week mentioned along the lines of a server list post before the end of the week.

Hopefully something appears today.

I used to play a lot - on Venture Co (RP-PVP) in Europe, first as a member, and later as a guildmaster of a semi large RP guild - It was intensely fun!

Anyways - I remember back in the REALLY old days, there was a massive dragon like creature over the lands in Westfall - Does anyone know if that kind of monsters are still there? It was a monster not easily killed, as far as I remember.

Was it an epic monster? I don’t remember anything like that at all on the Horde side.

I don’t remember random epic monsters until Burning Crusade when those giant robot things were walking around.