World of Warcraft Classic

Anyway, since I have no intention of ever playing WoW Classic there’s really no sense in me continuing to subscribe to the thread. I genuinely hope y’all have fun with this thing. Later.

The only really really painful thing i remember from classic wow was leveling my warrior. OMG that was painful and all about bandaging and food and bandaging and waiting to bandage or eat. I don’t even think i made 60 on my warrior until BC. And the only reason i even rolled a warrior was because of my server’s severe shortage of horde tanks (which was really only warriors, since bear tanks were inferior because they generally lacked damage mitigation or agro generation abilities or something iirc). Lol, and I’ve a fair number of shaman(my main) tanking stories too, including one awesome trib run in DM, where we decided i’d tank and heal (and it actually worked…eventually)

yup, agreed. how many times did i meet someone because i stopped to help them as i was wondering by and noticed they had pulled a mob they didn’t mean to, or were being jumped by alliance, or just looked like they needed some help…too many to count. And what an impact it had on you when you were moving between places and noticed kills on the ground but didn’t see anyone…hmm…is there someone friendly here, or someone not? Are these recent? Should I maybe take another route or ask in chat?

And imagine how much less fun it would be to fly to any point in hillsbrad and just bypass the conflicts

I recall running around in Felwood during vanilla, and I came across a guy whose name was “getyeflask”, so I ran up to him, said “You can’t get ye flask” then ran off again. He must have been afk, because like ten minutes later he whispers me with a “LOL”.

You definitely have fewer of those interactions with flying.

( link for the “get ye flask” reference if you don’t know it )

I find this discussion of flying hilarious given how hard it is to access flying in the recent expansions. For example BFA has been out for 3 months but the achievement to unlock flying (pathfinder part 2) is not even in the game and I don’t think the patch date is even established as yet. And even then, completing that unlock will take additional dozens of hours of grinding.

As a practical matter flying is not really IMO meaningfully available for current/recent content, for many players.

So in reality there’s not much to argue about. The transition to flying in BC was a big deal but that is no longer relevant

Paladins with gear could heal for nearly an hour without stopping.
Also they brought some of the best buffs in the game.

It was Holy or GTFO, but they were good at the one role they were permitted.
A single Ret/Holy hybrid was useful in raids for keeping up Judgements as well, but most guilds didn’t go that route.

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to chime in and say that to this day I can still sing the DAoC splash screen music… not having heard it in maybe 6 or 7 years (or more).

“Da daa ta daa, da da de da dadada dadadadada daaaa daaaaa daaaaa”

Is it because we sat so long at that screen or because that was my first MMO? Probably a bit of both!

One hilarious thing is that during the pre-BC era where WoW Classic is set is that Paladins were a weak class in many ways but they had access to a single item (the Epic 2H Hammer you could get with Alterac Valley rep) that could turn a weak class into a powerhouse. Even more hilarious, it was an item that was very effective in PvE and yet could only be earned via PvP. They were still figuring out the interaction between PvE and PvP and there were some crazy mismatches and imbalances. Specifically, if you weren’t in a raid guild, the best way to power up a level 60 character for PvE was to… do a lot of PvP.

So that aspect of design was inconsistent and chaotic. And yet, I kinda loved it. It was imbalance, but it was glorious imbalance.

Now, maybe I view this as good due to the lens of nostalgia. Certainly I was in favor of the various smoothing and rebalancing patches as they came out at the time. And yet over the years I feel like the aggregate balancing rendered the funky awesomeness of early WoW into what I view as the overly-curated too-smooth balance of current WoW. YMMV.

I just returned to WoW about a week ago after being away for 9 years (since WotLK) and I think this is the way I feel as well. I’d describe the current game as smooth but way over-homogenized. And what they’ve done to the crafting professions is a crime, pure and simple.

The one exception to the new blandness I found was the Legion home base leveling and artifact leveling stuff, which I was really enjoying until I realized that all the artifact talents I’ve been working so hard for and all my old gear set bonuses have been removed from the game in the name of ‘balance’ for BFA. Really Blizzard? I think I have really begun to hate the concept of ‘balance’ at the expense of ‘fun’ in games.

Heh, yeah. I logged in briefly to the panda beta, took one look at the new talent system, and peaced out forever.

bumping this thread FOR JUSTICE.

Why? What happened?

The WoW; BFA thread became a discussion of Classic. Then someone remembered the classic thread existed.

LOL that’s awesome. :)

I am entirely chuffed by my response directly before the necro.

Ah! here it is … now back to talking about leveling to 60 in three months…

I think Blizzard would be tremendously negligent if they didn’t resurrect the William Shatner and Mr. T commercials for this release. :D

Poor Mark Asher I don’t think he is here yet. THIS is the thread where a few of us oldies will try and play vanilla wow on a their classic server… and renew our old classic feel. OR --we will die a LOT, level slow, and hardly be raid ready in 6 months. One or the other.

My almost favorite post in months was --I will go look – the guy that had his schedule out for hours/days/months to level to 60. I am not picking on you! But that was funny … It took me a year and a half in vanilla to get a 60. Or a 50 for that matter. But I agree we know the places and we can get it done.

I may not schedule it like its a trial or anything but I think 4 months to level is a good plan.

I applaud blizzard for doing this…there’s alot of people who never got to experience vanilla…they still had the best battlegrounds in the business and since those won’t be added till phase 3 and beyond, I see no rush to get in…not sure why they can’t just release everything at once…imho, that would attract alot more people though they probably want to milk the revenue stream…you do need a subscription to play this after all

Wouldn’t it be fun to have a new guild in a new vanilla with about 40 people on running around? Sigh. I think I actually may be getting old.