World of Warcraft: Dragonflight - 11-28-22

I applaud your will power. While I only ever have one sub at a time, I’ve been WoW-free for 4 years now. The fact I know it has been 4 years is because the temptation is back - stupid xmas sale puts the ‘effective’ cost back to what an expansion should be and is really tipping the scale.

At long, long last, I’M FREE!

Now, maybe, I can begin to enjoy the expansion.

Congrats! I’m enjoying the expansion and I’m way behind you. I think the flying is great fun.

That’s impressive. I’ve been working on alts, I need to get back to doing those rep grinds.

I can’t believe it’s been ten years since Mists of Pandaria and since I quit cold turkey. Except for two months coming back to Classic launch.

My son just gifted me “Sunny,” the proceeds from which go to support Ukraine. The dog is very cute, and he has a blue-and-gold motif to match the Ukrainian flag. There’s also a blue murloc you can get for the WoTLK Classic expansion. The offer is available until late August. This is me and my new Ukrainian dog. :)

Heh, the dog and his blue highlights makes me think of the old jazz standard “When Sunny Gets Blue,” a favorite of the Yale Whiffenpoofs (color them Yale Blue). Here’s Nat King Cole, wearing sunny yellow, singing about when Sunny gets blue:

Everyone is rightfully pissed that the murloc is classic only.

Sorry Ukraine - Blizz were dicks. No sale.

I love the wotlk mutloc, nice thing for Blizzard to do.

So 3 expansions announced today?

Yeah, they must be really worried about the Riot MMO to feel like they have to put all their cards on the table through 2028!

Wait, 3 expansions?

Yup. A “saga” of expansions.

Reading about the delves, and how pretty much everything will be account bound, is making me thing they FINALLY get solo/casual play.

Is this response to Riot, or FFXIV which will be starting their new (potentially) decade-long story arc? I’ve not heard much about the Riot MMO since it was announced that they are working on one.

I actually like hearing that they have a plan. After 20 years, one can feel a bit apprehensive about bothering with achievements or collecting things because “this could be the last expansion”. Of course, right NOW there is no reason to do achievements or collecting things until Warbands is a thing - so not sure how folks will fill the content gap between now and then.

I’m glad they’re starting to work towards classic+. I have no interest in playing retail, and there’s nothing at this point(short of wow2) that would bring me to retail, however I have been really enjoying my time in classic HC. But that said, the more I think of it, the more i really don’t like this seasonal approach to it. To me, the level cap of 25, coupled with the nov 30 launch date, screams ‘we haven’t yet finished the rest of it, but we really like the HC engagement and dont want to lose those subs’. I’m not sure I want to invest any time into a process blizz hasn’t even figured out yet, nor set a timeline on.

I also wonder if they’re fracturing their playerbase too much. You got retail, classic, classic HC, classic progression, and now seasonal classic: That’s a lot of different branches.

Possibly final fantasy, if they really do lean into narrative. But they won’t. Blizzard is just gonna make another wow expansion.

Definitely a risk, but my gut tells me there isn’t a lot of crossover between classic and retail. Maybe they split their classic base, though, but that’s a low-cost play (relatively).

Absolutely loads of crossover, but there are so many playing each version that splitting the player base isn’t a concern.

Interesting to think that Blizzard will soon have five of the top MMOs in the world:

Retail WoW
Classic WoW
Classic Hardcore WoW
Classic Season of Discovery WoW
Classic Cataclysm WoW

We met a couple friends from out of town that went to the convention (we did not) and had dinner about 10-15 min away from where most people were staying in Anaheim. Whole restaurant was filled with WoW folks, including Dratnos (streams quite a bit of wow stuff) and the part of Echo that was here for the guild competition stuff.

Looking forward to see what they have in store over the next year plus!