World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

Just unsubbed. I don’t have much interest in PvE, and they completely fubared PvP, it’s just bad in every possible respect. I can’t believe I’m unsubbing from an MMO in the middle of a pandemic, but there you go. I just have zero reason to log onto my character at this point, there is nothing I can do outside of Mythic raiding to improve my character. Having zero outlets for things to spend honor on, and a really low honor cap is just…idiotic game design.

Oh well, have fun kids!

Can’t recommend another MMO for PvP as I don’t enjoy it myself, but I hear ESO’s PvP is pretty neat. Similar to DAoC back in the day.

I am largely sorta done. I just level with friends and work through some of the covenants.

it’s a great expansion but I am more into strategy games.

I’m nearing the end too, though I may last another two months. The world PvE I’ve done enough to be a bit tired of it. The PvP isn’t doing it for me so far. I still like Torghast but I need to do more than Torghast to continue progression. I haven’t really run the 5-mans but those are speed runs with random groups so after I’ve seen an instance once or twice I’m playing for loot drops.

It’s WoW with some new wrinkles, Torghast being the most significant one, but most of what I had grown tired of in WoW is there again.

I still haven’t crafted a piece of legendary armor. Want to do that. I have two characters at 60 now. Not sure I have it in me to level a third.

In fact I just cancelled now. My last day is January 12th.

I’m always tempted to come back. Thanks all for being voices of reason to keep me from wasting the time/money.

As stusser mentions, ESO might be an option. Guild Wars 2 is worthy of a look too I think. Lots of deals to be had on both (GW2 can be played free even), so pretty low barriers of entry.

I despise both ESO and GW2 for similar reasons (terrible management, GW2 was left to die and Arena.net is mostly done, ESO is just overall poorly developed and has a bad DLC model).

The real quality alternative is FF14.

But for the most part the genre has been slaughtered, and now you have hybrids in the form of Phantasy Star Online 2, Warframe and similar. Like Genshin Impact.

PSO2 and Warframe I can see but Genshin Impact is a Breath of the Wild type game with limited co-op elements. There’s really nothing MMOish about it aside from connecting to a server as there’s little to no way to interact with the community of players.

I see where you’re coming from now. My main Warlock is mostly out of stuff to do aside from running 5 mans for upgrades to unlock higher tier dungeons. I guess I could push Torghast for a little Soul Ash but the incremental benefit from going one level higher is minimal. I need more Soul Ash than that’d get me. So I’ll just wait until next week, after the reset. As far as dungeons go, as a DPS class, 5 mans involve queueing and then waiting a while for the queue to pop, and then speeding thru the dungeon.

My Shaman, has stuff he can do, as they do provide a lot of catch up activities you can do with your covenant. I did a dungeon with him yesterday and someone in the group called me ‘dumb’ because… I didn’t do something he wanted me to do? … beats me… not much talking goes on in those runs.

I also have my DK, who is 54 and leveling thru the storyline. I have read that I should switch to Threads of Fate at 59.9 so that when I ding 60 I don’t have to finish any storyline quests.

Still having fun but my goal I suppose is to get to raiding; would like to do it in a more casual environment. My guild runs Castle whatever but they do it 2x a week from 8 to 11 pm and im still uncertain if I want to do it that way.

I would argue that raiding is MUCH more accessible in Shadowlands than in previous years. Essentially, if you can do heroic dungeons, you’ll be fine starting raids. The most significant WoW change was that for heroic raiding, you no longer have to limit the raid size to 10 people. When Blizzard expanded the numbers of folks that can participate in heroic raiding, that was a great accessibility change. No more fighting over who got to do 10-person raids anymore.

Mythic raiding is very hard to organize, requires a larger guild, and this is where the time sink sets in and WoW feels more like a job than a game. But if that is what you want to do, by all means go for it. Our guild was a Mythic guild toward the end of the last expansion and all of us 30+ (some 40 and 50+) essentially stopped raiding and that fell apart. Now we are back where we belong - heroic raiding.

So I am honestly not understanding the complaint about the accessibility of gear, given the Mythic dungeon opportunities (there you just need five good players) that give gear that is on par with heroic raiding at least. It is MUCH easier to casually get gear in 2020 than five or ten years ago.

Edit: I will add that if you don’t want to play with folks in a guild, then yes, unsub now. That’s the only reason that I keep playing WoW since it was released. It really isn’t a single player game, or at least it is certainly not as fun as a single player game.

Yeah, “accessibility” is nebulously-defined, but right now, yeah, there’s basically no one for whom raiding and “raid gear” is unattainable. Blizzard has really refined their PvE game such that there is something for every tier of time commitment and skill. Have nothing but time and want to prove you’re at the top of the game? Mythic raids. Have no time and a casual interest in the game? LFR or normal dungeons. Have limited time but high skill? Mythic dungeons.

Sure, you can’t do any of that alone (though LFR and heroic dungeons have easy matchmaking). But the flex nature of normal and heroic raids make it so you can just run with what you have. They’ve really removed nearly every obstacle to the raiding game.

I agree, but that’s because it is a forced subscription model like WoW. ESO/GW2 have non-subscription options, but at the cost of dealing with loot boxes, DLC models, etc. If you subscribe to ESO, all the DLC issues go away.

I expect a higher standard if I’m paying monthly. I enjoy the option of running around in the others because I don’t need to commit/sub though I agree that I prefer WoW/FFXIV if cost wasn’t part of the equation. FFXIV being on sale for $30 isn’t helping me resist.

Plus yearly expansions that are nowhere the quantity or quality of WoW or FF14 ones, for ESO.

They’re much smaller scope certainly, but quite high quality. Each one is basically a full zone and a half.

I dunno. Based on the number of folks here already bailing from Shadowlands, I’m not sure how much water that holds. I’ve also seen complaints leveled against FFXIV that there isn’t as much of an endgame there as some would prefer. If you have a forced subscription, you need to be good enough to keep people subscribed for the entire duration in between (though I’ve also read that FFXIV/Square doesn’t actually expect that).

Exactly! ESO doesn’t have forced anything. A new expansion comes out, you play through the new content, and then you stop playing. And they’re perfectly fine with that-- they have no incentive to keep you playing with retention mechanisms and grindy crap that isn’t actually fun. None of that MMO crap in ESO.

On the positive side, I’ve been playing Shadowlands and having a lot of fun. We’re trying our first guild raid tonight so we’ll see how that goes.

ESO!! Man, I forgot about eso…time to pay it another visit I think.

For me the problem is, I hate PvE. I especially hate to have to PvE to improve my PvP gear. My PvP gear is currently locked behind renown, (a pve mechanic/gate). To add insult to injury, I could get higher tier gear…for PvP, by doing PvE…

I am perfectly happy, logging on and grinding honor, and upgrading my gear. Even if it’s slow, as long as I have something to do with that honor I’m getting, and I’m slowly advancing, I’m fine with that. My character, for 2 weeks now, has literally been hard locked out of getting any gear (other than mythic raiding), and like I said, I can’t even play to bank up currency. Hell, even if they want these hard/timed locks on gear upgrades, to pad their thinner than thin content this expansion, at least let me continue to bank currency.

/shrug. For people that like PvE and raiding, this expansion is probably fine. For someone who wants to primarily PvP, it flat out sucks. I mean, I would literally rather sort my laundry than go through Torghast again.

Eh, it’s just me. The game is fine for a lot of people, and don’t let my complaints dissuade anyone from having fun. I’ve just come to really hate this expansion.

I actually like this expansion…first one in a looooong time that I’ve somewhat enjoyed…BUT, I play very casually with my kid and never ever get to the need to grind for top gear.

ESO, so dull…but I never liked Skyrim either.

I am not cancelling. I expect I will have an active WoW account for years. My not playing as much is due to other hobbies, and wanting to play some of the Steam games I bought this year.

Shadowlands is one of the better expansions to date.