World of Warships

Tirpitz might have pretty good range, but i think she is going to have to use HE over 8KM. She just cant get through battleship armor.

So I, um, broke down and bought Mr. T. I like it; it makes good money, it’s a very enjoyable ship to play, and I’ve found it can be effective in on-tier matches. The one Tier X I got into, well, I did barely ok, but it was on that horrid ice map. Ugh.

I’ve found AP works well enough on tier, though HE is certainly a viable option for long range. The secondaries seem pretty solid, and I even got one torpedo kill, though I think that was because the enemy DD was asleep at the wheel.

I’ve played a couple games in it. It is ok.

Everyone knows i have torpedoes, so nobody will let me get close. I might be a little faster than other battleships, but if they start running away from me, i’m not going to be able to get in torpedo range more often than not.

Which leads us to the next problem. She is a brawler. Her guns don’t have the power to do a ton of damage to other battleships at long range and they also have terrible accuracy. In short, she might have a long max range but her effective range is MUCH shorter than that. I imagine some of this is probably due to me not having played recently before now, but even in training battles against stationary targets this seemed to be pretty easy to see.

She can take beating though. Shame about the guns. At the moment i wish i could lose the torpedoes and upgrade the guns or get more secondary batteries, but maybe that opinion will change with time.

Have you upgraded her with the modules? They’re pricey, but make a difference.

All of them except the 2 million dollar one.

I went with main weapon accuracy which seems like the best choice most of the time.

I saw someone saying that they citadel’ed a yamato at 15KM, but i dont see how that is possible.

She is a pretty good ship because of how much damage she can take, but her guns leave a lot to be desired in battleship vs battleship.

I am tempted to try the secondary weapons module, but in general secondary weapons are horrible without it. I think they only hit about 15% of the time are something like that, and that is within range of course. That might be something to try out when i get my commander higher enough level to also get the commander skill.

Edit: the accuracy is bad. i was testing thing in the training room and probably 75% of shots missed against a stationary Amagai, with its broadside facing my strationary Tirpitz at 15km.

It is indeed possible to citadel a yamato at 15km, but it basically need to be a perfect shot at their broadside. With the Tirpitz’s accuracy, the standard BB dispersion and the other player trying to avoid it, it seems highly unlikely to happen in a real battle.

Note that even in this perfect situation it is still super hard to citadel a yamato from 12KM.

Its all about the Random Number Generator baby. You get lucky, your shot citadels the yamato. Often, it dont. Its my one pet peeve with the WG.net games, that they’re stupid fucking lotteries. Not torpedoes tho, thats just skill and another sort of luck ;)

Yeah, it’s not so much that Tirpitz is inaccurate, ALL the BBs are inaccurate. All the criticisms of the T are about as valid for the North Carolina, say. To really assess any ship, you need to amass data over a long period of time to smooth out the machinations of RNGesus.

I hate the dumb randomness of the gunnery but on the other hand there’s something that just keeps me going back to the big battlewagons. I reckon the kick of seeing citadel penetrations take huge chuncks out of enemy ships. My kongo rarely sinks without at doing least 5 citadel hits. She has a huge range but I usually fight at about half of that, 10 to 13 km is where i get my licks in.

I like BBs too. The stately pace of these huge ships is a nice change of pace, and they reward careful shooting and ship placement. My rule of thumb is, if you finish a game with more than half health, you’re doing it wrong. They exist to soak up damage as well as dish it out.

Of course, it’s often all for naught if your teammates sit around wanking, but what can you do?

Are these games strictly PvP matches, or is there PvE/bots as well?

You know, i think for me its just the sheer [i]manliness[i] of it all. To wade into battle with your sleeves rolled up yelling “have at me then, you sissies!” And throwing big fucking haymaker shells at those girls in their pretty little cruisers.

PvP only.

There are matches versus teams of bots, called co-op battles, but really they’re pretty dismal. The bots are more like target practice, so the matches are good to get a feel for a ship but you won’t earn as much or get as much experience (AFAIK) doing so, and I don’t find the matches very interesting. Armored Warfare has more developed missions against AI teams, though there too the bots are generally horrifically bad.

Essentially, WoWS, WoT, and their ilk are team based PvP games pure and simple. There’s not enough depth of game systems to sustain anything else.

Yes, i realize this, but the Tirpitz seems even more inaccurate.

The guns also seem to have a harder time penetrating enemy armor, so accuracy becomes even more important, to get that perfect shot.

I haven’t played that many matches yet, only a half dozen maybe, but I’ve been generally pleased with it. Of course, luck has a lot to do with each match’s success, so maybe I’ve just been lucky-ish.

I definitely think the Tirpitz is one of those ships where crappy players will do terribly, and good players will do well, but the ship itself will be forever tainted by the horde of bad players who bought one and are clueless. I’ve had several 300k + earning games in it, including one I just had earning over 400k and sinking a Montana, a New Orleans, and another Tirpitz, and surviving. It’s a ship that really rewards playing to its strengths, and really punishes everything else. I do like it though. I invested in the module for increased secondaries and it makes a lot of difference against DDs who want to get up close and personal.

I played three matches last night, around peak NA server time. In the second match, I noticed that the ship animation of getting blown up leapt forward from where the ship was just before its destruction. Also, it seemed like the enemy ships were inexplicably stopping in the middle of combat.
Third game was just a debacle. I am trying to lead ships that look like they are dead in the water, yet my teammates are telling me I am shooting way behind them. I hit absolutely nothing, survived about five minutes, and then died to something I never saw. Apparently torpedoes. If I had better presence of mind I would have looked at my ping and screen refresh, but did not.

Looking on the WoWS forums, it seems that there is a lot of complaints of lag, and the consensus is the Level3 servers cannot handle the load? Is that what others have seen?
This is really the first time I have experienced lag that bad in the game. Anyone else? Any fixes you can recommend?

I’ve seen that once or twice, but not regularly, and it’s been a while since.

I’m seeing a lot more complaints now, and for the first time I’m experiencing some of these issues myself. Ships that appear to stop, huge swings in FPS and latency, stuff like that. They really need to fix this because they have two new ship lines coming out in ten days, along with more premium ships they’ll want to sell. I like the game, but if the base platform is imploding I’m not sinking any more money into it.

Expect them to get around to it. Actually they never will. They aren’t willing to spend money on a reliable host. For their 100% online game. People have had those issues in WoT for years. They finally changed providers eventually… to a provider who is slightly less terrible about it.

They aren’t willing to spend the money and never will be. They see the NA/EU/SEA servers as free profit for the most part.