World of Warships

Kamikaze is such a fun murderboat. I have the R version with a very pretty paintjob.

Good killin’ for sure. I have only one or two solo warriors I think.

Your mission is to get two million credits!

Ok, I’m on it…

So close to getting it all in one round.

Musashi prints credits. Maybe not quite like Missouri, but close. It helps that you were a bad-ass in it ;).

Jesus that’s a nice score. Excellent game, man.

I’m still playing WoW, and am up to two T9’s on my own along with some premiums I picked up because, reasons. However, we also play World of Tanks and as hard as it has been learning to play better in that game I enjoy it as well. Not having the crutch of bot based games (beyond the tutorial mostly) makes the randomness of fully packed human teams a much harder thing to dig through. And because of it I’ve started playing more random games in Warships as well.

If you ever want a division mate just hit me up on WoW. TANSTAAFL is the name. No clan any more, just me poking around, albeit not nearly as much as I used to.

Sounds good. We play it off an on mixed with World of Tanks and Armored Warfare on the Discord group I’ve been playing with lately. I’m 100% sure we’ll be on over the weekend. I’ll look to see if you’re online, especially if we run your preferred game type. The clan is a mix of folks that fall over the spectrum of how much they love or hate PvP battles.

I’ll warn you, I’ll kill your rating. I’m getting better but it’s painfully slow.

I only play PvP; hate co-op with the fiery passion of a thousand dying suns. Except for getting rid of stupid mission requirements, I avoid it. No shade cast on those who enjoy it, just not my thing.

My win rate is stunningly mediocre, 51%. I’m right between “potato” and “so-so” by modern WoW standards. My clan imploded and I have been soloing it mostly lately, but only a few matches a night. Finishing up the re-grind of the Japanese BB line for Research Bureau points. I’ll be resetting lines a lot probably as there is nothing else that really interests me much. Other than CVs, which I don’t play, and the new Italian BB line, which is awful, everything else I have is full tech trees. I’ll probably work on the German DD line when it is fully out, but at a glacial pace.

I played Armored Warfare in the past, I should re-check that, as I bought a founder’s pack for it and probably have spacebucks or whatever they use still.

So I’m curious about how these type of games work - this game, World of Tanks, etc. They all advertise all sorts of ships/planes, tanks, etc from many different eras/years. So how does that work exactly? Obviously a World War 2 Tiger tank isn’t going to stand much of a chance against a current M1A2 Abrams tank, nor is a Me262 going to be able to fight an F16. Are fights set up by years/eras in some way so you don’t get mismatches? I guess that may be the obvious answer but I’m still curious as to how it works. Thanks.

There’s a lot of fudging because it’s a videogame, but World of Warships has ships assigned to tiers 1-10 and for the most part you can only fight +/-2 tiers, with some exceptions. Like tier V only fights -1/+2.

So HMS Iron Duke is at tier V, and could fight alongside/against the tier VII Nelson and King George V, but not against the tier VIII Monarch or tier IX Lion.

If you join a squad with a higher ranked ship you can “fail division” into a match at +3 tiers, but that’s usually a very bad time indeed.

Most of them don’t vary the genre that much in terms of years of the equipment in the game. At least, I’ve not played one that spanned more than one or two major wars/conflicts. Like Bismarck said, it’s about ranking the ships by nation, relative power, relative armor, etc. Those end up as tiers and when you queue for a game you can get a variance of + or - 2 tiers from what you are in, being tier 1 through 10. IMHO the games don’t handle that latter part well as when you get uptiered (join a game as a tier 5 and end up with tier 7s in game,) you don’t get any boosts to speak of. You can and do sometimes get rolled over by something more powerful. You get used to it. It’s much worse in the tank games than World of Warships, again in my opinion.

As he mentioned though, it’s a game. They fudge the numbers to make some things more powerful than they should be, or worse than they should be. To fill out the researched lines you gain experience to get, there are also a lot of “paper,” vehicles which were designed but never went into production. There’s also balance, in that if they made the Tiger tanks as strong and feared as they were on the real battlefield, nobody would play anything else. In the game, they are Tigers by name, not necessarily by nature.

There’s also the odd factor which is that World of Tanks and World of Warships are designed by a Russian development studio so notably, the Russian lines in both games are stronger and more filled out than they should or would have been, historically.

What they said. They do more than fudge; any resemblance in actual capabilities between game vehicles and real-world vehicles is purely coincidental. Not just in terms of technical stats like speed, armor, penetration, etc. but these games put ships and tanks into tactical situations that are in no shape, form, or fashion realistic. Real-world weapon systems are developed for, well, real-world situations, taking into account things like logistics, quality of the personnel pool, expected opposition, cost, etc. So a Sherman, the standard medium tank of the USA in WWII, doesn’t compare that well to say a German Pzkw V “Panther” on paper, but if you are going to build 50,000 of them and use them in every theater around the world, they are actually about ideal. In a game, though, they are going to suck if you just model stats. Likewise, the use of artillery, or in WoW, carriers; totally ahistorical and arguably neither belongs in the game.

Both games use tiers, so in WoT a Sherman is Tier V and a Panther is VII I think? Can’t recall. Tigers are Tier VI, etc. Tier ranges in matches varies, but is usually like +/-2, so it can get hairy if you are under tiered, but as folks have said, it’s fudged quite a bit. It’s an arcade game, so they “simulate” accuracy and optical quality of sights with dispersion values, etc.

In WoW, it’s the same, with the added weirdness of having large capital ships primarily operating in littoral waters, right up against islands and whatever, places they’d never, ever go. And the ranges are much shorter than actual, at least for large-caliber weapons, accuracy is much greater, and no one worries about wearing out their gun barrels :).

@Grifman I have not played World of Planes so I can’t comment on that but the other two play quite differently. There are modes of play for each. Some modes are player vs player only, other modes may include one or many bots (mostly in Warships.) There are also teamed competitive play modes. Tanks, being mostly PvP modes is a harder initial gameplay experience, but rewards dedication to it. Warships is easier to get into and enjoy, but suffers more from, “ships that aren’t available anymore,” experience. At least in my opinion. Both games have that, and both can be very competitive with standard research tree vehicles, but I encounter more of it in Warships, personally. Others here might have a different experience.

There are grinds within the games, notably gaining experience which gives exp in a line (or tech tree,) exp for your crews, and depending on upgrade or purchase, “free” exp that can be used for either of the former. Another grind is money, which pays for ammo replenishment after a game as well as repairs after a game. Finally there is the fremium grind of gold, which can be used for any number of things, including purchase of premium only vehicles, premium crews, conversion to normal in-game currency for repairs and purchases, and allowance of experience conversion from free to whatever is needed, etc. The gold (or doubloons in game speak) is how they make money along with some items that are direct purchase with cash/credit card.

All of their games get some flack for tiptoeing with Pay-To-Win game mechanic. Some (not all) premium items give quite a boost in game play. Premium ammo (Tanks) is a thing as well and of course it has more penetration, etc.

So while the games list themselves as free-to-play, there is a lot of temptation and reward for spending some cash on them over time, sad but true.

Thanks to everyone that responded and told me far more than I ever expected to know about these types of games :)

They are obviously fun or we wouldn’t be addicted to them. =p

Interesting 20 minutes in WoWs today.

Got my 69th Kraken, in the Helena of all things.

316 main battery hits…

Dropped back to the dock and got triple-complimented, which might be even rarer than the Kraken.

Then went over to open one of the regular drop containers and got a super container!

It turned out to be just 100 Detonation flags rather than something exciting like a free ship, (something I’ve won exactly once in six years), but as you don’t get flags for achievements any more that will at least stop my Destroyers going pop for a while.

Nice job! I don’t play much at all any more, logging in maybe once a day to get whatever pathetic freebie they give for doing so. I’m desultorily redoing the UK regular cruiser line (up to the Fiji again) for RB points, and even more lackadaisically working on the new German DDs and Italian BBs, neither of which lines are particularly interesting. Oh, and Dutch cruisers, as I got the IV from the tokens but I doubt I’ll get anything else from that, as I simply don’t play much now.

One big reason is that the vast majority of the battles I get into are face rolls, one way or the other. Usually it’s one of those things where by the time I’m in position to support, say, a DD taking a cap, three or four of our ships are already dead to the enemy’s zero. A huge portion of the player base is totally clueless and even more most seem totally unwilling to actually get better. They are there for the lulz and sailing around while stoned I think.

WarGaming’s matchmaker needs to work out that a snowball game you win in five minutes isn’t that much more fun than a snowball game you lose in five minutes.

The game before the Kraken I was in the Mahan and enemy Azuma and Gneisenau decided to facetank my smoke, which didn’t work out for them. Then the two enemy DD who challenged the cap got revealed by radar and sunk and it was 12-v-8 with one enemy flank entirely collapsed before my torps even reloaded.

Captains on the other flank were complaining their 50% first win bonus was going to be worthless because the game was over so fast.

I suspect it’s nearly impossible to do matchmaking that will be good for everyone. But even satisfying some of the people some of the time seems hard for Wargaming.

Then again, it’s been clear for years, with World of Tanks as well as World of Warships, that Wargaming’s interest is pretty much purely in how to extract the most cash from people and not on actually improving gameplay. Game changes that are positive seem to be almost accidental; as long as people keep buying stuff, they naturally see little reason to change.

I mean, I get it; it’s a business. I don’t, as a gamer, have any entitlement to anything from them really. All I can do is not play, and not pay, which is what I’ve been doing. They gave me like a year’s worth of premium time through various in-game rewards, so I have zero incentive to spend anything at all now.

When WoT was young, it was different. But that’s long, long ago.