Worst song remakes

Orgy: Blue Monday. Brings absolutely nothing to the table.

The Space Jam version of Fly Like an Eagle. Took a few years to completely flush that one off the airwaves.

Really? I like that one a lot. The others you listed have my full agreement, and I didn’t even know about them. But I like this one.

Yep. A lot of metal bands are remaking songs without adding anything to the original. In fact, the point seems to be to sound as close to the original as possible, which is just silly (I once started a thread about this, so I won’t rehash it). Recentish examples: Trivium remade Master of Puppets. Machine Head just remade Fucking Hostile (Pantera). I believe the latter is at least on a tribute album, but it doesn’t sound that different, and is basically inferior to the original. I wouldn’t say it’s awful, though.

Marilyn Manson covers can all be summed up as “slow it down, and sing all spooky”. Disposable.

Well, it doesn’t help that I dislike Seether to begin with. But yeah, I think lyrics like “These guilty feet ain’t got no rhythm” just sound silly.

Dennis DeYoung covering “Fire”, by Hendrix

It’s an oldie but…no, it’s just kind of old. And terrible.

Technically Orbison’s is the original, although Lauper’s version was released first (by about three years). This makes Cyndi Lauper the only artist ever to have a cover song reach the Top 10 before the original was ever released.

I still enjoy his cover of I Put A Spell On You. Most of his other stuff is kinda forgettable; nothing special, but not deserving mention among the worst covers either.

Duran Duran - 911 is a joke

You know, I don’t hate Marilyn Manson’s cover of ‘I Put A Spell On You’ but I can’t love it either, mainly because I consider CCR’s version one of my favorite songs, and probably tops my list of best cover songs. But yeah, Manson’s version is at least better than their version of ‘Sweet Dreams.’

Suppose I should contribute to the thread at hand – let’s see, worst remake. I think my least favorite would be Karen Oberlin’s cover of Elvis Costello’s ‘Shipbuilding’. Not because it’s crap really, but its bubbly jazz seems to miss the point of the dark undercurrent of the original. Plus, I’m just a big Costello fan. So what.

http://www.56.com/u29/v_MjQ5NTU4NTA.html

This bastardization of "Let’s Live for Today’

Just like “We are the World”, it’s hard to ruin a song that already sucks.

While we’re on the subject, Rod Stewart’s cover of Downtown Train, also originally by Waits.

Is Tom Wait’s taking a dump during that song or what? I mean, I’m all for screamo, but not so much for drunken grunto.

You’ve never heard a Tom Waits song before, I take it.

Completely agree, and Orgy sucks ass in general.

Have you heard Flunk’s cover of Blue Monday? Much better.

Geez, two critical misses in one thread for you.

kerzain is the person that said Kujo had better writing than The Road, right?

I could recap what I said here, but why bother when all the good stuff is over the The Road thread anyway.

If you don’t agree with me it just means you’re in denial. I can live with that.