WoW just can't handle the scale

Stress the servers, fine, but a queue to get in? Looks like it’ll be AN HOUR.

And this because their server hiccupped and tossed me out. When I get back in I’ll be in the middle of a group of enemies and I’ll probably die, since in an hour everything will be respawned and my party will be gone. That’s a dealbreaker, if it’ll happen in retail.

I was #600 in the queue when I tried to log in last night, with an estimated availability time that fluctuated between 25 and 55 minutes. I’m hoping that this undercapacity is a deliberate (and fixable) situation that Blizzard will correct before launch day, or WoW is going to end up at the end of my queue.

They’ve said it’s deliberate.

BTW, after I got in the game was lag-free. Same this morning when I played for a bit. Whatever they did fixed the lag, at least for now.

Coolness. I guess I’ll check back in on the 23rd. I have better things to do with my time than watch my queue position slowly tick down. I had enough of that submitting jobs on my university’s batch system, back in 1980.

/shrug

For what it’s worth, in addition to saying they’ve got the cap much lower than it will be for retail, they’ve also said the system is not working as intended:

Well, lag came back just now, although it may have been the server crashing as I got booted to the login after a couple of minutes of being unable to do anything besides move.

Just a daily WoW bulletin.

Eh? Not really. 10pm here is 2am out east… a lot less east coast folks playing at 2am usually.

I just waited 40 minutes to get a spot in test 9. I played for 5 mintes, then the server hiccupped and dropped me. Now I’m in a line to get back in. Joyous. Plus I’m in a hostile area, and my party will be long gone in the 90 minutes it will take,

Vana’diel, here I come!