WTF is up with Amazon Prime lately?

i was considering getting prime trial and trying my unblock-us vpn service to see if i can get the streaming video in canada. how’s it compare with netflix?

Not great. The player on PS3, Roku and 360 are a lot worse and the streaming library is about 1/3rd the size of Netflix. It has some stuff that Netflix doesn’t, most notably Downton Abbey and a bunch of Nickelodeon and Comedy Central shows, but I think it’s a pretty poor replacement. Nice as a supplement if you’re already getting your money’s worth with the shipping benefits, though.

No problems here. Being in Seattle, I frequently get things a day early via local courier.

I think the Prime membership applied on Amazon.ca won’t automagically apply to the Amazon.com account I have for the same email address because they’re separate unlike Netflix.ca/com. :(

If you do get the trial keep track of how many days you have left. I have Prime now because they never told me my trial was coming to an end and instead charged me for a year.

You can cancel prime at any time and get your payment back if you do it before benefiting from any prime features.

More Amazon Prime BS–FedEx’s “Smartpost”:

A USB stick I ordered early Wednesday is apparently at my local post office (arrived this morning), but FedEx’s tracking tells me to “allow 1-2 extra days for delivery.” WTF? I paid for Amazon Prime to get me my shit two days after ordering it, not “whenever.”

Grrrrr.

You must be in some weird delivery Dead Zone. I’ve probably placed a couple hundred Amazon orders with Prime and while I don’t have total recall of every one of them, I don’t remember a single one that came late. Quite often I get stuff next day.

The good news is that the Post Office will deliver packages on Saturdays.

I have noticed lately that some of my Prime orders have essentially shipped the next morning instead of same day, which can cause me to get the item 3 days after ordering instead of 2 (though technically I’m still getting 2-day shipping).

That status doesn’t mean it won’t arrive today. Give it to the end of day and see what happens. Does the tracking show two-day service? If so, your complaint is, once again with the delivery services, not Amazon.

Papageno threads are an endless source of entertainment.

Heh, glad to be of service. :-)

But seriously, this kind of stuff just started happening this year. Maybe Amazon is expanding too fast or something. It used to be ultra-dependable. The package might still make it today, because the mail hasn’t been delivered yet. We’ll see.

The only issue I’ve had is two Amazon packages that UPS had as “out for delivery” and then took back to the depot without even making an attempt. One on Christmas Eve, the next the day before a trip. Seems to be directly proportional to the importance of on-time arrival. But that’s UPS’s suckage, not Amazon’s.

Don’t think I’ve had more than a couple of prime shipments show up late, and I’ve ordered from them hundreds of times.

Hell, I’ve ordered stuff in the evening from Amazon and had it arrive the very next day. That is some crazy witchcraft.

I’ve had similar problems with Amazon Prime. For some reason FedEx dumps it off at the local post office and they take another day or two to get it to me. Really annoying.

Well, I must (sheepishly) report that my flash drive arrived in the mail today after all.

I think they primarily use SmartPost (aka FedEx->your local post office) for very light, small packages.

I honestly prefer when they use USPS for the last mile stuff, because the fuckheads at UPS and FedEx still seem incapable of getting out of their metal box-cars to approach the front door of my building, much less using the security code I’ve provided them, their managers, their dispatchers, and their website dozens of times over the last two years.

The nice lady who brings our USPS stuff? Somehow, the mystical barrier known as my building’s Front Door has not defeated her once in that same span of time.

My copy of GTAV took 3 days as well. SmartPost. It arrived at local Post Office distributor within 2 days, at 3:30pm in the afternoon. Lot of good that does me, though.

Well, she’s an employee protected by a union with an employer who gives her the time to do her job properly. Not sure about those other guys.