WTF Royal Family - Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah

Have you bought into the notion that that family is chosen and better than others and must strive to remain that way?

And that just letting anyone into the family is a one way ticket to being just regular people and not entrusted by God to rule over, what I image nowadays feels like a depressingly small amount of land?

That family has been chosen to be the target on my vitriol on days that I have woken up way too early and way too cranky. That’s the only thing they have been chosen for.

Doubt that’s unanimous in the family and in the British public. It is what it is, as medieval as the notion might sound, some people will believe it, especially in the family, otherwise, would be hard to deal with.

The kenyan part is also very interested.

And my point is that it is very much not malicious. (Edit : in my experience)

My impression is that Meghan took this interest as being inherently vindictive, and things spiralled from there.

Well, my sister in law is African American and I would be feel mortified if anyone had asked my brother or sister in law how dark they thought her skin would be. That would be a social faux pas of the highest order, and that person would probably no longer be invited to future functions.

The idea of asking that question out loud seems shocking. The baby will be what it is (she was and still is absolutely adorable). The worst thing about Covid-19 is after 2 years, I still haven’t gotten a chance to visit them and see my niece.

Here in Indonesia when Indonesians of Chinese descent marry non-Chinese , or when Indonesians of any lineage marry bule (foreigners) then the colour/appearance of the prospective offspring is a common topic of conversation.

Yes, this. Obviously different cultures feel otherwise, but in the US, I would treat it as a big no-no.

I think we are coming to the crux of things here.

You are American and this for you would be horrific.

I am Kenyan/British and this would barely raise an eyebrow for me.

Were I to come to your family and ask this kind of question, you’d be understandably annoyed and I would be understandably annoyed/confused at the annoyance.

If you were to visit me in Kenya, I would probably be confused why you weren’t interested in my imminent offsprings appearance (assuming there were some imminent ofcourse)

Does that make me a racist?

IDK, by your standards and expectations, maybe it does.

By mine, not at all.

Now if you were to scream to the high heavens that BBB is a racist… and if that were to have an impact on my life, well now you see how things can spiral out of control and bad blood can be generated.

One could raise the point that she was coming to England, not the other way around.

And, not to be an arsehole here, but this is the same Harry who thought dressing up as a Nazi was a great idea.

So forgive me if I take the accusations of rampant racism with a pinch of salt.

Now I don’t think this means Meghan and Harry are liars (which some people, the usual suspects like Piers Morgan etc, are saying) but rather that this is very much a cultural intersection.

In Kenya very much the same.

Mzungu = white person/European in general.

Nusu nusu = literally half half, refers to European and African.

Mhindi = Indian. And generally there is quite alot of racism towards the Indian community, and very little interaction, almost no mixing.

I’m not really invested in the royal family one way or another (so why am I in this thread at all? good question) I just wanted to back up @legowarrior that in the US this would not be OK. I don’t mean to accuse you of racism, could very well be a culture clash thing. Just that since she is American (right?), I would see where she’s coming from.

I don’t think we’re arguing this.

I think, in her mind, she really is 100% convinced she was targetted on the base of race.

And I think race is a factor, simply because, for whatever reason, this has become the primary identifier of people (even while definitions and categories dont mean the same things everywhere) but it is a far cry to go from “unacceptable, or at least poor taste, in the USA” to “Royal Family is racist.”

I think it is more likely they just didn’t like her because she rocked the boat and and didn’t want to/was unable to behave like Kate did.

I mean, I can see qhere she is coming from, but what she is saying is an order of magnitude more serious.

An accusation of racism here can end your career, proven or not.

Edit: I’m not particularly invested in the royal family either, fwiw, but I have to ask the question, why is the standard here the US standard?

I don’t know. I put the British Tabloids 100% in the fully racist category, and I still the Royal Family in with them.

There is plenty of other evidence to the fact, so, the Royals are shitty shitty shitty people, so being racist seems like it would go hand in hand.

I have some hope for William and Kate, but anyone in Charles’ generation or prior… Yeah, I would 100% buy that they are a bunch of in breed racist white trash living off of Government welfare, and squatting on public land. But with better PR

Is doing alot of work here.

And they probably are shitty. Isn’t every fanily to a degree? I know my own has more than a few issues.

They are the lowest of the low and the fact if their existence baffles me in the same country that gave us fucking Shakespeare among so many others.

I rank them as a social ill on par with FB.

But here’s the thing, absolutely none of this should have come as a surprise to her.

If I was getting married to a Royal believe me I’d be taking lessons on how to deal with the media.

He’s 73 or so right?

So 1950. Yeah attitudes of people born in 1950, old fashioned.

So far, you have just said the royal family aren’t particularly pleasant.

So what?

That doesnt make Meghan correct.

They own the land and government, and this is 100% you imposing your prejudices.

So, going back to this documentary, it looks like cashing in, exaggerations and milking the situation.

Royal Family = easy target.

I’m also from the US but I’m not quite as certain that such a question would be universally Not OK.

I’m white so it is all hearsay but much of it seems to depend on context. From friends and family it could be taken in the same way as questions about whether you think the baby will have it’s mother’s hair or it’s father’s eyes; the type of question that might be asked of any couple. But it’s touchy and the acceptableness of the question is going to depend on the nature of the interactions prior to the question, how it is said, and all sorts of other things. Your MIL asking with a disapproving sniff versus your close friend praising both parents in a joking manner.

I should mention I have not watched the documentary and I stopped following this royal drama a long time ago, so it is possible, maybe likely, that I am missing a tonne of context, and thus my conclusions are in error.

Hopefully I signposted this enough earlier by saying “My impression,” but I thought it worth making explicit.

And I probably won’t watch the documentary.

There’s just something off about crying victimhood whilst benefitting from the situation.

Totally agree with you.

Yeah it’s questioned all the time in the US. It’s something that white people probably don’t, but other races have no issue raising the question in my experience.