WTH? What's up in Austria

Sure you can.
“Wife? Kids? You’re going on vacation!”

This is a horrible story, but Chinese Lawyer did get a laugh out of me.

Thank God they finally found this out. Though the sickening thing is that the father was obviously somewhat ready to be found – if he’d been twisted enough he could have offed the sick 19-year-old, but it looks like he couldn’t bring himself to do that. So after thoroughly destroying his daughter’s life, he basically turns himself in. He’s 73 already. What are they going to do to him? He’s already had his daughter’s whole young adulthood to himself. He’s accomplished his sick fucking plan and now he’s an old man having devastated his whole family. It’s too late for him to experience anything that could possibly compare to what he did.

Though sticking him in a third-world prison, giving the inmates there a bunch of articles about him, and then letting nature take its course would probably be about as close as you could come. Too bad that’ll never happen.

I am perfectly in favor of, if the facts are as stated, his going through the trial process and his sitting out the rest of his life in a clean, thoroughly-guarded prison with no chance of shanking or prison-rape.

Though I’d prefer a lawful, clean, and orderly bullet through the head for him.

I was wondering, is Prison rape an US thing? or is it like that in Europe too??

What, no outraged calls for burying him up to his head and letting fire ants eat his eyes? You people are losing your touch with all this clean and decisive stuff about a bullet through the head. I know you can pound your chests harder than that!

-Tom

shrug

I’ve never been one for the death-by-State-sanctioned-torture camp. But I’m definitely in favor of specific deterrence, so whatever keeps him in jail for the rest of his life without the ability to fuck up another human’s life.

Well, to your credit, Aaron, you at least began with a disclaimer about letting the justice system do its thing. I was mostly goofing on Lum’s bullet-through-the-head suggestion in post #14.

-Tom

Ah, ok.

I was replying to RepoMan in post #23. :)

It wasn’t chest-beating (“I’LL PUT A BULLET IN HIS HEAD, BECAUSE I AM MACHO MAN RAWWR”). It wasn’t even really baying for vengeance, because none qualifies.

It’s simply to fulfill two imperatives:

a) to put a sick dog down humanely, because this act clearly shows that he is not fit to function in society, ever.

b) by so doing, serving as an example to others.

Putting a 73-year old man in prison isn’t a deterrent, it’s social security.

The real tragedy is that the survivors’ lives are broken, probably beyond repair.

That’s a nice backpedal, Lum, the way you bring up the supposed punitive and deterrent effects of shooting a criminal through the head instead of submitting him to due process. Because, yeah, your comment was really a keen observation on the Austrian justice system.

But I still think these ‘By gosh, we should just shoot him/let ants eat his eyes!’ posts are just shallow puffery, and they’re all the more disappointing when they’re from intelligent people.

-Tom

I don’t think a “kill the bastard!” response has to be “shallow puffery”. Why can’t it be a visceral response to an extreme sort of tragedy?

Well, by “shallow puffery”, I mean it’s poorly thought out and it often has more to do with the person posting showing off than anything else. But there’s no reason that “shallow puffery” can’t also be a “visceral response”. :)

Heck, I have a visceral response to this kind of stuff – I can’t imagine who wouldn’t – but I don’t feel the need to publicly call for various forms of barbarism to be substituted for the legal system. Arrest the fucker and let the Austrian courts try him and then punish him. That’s what they’re there for.

-Tom

That’s too bad, because I can totally think of the appropriate punishment – BUKKAKE!!!

You know who else came from Austria?

Falco.

True. But he’s dead now.

(Rock Me Amadeus!)

Well if by function, you mean without doing serious harm to others.

b) by so doing, serving as an example to others.

And this is just absurd. People this messed up don’t consider deterrents. Death penalty as an “example” for extreme crimes just doesn’t work because there’s something deeply wrong with the person to begin with.

As a shallow pufferer, I’ll say that I’m torn between “justice” in the sense of “a civilized society is better than this evil horrid parody of a father, and the system should have its orderly way with him”, and “justice” in the sense of “he should be done unto as he did unto his own daughter.”

I have a daughter, and the thought of what this ghastly creature did to his is so abhorrent that all I can viscerally think of is what could and should be done to him in return.

Of course it will never happen and no matter what he hasn’t got 31 years of life left in him, so it could never measure up to the 31 years of hell he put his daughter through. Which is Just Not Fucking Fair on some karmic / revengeful level.

I don’t care about making an example of him. I strongly doubt that his example will be repeated anytime soon. All I want, and it’s purely hateful but there it is anyway, is for him to suffer like he made his daughter suffer.

And there it is. All the death penalty and other forms of corporal punishment do is serve to make people feel better through spectacle. It does no real good.

It’s a hop and skip away from this, to lynching someone because they shrunk your penis.

I don’t agree.

I could go into the details, but since this isn’t the P&R thread, I don’t want to start a debate about capital punishment.