X4 - Now with more flyable ships

Do you all have screen space reflections on, and what form of FSAA are people using? Also should I be hooking up a gamepad for this? Or is M/KB fine?

This is the rare space I feel works best with KBM, just toggle between flight modes as needed (Shift+Spacebar). It’s as much a fleet/empire management game as it is a space sim so you’ll frequently need the mouse even if you’re flying with a gamepad. That being said, gamepad works fine for flying around.

I turned AA off and I believe the screen reflections are on, if that’s the default setting.

Can your ships claim other abandoned ships when they find them? I selected the option but it doesnt seem to do anything.

They have to have a marine onboard, which you generally don’t bother with on most ships since enemies never try to board you. Without a marine you have to manually do it by spacewalking and then fly it to a station yourself to get a pilot.

I tried to do the end of the 1st tutorial, where you land on the carrier and I could never get it to work. It kept saying line stuff up. I thought I was doing it, then… nothing.

Make sure you request docking permissions, if necessary. Shift+D when you have the carrier selected. You should see green lights leading you to the landing pad. From there:

1. Reticle needs to be lined up on the center marker.
  2. Left/Right axis needs to be lined up, so the blue indicator of your ship is over the landing point indicator.
  3. Move forward over the pad until you see the bottom triangle line up with the landing point indicator. You ship should be a blue diamond pointing down towards it, the landing point a red indicator pointing up towards it.
  4. Lower your ship onto the platform, making sure you stay lined up. Downward/upward triangles should meet and you should land.

Since that sounds way more complicated than it is, here’s a video.

Thank you. I did all that but maybe I’d fudged something up since I’d been running the tutorial so long. Will try a fresh one.

Do you know where there’s a keyboard map with ALL the keyboard controls on it (nicely laid out)? I’ve gone through like 15 and they all have stuff totally wrong, or missing lots.

Is there any way to directly open messages here?

Thanks!

I don’t offhand. A bunch of stuff can be done through your ship menu (hit Enter) or via interaction menus (right-click on the selected object or hit F when selected). Other than that, I just skimmed through the keybinds in the in-game settings. The ones I most commonly use:

Shift-1 - Travel mode (also X)
Shift-2 - Scan mode (also V)
Shift-3 - Long Range Scanner

Shift-A - Autopilot to destination
Shift-D - Request docking / Undock
Ctrl-D - Stand up in ship
Shift-Space - Toggles between M/KB control schemes.
Ctrl-Space - Toggle flight assist on/off (off means you can turn the nose of your ship without losing speed)
Ctrl-H - Turn off the cockpit display
M - Brings up the map
R - hold to charge long range scanner when in that mode or fire missiles if in combat.

When you’re flying (not walking around the ship) you can move the cursor over Messages and click it. It’s also in the Personal | Logbook menu. There’s hotkeys for each but I always get to menus by hitting M to bring up the map. Click the Personal icon up top, then look for Logbook icon along the left. It’ll show you your message history.

Cool txs!

How does Shift-N differ from Shift-Space?

I don’t think I’ve tried Shift-N so I’m not sure what it does. :)

In tutorial is says it is direct mouse steering.

Sounds like it’s another key combo that does the same thing as Shift-Spacebar, in that case. Shift-Spacebar is a lot easier for me to reach though!

That’s interesting, though, because the tutorial had me do Shift-Space.

The tutorial has you do both. But Shift-N is just when you’re going to take off from the dock and the wording is different. So shift-space is “mouse steering”, but shift-n is “direct mouse steering”.

I’m using this to make a keyboard map but I can’t figure out how to save my changes. Can anyone help?

http://isometricland.net/keyboard/keyboard-diagram-x4-foundations.php?sty=15&lay=1&fmt=3&ten=1

Oooh, gotcha. I didn’t know about the latter!

So @jpinard, I’ve gotta work all evening so I need to game vicariously through you. I’ve been curious about the difference between Shift+Space and Shift+N in practice, how do they differ? Which one do you prefer?

Ohhh I’m sorry. I had to quit for the night. Can only game in short bursts since my spine and mousing arm are so messed up. Will be at it again tomorrow though :)

That looks pretty slick! But it appears it is designed for you to simply print from, unless you want to submit your changes back to the website author as a new/updated template.