X4 - Now with more flyable ships

I had to fall back to lick my wounds for a while but I had a pretty decent industrial base to replace losses with. I spent the last couple days just working on my economy and its really humming along now. The Paranid civil war and the Teladi fighting with the Xenon have created a serious demand for ships! I feel like a war profiteer.

Xenon aren’t in retreat yet, but that’s gonna change here soon, I reckon!

*cracks knuckles*

Ooo, I didn’t know that, I was already considering a Free Families start for my next run. I might have to do that. At the very least, next time I’m going to get seriously involved in some faction wars. This game I’ve kept everyone friendly as I’ve mostly been focused on the Xenon and really playing heavily in the economy.

I wonder if you don’t focus on the Xenon – or even don’t sell ship parts to the Teladi and so on – if they’ll be able to hold off the Xenon. It sounds like not, but maybe that’s just your storytelling. :-)

You hear some people talk about Xenon getting steamrolled in their playthroughs while in others they go on a rampage so that’s a very good question. My first playthrough they had almost wiped out the Free Families faction and had taken a couple other sectors. From what Mysterial said a while back, as they take sectors they leave garrisons behind which slows them down and if they push too far they start bumping up against more enemies. I’m guessing at a certain point equilibrium is reached but where that point is differs from playthrough to playthrough.

I should start a game at some point, park myself in a safe spot, and just let leave the game running overnight. It would be interesting to see how things evolve from day to day.

How should X4 be controlled? M&K, XBox controller, or trusty old TM HOTAS X?

It’s one of the few games like this where I prefer the M&K, although I played previous games in the series using a HOTAS. Gamepad works fine for flying as well but you’ll probably want to make sure you have a mouse and keyboard nearby (which is why I ultimately just prefer to fly using it as well). This game is as much Anno 3330 as it is a game where you fly around and blow things up.

I picked this up and started playing last night.

Still at the foot of the learning cliff. :)

Using an xbox elite controller, would work much better if you could set modifiers in the bindings like Elite Dangerous allows.

Edit to specify modifiers on the controller, not just modifiers in general.

Think I might bite the bullet on this one even though it’s only on sale by 30% (on GOG). What’s the best way to learn? I followed some sort of “merchant getting started” guide in X3TC after I gave up on the tutorial when it asked me to shoot something in a ship without a gun.

I can’t vouch for them since I haven’t watched them but there some new Getting Started videos based on the 3.0 version of the game that are recent.

I’m the type that unfortunately doesn’t learn well from videos and that sort of thing, I have to get my hands dirty and so I learned by jumping in and playing around. For my part I did some tutorials to get the hang of basic controls and concepts, then I just started playing. Playing was accompanied by quick and fairly frequent trips to Google for things I wanted to know more about or wasn’t clear on.

Sorry, I’m probably not much help in terms of suggestions. If you do pick it up I’d be happy to try to answer any questions you might have as you go, though. :)

Yeah, I don’t really see myself watching a video. The guide I followed last time was basically like: do this mission, look for missions here, buy some stuff here and sell it there, now go on a long journey to get a better freighter–and here’s what you should do to prepare. It was written out so I was alt-tabbing back and forth.

I think I’ll just dive in and see how it goes. Hopefully what I can remember from X3TC will help me with some of the conceptual issues.

Here’s my extremely quick getting started:

1. Learn the basics of how to control your ship and at least get a passing familiarity with the 4 modes on your ship: normal, short-range scan, long-range scan, travel. The two scan modes aren’t too important immediately, but travel mode you’ll use a lot! I think it’s X / Shift+4 by default.
  2. Missions can be a decent source of money at the start, but there’s RNG on where/when they show up and what you need to do. The game seems less mission-focused than X3:TC from what I can recall. I can remember in X3 doing a lot of “defend this station from pirates” type of missions but that sort of thing doesn’t exist here.
  3. Asteroid crystals are a good source of early money. They are tricky to spot at first but A) you can get the hang of it and B) there is a Crystal Finder mod to help spot the close ones easier if you’re comfortable/okay with modding.
  4. Regardless of how you make money, I’d recommend the first thing you buy to be a couple M-size mining ships. They can supply you with a nice steady passive income as you play. You can tell them to automatically mine things like Ore or Silicon (the latter is more valuable) or you can kind of manually order them around mining Nvidium at first for a big chunk of change. You can only sell this resource at Teladi Trade Docks and since there’s no outputs for this resource, the market for it will eventually dry up. It’s a nice boost right at the start, though!

For the mining ships, you can fly them yourself but IMO they’re more designed to have AI captains do the work for you.

Sweet, thanks!

I should probably try to find a “differences from X3TC” list somewhere, but since there was that one in between I guess it’s pretty unlikely.

I like the sound of that. I was always a bit frustrated that the fastest way to earn money was to look around for the big-paying trade missions.

So I did the tutorials and then started the “young gun”. I… don’t know what to do, lol. I thought it would start me off with some missions because it says that it has tutorials, but maybe that’s just the basic ones you trigger yourself?

Lol. But the computer voice that announces the ships when you select them brought on a huge wave of X nostalgia.

I was actually thinking this too. Where can I find some asteroid fields?

Quite a few places. Grand Exchange has a ton. Trinity Sanctum III (I think, can’t remember the number for certain. It’s the one with the Paranid shipyard) has a small asteroid field but for whatever reason I have good luck there. Just might be RNG.

if you’re up in the north in Split space, Family Zhin is great. Argon Prime has a good amount of asteroids as well, I think.

One of those should be in the neighborhood depending on where you’re at currently.

From memory it gives you tips about using the scan mode on the station to find missions, you have to do this to trigger the story chain (I think).

Thanks! I got the plot mission started and I ended up in Grand Exchange and found some crystals that are apparently worth a few hundred thousand. Now I just need to figure out where to sell them…

Any station will buy them, but they’re considered personal inventory and not ship cargo. So when you dock at a station, go to the Trader Corner (I think that’s what it is called) and there will be an NPC there that will buy them from you.

Ah, thank you! I thought to try that but then the station I was on didn’t have a trader there. I think it was probably a solar power factory or something like that that I had no business on. Then I forgot.