X4 - Now with more flyable ships

Oh, good idea. Since the achievements were hit-or-miss anyway, I’ll definitely try that next time through.

Can be wishlisted on GOG too:

https://www.gog.com/game/x4_cradle_of_humanity

And I’m excited to see Terrans back. I loved what they did back in X3 with Terran Conflict (and Albion Prelude later), so I’m expecting great things here as well!

This is what was predicted earlier in the thread, but I still wish it were the Boron instead. :(

Curious what they mean by “terraforming” - planets have never been anything other than window decoration in this series.

I think one of the devs had stated the issues with implementing the Boron was art design. Boron stations would have to be aquatic for instance.

Yeah, I’m curious too.

Yeah, I was intrigued by that. It will be very interesting if planets become something that can be utilized in some way as opposed to just part of the skybox.

I’m guessing something with Asteroids since they are the only celestial bodies in the game.

Yeah, I get that, but still…

Boron’s were my favorite till this recent iteration of them. A certain researcher makes me want to kill them all. :)

I may be underthinking this, but couldn’t the Boron stations have reception areas for non-aquatic life? It seems like a silly reason not to do something in a medium in which you can depict almost anything.

Egosoft really upper their game in Split Vendetta in regards to ship design and it looks like they continue to step it up with this expansion.

I see on Steam that this has full controller support. Is it a potential couch chill game, or is it really controller plus tons of keyboard shortcuts?

More the latter. Flying around the ship with gamepad works just great but as a game where you also play admiral of the fleet and CEO of an interstellar trade empire there’s a lot of need for a mouse.

With this on sale, I’m thinking of jumping in. I see a lot of Steam reviews noting serious performance issues, but little mention that Issue here. Do you all have monster rigs?

I have a 3+ year old machine, Core i7-6700k and GTX1080. Be aware that the game is CPU bound which is probably where some of the performance complaints are coming from. A RTX 2080ti isn’t going to help you when you’re throttled by the CPU and a lot of gamers skimp on CPU since it’s usually the GPU that is the limiting factor.

There are certain situations in game that can degrade performance, but nothing unplayably low for me. Building one massive space station complex can do it, splitting it up in 2-3 separate stations alleviates that. Areas with lots of asteroids will be lower FPS in general.

The new human ship designs look so homeworldy, i like it.

It is; the whole game works with a controller as advertised.

The amount of total chill you feel though will depend on your tolerance for managing the empire stuff, that while doable is 10x easier with a keypress…