~The Game Pass Thread~

That is a fantastic gif.

The Game Pass for PC app says a game called Boyfriend Dungeon is on Game Pass now. An Action Roguelike and dating sim? What? Is this like ketchup and ice cream? (Yuck) Or is it like celery and peanut butter?

Oh, RPS did a little article on this game. Sounds wacky. You date…weapons?

Library of Ruina is…interesting. I have very little idea of what’s going to happen in combat before I hit resolve. I did find a guide that I plan to read, though:

By the way, celery and peanut butter is also awful, because celery is the worst vegetable in history, and not even peanut butter can cover up its disgusting taste.

Library of Ruina is by totally nonsensical in it’s explanation of the game.

Yeah, it’s an action RPG where you can date your weapons. Been in development for four years, then they surprise dropped it today.

I watched the trailer for the game and I believe I understand less about the game now than I did before I watched it.

I think it’s probably not all that tough to understand except maybe the intricacies of combat. Even without knowing those I’ve managed to win the first two fights quite handily (which is not, I suppose, much of an accomplishment). I talked about it a little bit in the Deckbuilders thread.

The setting/premise is a little bonkers, but you don’t need to understand it to get going.

Ya, the basic gameplay doesn’t seem super complex, but there are some things that make it confusing:

1. The world/story is entirely nonsensical, from what I can tell. Like really, just bonkers stuff.
  2. The UI for dealing with stuff, at least on the XBox, is fairly cumbersome and confusing. It’s better now that I understand what’s going on a bit more, but early on it’s weird.

The world seems to be kind of cyberpunky in the “everything is shit” sense, but no high technology, maybe closer to something like, I don’t know, Hunger Games, socially? Or just “South Korean urban capitalism cranked to the maxxx.” Clearly there’s also some magical shit going on. Like I said there are people with a couple hundred hours in this on Steam, so I would imagine there’s a lot of story in there, maybe too much.

Watched a friend stream some Boyfriend Dungeon yesterday. The systems seem well done, if cribbing from various other games and the art, voice work, and music are all solid - much better than I’d expect from the average indie game. From what I could tell the combat was also fine and as you rank up the different weapons/boyfriends via dates they unlock additional abilities. Not my thing however the game looks well done if it’s yours.

There doesn’t seem to be any penalty to losing in Ruina, FYI.

The game seems very goth.

Make sure you turn off the auto die rolls option in the upper-left corner. It’s on by default, which is mind boggling, since new players (myself included during EA) are going to think “WTH just happened?!” as combat’s resolved.

OMFG THANK YOU.

I can’t believe they shipped with quick mode on. How are you supposed to understand the systems when by default is just skips to the result. I seriously thought I was getting too old for gaming. I was like, this it, I’m done, I can’t learn new rules anymore. But it was just hiding the mechanics!

This song though…

Back 4 Blood open beta is up on gamepass now

Wow, you’re right, that song is something. The lyrics are what really set it apart.

What on earth just happened with that song? This went ALL OVER THE PLACE! Wow… I think I need a moment to reflect…!

If that’s the same song that plays at the beginning of the game it’s total, grammatically correct, nonsense.

I had to listen to that just out of curiosity but, um, I don’t know what I just listened to. Love if someone could break that down. It’s probably just out of context. Right? Tell me I’m right.

The song is even weirder when you have the introduction animation from the game to go with it.

You guys are making me install this now. That song…I don’t even…