~The Game Pass Thread~

I take it, from what people are saying, paying developers more is a bad thing?

We’re also bringing more quality-of-life improvements to PC gamers, including improved install reliability and faster download speeds over the next few months. We look forward to sharing more details on that soon.

Would be nice if one of these quality of life improvements was finally abandoning the file encryption and letting us install games wherever we want and mod them however we want.

But…I am sceptical that’s actually gonna happen.

Your prediction is exactly opposite of what MS is saying.

We believe it’s important that players have a choice in where they purchase games and we want to make accessing content even easier. We know that the PC community uses multiple storefronts, which is why we also brought Sea of Thieves , Halo: The Master Chief Collection , Microsoft Flight Simulator, Age of Empires I, II, and III: Definitive Edition, and Forza Horizon 4 to Steam

This is one of the most exciting pieces for me:

We know many of you play across more than just your PC, including on Xbox and mobile. That’s why we’re excited to announce Halo Infinite will support multiplayer cross-play and cross-progression when it releases later this year. That means if you’re playing on PC, you can play with your friends on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. It also means that your multiplayer customization and progress will follow you across all platforms

I really hope they lean into cross-progression more, at least with their first party games. That is a feature I use constantly and always feels magical to be playing a game on console then shutting it down to continue on the PC with all progression/saves intact. I love that.

I’ve never played Planet Coaster, but I have to admit this Ghostbusters themed DLC does catch my attention. It’s worth noting that while Planet Coaster is currently on Game Pass, this DLC is not and costs $14.99. Oh well.

I don’t put a lot of stock in PR.

So, what is the source of your knowledge?

I assume that is it just unadulterated pessimism, which is sometimes confused with Wisdom.

Obfuscated file system, bad downloading/queuing/updating system and shit UWP app ugh. GFWLive2021 still sort of fucking sucks.

It’s speculation based on the history of the gaming market as well as looking at how the video streaming market evolved. Game Pass looks a lot like the early days of Netflix streaming right now and early Netflix streaming is very different from present day in regards to content etc.

And why is it pessimism about whether something is sold on Steam or not? Man I’m old enough to remember when people were outraged they had to use Steam at all…

That’s fine, but I would imagine that if MS were planning to stop releasing on Steam in the near future corporate would’ve said to not mention Steam once in the announcement.

I also don’t think Game Pass for PC is that much of a direct threat to Steam and vice versa. A lot of the MS games are selling like crazy on Steam despite people being able to access them via Game Pass. I am constantly amazed how often Sea of Thieves is on or near the Steam top sellers list.

Douglas Adams said it best.

“I’ve come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
  2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
  3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

Ding ding ding. Tell him what he won, Don!

Microsoft currently lets you link your gamepass stuff to Steam, doesn’t it? I’m pretty sure I did that at some point.

These 2 Chrome (or Firefox) extensions are good to have:

Absolutely no one said that.

But developers aren’t getting to get paid more. It will be profit for the publishers. This will help some exec get a Ferrari.

I know a lot of indies self-publish these days using the ID@Xbox program for Xbox and Windows, and I’m sure on other platforms too. Right? I don’t know if this is the golden age of Indies or not, but it seems to be.

Time to play some games.

Bye bye:

• Alan Wake
  • DayZ
  • Dungeon of the Endless
  • Fifas (4 of them, in a couple days)
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Nba Live 18

On pc only:

• Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2
  • Hotline Miami
  • Plebby Quest (is this worth it? I quit 5 minutes into the tutorial)

Weird Alan Wake is leaving. Didn’t MS publish it?