Xbox Live is dead. Long live Xbox network.

Title Xbox Live is dead. Long live Xbox network.
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When March 22, 2021

Microsoft has rebranded their gaming network from Xbox Live to the more plain-sounding Xbox network. Microsoft confirmed the change to The Verge and explained that the move was made to distinguish the service from the subscription plan..

Read the full article

The header image shows Live Gold being crossed out, but my understanding is that Xbox Live Gold will still exist.

“’Xbox network’ refers to the underlying Xbox online service, which was updated in the Microsoft Services Agreement,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge . “The update from ‘Xbox Live’ to ‘Xbox network’ is intended to distinguish the underlying service from Xbox Live Gold memberships.”

It’s a weird decision because “Gold” sounds like an upgrade, and yet now there is no such thing as base Xbox Live.

I feel like the super cheap conversion from XBLG is going to be going away soon.

Exactly.

For those of us who took advantage of the super cheap conversion from XBLG a year or two ago (and are still coasting on that conversion), is it still possible to buy another couple years of XBLG and then convert that again, too?

If your subscription expires, yes, you can do it again. It costs $14.99 to convert from Gold to Ultimate after you’ve done it once, but you do convert all the Gold time into Ultimate time 1:1. I haven’t tried it myself but that’s what other Qt3 forum denizens reported.

Nice! I’ve got more than a year until my subscription expires, so I suppose if Microsoft clamps down before then I’ll be out in the cold. I’ll keep it in mind, though!

It was called “Xbox Live Silver” in the past. Sounds like now they want “Xbox Live” to be synonymous with the paid Gold service going forward. Feels like they’re just shuffling terminology for no real benefit here.

yeah, you are able to have a base XBox live account, it just doesn’t allow you to do most of the stuff you want.

Hello, have you met corporate America?

The difference between Xbox Live and Xbox Live Gold could be confusing. That said, it had been around for like 15 years so people were pretty much used to it.

I just do not understand this. Throwing away the brand name recognition of the one thing their console did first and better than any competitor.

Ya, I don’t really see the point of this rebranding either… Sometimes marketing folks just like to do shit so they seem like they’re doing something useful.

Wait, the Xbox is still a thing? Are they even making any games for it?

-Tom, only partly trolling

LOL.

Yeah,but you don’t have to pay for the games now, you just play the curated subscription.

Those damn millennials don’t know what ownership means,as they have never owned anything in their life!

Wasted all that money on avocado toast and soy flat white matcha lattes, now you’re renting games! That’ll teach you kids!

In all seriousness, Gamepass is basically like a steam library now. I’ve got too many games to play just sitting there waiting for me.

It’s a subscription backlog.