XBOX Live: Settlers of Catan tomorrow! (Wednesday)

Unclegamer.com?

Yep.

I finally got a game in last night, which Delirium won in one big swoop at the end. Good stuff. I hope to see more folks playing this thing.

I was dangling for a game last night but Ben was busy fighting Imps on Mars :o

Fear and terror stalk the Catan board like two great stalky things!

I was having a really hard time getting wood in that game.

Wait, that came out all Tim Elhajj-y. Good game, though. I’m fairly certain I could have won in two more turns if he hadn’t taken the longest road away from me. With that wheat port and my massive wheat production, chances were good that I’d be able to do a city upgrade once per turn.

Man, I just got my ass handed to me three times in a row on Medium. In all three cases I had gotten a pretty good lead early on, and then the A.I. basically shunned me making trading impossible. Fuckers.

I can’t believe I’ve never played this before.

Yeah, me too. Having no wood make it difficult to expand. I probably should have tried to hit a port much earlier becaus of it.

I would have normally gone for that wheat port right away (that was my intention during placement), except that I drew the Road Building card on the second turn. With that, I decided that I could reach that farther “6” wood hex for the same resource expenditure that it would cost me to reach the port (one paid road extension plus the cost of placing a settlement), giving me access to wood AND the longest road.

My mistake was in not playing the road building card right away. I decided to hold it until I had the resources to do the extension and place the settlement all at once, figuring that you guys might not trade with me if you knew what I was up to. I figured that with wood in relatively short supply, nobody would be able to cut me off anyway. But then fuzzyslug played a Road Building card of his own, and went for the exact same spot, cutting me off. Doh!

Man, I just got my ass handed to me three times in a row on Medium. In all three cases I had gotten a pretty good lead early on, and then the A.I. basically shunned me making trading impossible.

I sincerely recommend quit doing that and simply joining the MP crowd instead. SoC is not really meant to be played with AIs, no matter how much effort they put into it. It just lacks of the fun of guessing the other players’ intentions or milking opponents who are desperate for some resource.

-Julian

OTOH, you can fly through an AI game pretty quickly (sometimes 20 minutes or less, since they take very little time doing their turns), so it’s a pretty good method for learning or testing strategies, especially for folks who have never played the board game.

Real men do all that in MP matches. ;P Not like we had AIs available way back when the boardgame came out in the cold winter of 1943 or something!

-Julian

JD, what’s your gamertag? We definitely need some more people to play with. That’ll be why I’m playing the AI.

I’m “Crumpie” and am def. up for getting slaughtered. It’s easilly been 10 years since I played it.

If you haven’t already done so, please post your Gamertag here…

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=28395&highlight=gamertag

…so fellow Qt3’ers can add you to their friends list (and them to yours).

Sounds like you could use some little blue pills.

Anyways, I’m “Reldan” and I’m usually up for some Catan just about anytime I’m on. Maybe we should have a qt3 Catan game night?

Also, add your gamertag to your location field. Makes it easier to figure out who you are.

How about Sunday evening, around 8:30 EST? Maybe we can get a couple of games going.

Having access to that wood was pretty clutch for me since you guys couldn’t get a hold of much of it… especially at the beginning. I was able to expand early and get a good head start. I definitely got pretty lucky, particularly that my first two development cards were of the Victory point adding type. Once Ben got wood (heh heh) at the end there, things were going to turn around quickly for him.

To the guy before who said it’s hard to keep track of everything that’s going on - playing with actual people is much more manageable. I had the same problem playing against the AI… they would take their turns so fast and cards would just be flying all over the place and I couldn’t at all keep track of who had what. But against humans, particularly when you’re communicating over the mic, you can discuss what everyone has and needs and it really helps you keep track of things. Human players take more time to play their turns, which also makes it more manageable. I would have to agree that playing against other people is a better way to learn the game than against the AI.

I don’t doubt that’s a good idea, but I don’t have a Gold membership. Plus, my ego is fragile enough without being crushed in MP by the Qt3 Catan elite.

Grr, I wish MS would increase the size of the friends list already. I’m constantly shuffling whenever a new game comes out.