XBOX Live: Settlers of Catan tomorrow! (Wednesday)

What’s the maximum number of friends one can have on their friends list?

How many friends can you have?

1. I suppose it’s limited for performance issues with the databases, but it’s just not enough. Between my RL friends, QT3 and GT mine filled up quickly.

On topic, I should be around tonight so if anyone sees me on shoot me an invite. I’m up for a few games of this and that.

Just picked up catan this afternoon, gamer tag is cyclohexene. I’m going to try to be on tonight.

Wow. I just managed to beat three hard AI (unlocked achievement) while having only 21 resource dots (three settlements) for nearly the entire game, and access to only Wood, Brick, and Grain for the entire game. I did have access to a ‘?’ port and Ore port, but the Ore port was useless, since I didn’t have access to any Ore tiles. I had the largest army, longest road, and two VP cards, though, and managed to get my finally point when I placed my fourth settlement.

Before I could place that settlement, though, I needed a Wool. Since I didn’t have access to any and didn’t have enough cards to use the Port, I decided to play my last army card in the hopes that I would steal one of the 3 Wool cards in play. I looked at the board and realized Red had the best access to Wool, but only held 3 cards. Still, I played the army and ended up stealing a Wool from Red! Game over!

Of interest: One of the AI players plopped a settlement on one of the other AI’s longest road, thereby segmenting it and giving the Longest Road VPs to me! haha

What do the ? ports do and to activate a port do you need to have a road crossing in front of it?

Normally trading resources is 4:1 ratio. ? ports give you a 3:1 for all resources. A specific port gives you a 2:1 for the designated resource. i.e. The sheep port will allow you to trade in 2 sheep for any 1 card in return.

You have to have a settlement on one of the corners of the port.

The ? ports let you trade any resource from the ports on a ratio of 3:1.

And no, you don’t need a road between the two slots where you can build a port. Just build a port on either of the two slots, as long as you obey the other rules for settlement placement (has to be two spots away from the nearest settlement).

I’ll just drop that I’m very willing to play Catan at any time.

Add me if you’re looking for more people. I went and did a sweep this evening and sent out some friends requests, but I’m sure I didn’t get everyone and Live wouldn’t even let me add Jason.

Is everyone experiencing bad connectivity issues with Catan? It’s even booted me off of Live a couple times. Then I’m stuck in sort of a limbo state where something, somewhere thinks I’m still in the game. We tried having 3 different people host and not one worked. Hopefully there will be a patch soon because even when we do get connected someone frequently gets dropped.

If anyone sees me playing Catan, I’m up for multiplayer…but I received a
buddy code for LotRO, so I’ll be trying to squeeze as much as possible out of
the week :)

(Of course, that goes for R6V, also - if I fire it up, I’m up for some multiplayer!)

Occasionally, we’ve had problems with the lobby when the fourth person joins.

Sounds a bit like the problem with Worms, except when a FIFTH person tries
to join, there is trouble. Sounds like similar buggy APIs there.

Okay, so what’s the ? card for?

Played a coworker in MP last night and won, even though she was an experienced Catan player and I’m not… I’d set the AI player to Easy so that the competition would primarily be between me and her. That had the unintended effect of me winning in large part because the Easy AI is such a horrible trader. The AI pretty much handed me the game. Next time we’ll have to set the AI to medium.

Development cards.

I’m assuming he is asking about the trading interface. It’s to signal that you’ll take or give any resource card instead of a specific one. You cannot trade development cards.

Really? I could have sworn it was for development cards. Why would anyone ever NOT specify the type of card(s) he wants?

“Here’s a brick. I don’t care what you give me, because I don’t want to build a road, settlement, city, or draw a development card.”

I use it to fish for what’s out there and see what others are looking for in general. It’s especially good to try before an expensive port trade. It’s signifying that you’ll give or take anything in exchange for the other specified card(s).

One thing that makes this version of the game very different from how we always played the board game is that in this version you don’t have to play your victory point cards.

When we played, we always played with the rule that you had to play your victory point cards, and just like all other development cards, you could only play one per turn. So if you wanted to get your victory point cards out, you had to do plan in advance.

I suppose that must have been a house rule or a rule variant, since in this electronic version, which I assume is faithful to the REAL rules, you don’t have to expose your victory point cards until the end of the game, and you never have to play them until you declare yourself the winner.

This actually affects the game a LOT. Since this is now the best way to win stealthily without being targetted by other players as being the front runner, or exposing your real score.

You would use it the other way most often, along the lines of “I really need brick, I’ve got tons of everything else, make an offer.” You could still use it the other way though. If you’re sitting on the only brick hex that’s yielded anything by turn five or something, the rest of the players are probably pretty anxious to get bricks. You can test the waters and see what they’ll offer you for it.