Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

The method being used to run emulation on XSS and XSX is the same way that’s been done for years with the Xbox One. Since RetroArch doesn’t provide any games, ROM images, or other copyrighted material there’s no grounds for shutting it down.

My Sony TV bricked on a software update after having it for less than two years and I was SOL.

OK, then I’m missing something here. Why did Sony shut down Bleem? Kind of seems like the same deal.

Bleem! - Wikipedia

Oh that hurts, especially because Sony TVs are good and expensive.

My TV has internet connectivity but it hasn’t been online in a couple of years. Why would I want it to be? With all the other streaming boxes that do better. I do understand why TV apps are a thing though, but eventually many people will pick up something that streams better.

Yeah, I’m not going to be buying that brand of TV for a good long time. :)

Wikipedia gave you the answer:

Despite the legal victories, the legal fees allegedly forced the company out of business. eBay auctions of some of the company’s possessions were held soon after - including a huge library of worldwide game releases used for compatibility testing.

Hmm, I guess so. Still seems shaky to me, but I guess all I need to do to give it a shot is pay a one-time $19 fee to activate a developer account and download the emulator. Oh, and I guess I would need access to the ROMs of these games, looks like you can’t just pop in a disc, to answer @Rock8man’s question.

How to turn your Xbox Series X/S into an emulation powerhouse | Ars Technica

Damn, that’s a shame. By the time you get to the PS2 era games, they take up some real space on a hard drive. On my PC, when I ran that same PS2 emulator, I had to rip my games onto my hard drive first, and when I started running out of hard drive space on my PC, I eventually had to erase those games again, thinking I can always rip them to disc again if I need to run the emulator.

This still seems the most useful to me to play classics from older eras, like Chronotrigger and Final Fantasy games. Those still hold up despite the older graphics, and they’re much better today using emulation because of the ability to save anywhere and to fast forward time in the emulator.

Still, it would be neat to finally play some of the games from my PS2 backlog that I got because of Qt3 recommendations that I’ve still never played, but are apparently really good games.

Just updated. A process that took forever on the Xbox One and Xbox One X, even being plugged in with ethernet on a extremely fast pipe, only takes 2-3 minutes, max.

So I had a question about this part. My son isn’t even 4 yet, so I don’t need to worry about this for another few years, but I am wondering:

I think I recall certain Qt3 members having a problem with child accounts once their kids turned 18, they still were treated as children, and couldn’t do certain things on those accounts? So is there a way to convert kid accounts into adult accounts eventually?

This is fixed. You can also just edit an account’s birthday now if you want to enable adult-level access before 18.

Nice! Thanks, that puts my mind at ease.

I wish the Microsoft store had a “search all” for games. Older games are basically impossible to find unless you look for them by name, because all the subcategories aren’t by genre but by “what’s hot”.

I’m actually shocked Microsoft didn’t make a bigger deal out of the noise profile on the XSX after having it for a few weeks. The thing is virtually silent no matter what you do. The noise it produces is effectively sub-ambient. You have to get up right close to it, and place your ear inches from the vent, to really hear the fan.

My PS5 isn’t loud either, but it’s complete madness with my XSX. I’ve actually put my hand on the vent a couple of times to make sure it was spitting out hot air.

The engineering on the XSX is so much more interesting than the PS5. Sony basically made a gaming PC with a really weird ATX case. Microsoft made a gaming PC with a ton of innovative and exotic solutions.

This has been my experience as well. It makes no audible noise that I can detect. I guess if I shut off everything else in the room, including the TV, and put my ear right next to it, maybe I’d hear it.

It think part of this is that the fan is very large, and so doesn’t need to move as fast to move air. Plus, the vertical nature makes it passively move air through itself.

Oh good I thought it was just me thinking my XBX was unnaturally quiet. My PC rig is like a house party compared to the XBX. The XBX is whisper quiet.

Yesterday, I fired up Hotshot Racing on the Series X. It’s an arcade-style retro racing game on Game Pass. Anyway, on my OG Xbox One, it ran like shit, with a terrible frame rate, but it runs nice and smooth on Series X. But when I went back to my Series X dashboard, the controller was acting all screwed up. When I was trying to navigate the menu, it was usually acting as double inputs. So whether with the analog Left stick or with the d-pad, one move to the right was moving the selection 2 spots instead of one. It was very annoying. I held the Xbox button down and selected Restart Console, but that wasn’t working. So I had to manually press the power button on the Series X for the first time to restart.

It’s a nice power button.

Anyway, everything worked fine after the restart. But I uninstalled Hotshot Racing again. I don’t need mediocre arcade racing game ruining my console experience.

I had Fallen Order crash on me yesterday on my XSX, but it didn’t take my console with it. Hope it was just a one-time thing.