Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

I see that article says it’s not on Gamepass, but I just downloaded it last night.

Booted it up just now (I don’t know why, lol, I have FH 3, 4, and Forza 6 and 7 and have barely touched them. I think I’m addicted to big backlogs!).

A nice quality of life update coming soon!

Xbox Alpha and Alpha Skip Ahead Insiders will now be prompted immediately when an Xbox Series X game needs an update, which means you shouldn’t encounter the all-too-common issue that rudely boots you back to the dashboard, or have to launch a game multiple times before the update prompt appears.

That’s a huge improvement over the current situation as it can take up to 15 seconds for the Xbox to show a user that an update is ready and needs to install. The problem, it seems, was that the notification wouldn’t show up until the console had determined the size of the update, hence the delay. Now, though, users will be notified that a game needs an update right away, and the file size will follow along shortly.

I’m not understanding how that was “one of the most annoying” issues. I’m pretty sure I never hit it?

I mean, my games tend to update themselves when I’m not even there.

I might not be fully understanding what this is about.

Me too. I must be missing something.

IIRC the Xbox Series consoles have two “off” modes. 1 which is off-off and does not update games, but doesn’t use any (much?) power. The other is a rest mode which still uses significant power but can update games.

So most likely this is something annoying encountered by people using the full off mode.

Huh, I use the energy-saving power mode and this doesn’t ring any bells for me either. Am I understanding this correctly that if you’re playing a game and that game gets updated, you’ll get booted back to desktop and required to take the update to continue playing? I’ve seen that on initial install sometimes, if there’s a patch you’ll be required to install it before you can start the game, but not during an actual gameplay session.

Well, they changed it a while back that even the power saving mode also downloaded updates.

But even the non power saving mode uses very little power when it’s sleeping anyway.

It was actually changed pretty recently, like a month or two.

The non-power-saving mode is basically like sleeping your laptop. The other one is like turning your laptop off, so it does nothing.

For whatever reason my X doesn’t seem to download game patches automatically even though I’m pretty sure I enabled that.

Hmm, it definitely should be doing that for you. Are you able to have it install stuff remotely by using the gamepass app?

Is that true, cause I unplugged my Xss because despite it being in rested mode and not turned on in a month it was still warm around the fan vent. I don’t know how power efficient it can be if it’s generating that much heat idle.

Posted upthread, this was the post that made me switch to the power saving mode.

Last year, we made improvements to the console’s Energy Saver sleep mode. Energy Saver mode consumes about 20 times less power than Standby mode when the console is not being used or receiving updates. Now, system and game updates can be downloaded during Energy Saver mode, further saving energy.

20 times less power!

If the Xbox is on fast wake, then you will feel heat even when it’s off because the RAM is still on.

But if it’s on power saving, it should be fully off, and no heat whatsoever.

I installed a bunch of streaming service apps during setup of my Xbox back in February, but I don’t think I’ve tried to use them until earlier this week. I went to whatever the view is to find games and apps on my device, and when I went to the apps section I just got the “I’m thinking, hang on…” spinning progress symbol at first. I backed out and went back in. Same thing. I gave up and waited, about 90 seconds later the apps list finally populated.

I hate this behavior. It’s not the only place it happens, just the most recent example (and the wait time was pretty egregious). There are times in the Xbox interface where it’s got to think about things I really don’t think should take that long to display.

That is one of the most annoying issues, it’s been this way for years, and it’s so dumb that they haven’t fixed it. Call me when they fix something like that, something that matters!

Sorry, this is just random complaining, I was about to delete my post but Timex is responding to something (maybe not even me!)

I’ll leave it up, but feel free to ignore my whining. 🙃

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/power/learn-about-power-modes

Looks like in standby mode (called instant-on) mode, it pulls 13W.
If you put it in power save mode, it essentially turns itself off and kind of goes into hibernate mode, and takes 45 seconds to start up. In this mode, it pulls 0.5W?

It’s the power save mode which used to not download updates, but now apparently it does.

No, you’re right. That still happens to me sometimes. It is indeed very annoying! I’m hoping that’s what gets fixed here. It’s bizarre. Most of the time I don’t get that waiting for lists to populate, but when I do, it seems like I have to wait forever. Maybe it’s a connection problem on my end that moment, or their server, I’m not sure.

Gotcha. I had never actually looked it up, I just noticed the heat and decided for now there wasn’t a reason for me to keep it on

Ya, I did the math just now and leaving it in instant-on mode costs me around $20 for a whole year, so I can live with that.

I might try the power save mode and see if the 45 seconds is annoying or not.

There is something nice about just pushing the button on the controller and having it flip on instantly and be able to be playing a game in a few seconds.

It doesn’t take 45 seconds to power up from energy-saving mode. I’d be surprised if it’s more than half that.