Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

And it’s probably worth pointing out that you can take advantage of Games with Gold offering in other regions without changing your Xbox or account’s home region - you just go to the site and claim the offer. Usually the only challenge is going to be navigating a website that’s in another language, as stusser points out, but your browser probably offers an auto-translate function that will help with that. MS doesn’t seem to care about taking these free games from other regions, I’ve done it quite a few times myself.

Yep. I subscribe to some subreddit that posts them, I think /r/gamedeals does it.

I picked up a Series X a couple weeks ago and WOW-HOT-DAMN I really love everything about it. Quick Resume is especially glorious.

It’s such great hardware. Totally silent.

The silence of the hardware really is crazy when you consider how much hardware is running under the hood. The fact that you basically need to put your hand over the box to feel the warm air blowing out to be able to tell if it’s on, is not something I’ve ever encountered with any modern system.

Not under load, no. Microsoft’s engineering and design team are truly impressive.

That is really nice. I rotated mine in the place I have it so the fan is blowing out into the room since it does generate a good amount of heat. I’ve discovered that lately our couch and my back don’t get along the best so I’ve been wheeling my aeron chair over to game with that. It is really nice gaming on the LG CX 55" though.

Anyone else use a wireless headset with the xbox? I picked up a Razer Kaira from their Black Friday sale, and I notice at times that sound will cut out or the connection drop temporarily. Thinking maybe there is a conflict with other things on 2.4ghz. It fixes itself pretty quickly, but can be annoying.

It’s a far cry from Xbox 360. That’s for sure!

Lol, the 360 was like a jet engine trying to cool itself.

I decided to return the Razer headset since the interference or whatever causing the audio to cut out and sometimes disconnect was too annoying. So back to using the old hyperx cloud wired headset plugged in to my controller. I tempted to try a Turtle Beach Recon controller, and see how their built-in audio bits work with a wired headset. $40 on Amazon for Black Friday, so might be worth a shot.

If you want a very good wireless headset, I recommend the Steel series.

That’s the one I have. There may be a better one now.

I’ve got the Arctis 1 wireless for my series X and have been mostly happy with it. It used to do odd stuff with CoD but I think that is a CoD thing.

I’m wondering if any wireless headset will run into the issue. There is a mesh ap nearby which the Xbox is hooked up to with Ethernet along with the tv, a cordless phone, plus a thing hooked up to the tv to allow more than 1 Bluetooth headset to be used with the tv at once. I could try taking the mesh 2.4 off auto channel select and see if I can find a channel where it no longer happens I guess. I would get the issue with gaming, and also when using an app like YouTube so it wasn’t specific to an application. Since I’m already using a wired controller I’ll probably just stick with a wired headset plugged into this razer Wolverine v2 chroma.

I wish I would’ve planned ahead and bought the Hyperx cloud flight x headset when I bought the hyper cloud flight headset at the beginning of the pandemic. I’m pretty sure they are the same, with just the x being branded for Xbox and having a whitelisted usbid that Xbox allows to be used.

If you’re wired, get a SteelSeries wired headset that you can use with the Series X and your PC.

The problem is really that they are all closed. I have an Arctis 7 too but my wife asked me not to use it anymore as I don’t hear anything going on around me when I wear it. And I understand, I need to be available for her and the kid. On PC I have a wired open but on my console wired is not an option, the Cats won’t have it.

At this point, I’m hoping these are just cult classics we’ve never heard of that are secretly awesome.

Well that’s at least half true.

Open headsets for gaming are crap unless you live alone so I mean it is what it is, but I run into the same problem. I have the Arctis 7P+ and I’d say you would have to try REALLY hard to find anything better. It’s freaking ridiculous. For the Xbox you have to use it wired. For the PS5, Switch, Android phone, PC you can use the adaptor and it works pretty much flawlessly. And you can EQ it to your liking.

I don’t mind having to use it wired for the Xbox. It’s not like I’m dancing around with the controller anyway. :) I don’t find that it blocks out sound that much that I can’t hear. The Hyperx headsets are MUCH worse as they totally block out sound. I frequently scream at the top of my lungs to try to get my daughters attention to no avail when she has hers on. :)

I cannot get the series S to go past 30-35mbps of download speeds. I really have 300 mbps. I tried cable, wifi, manual dns, refreshing the mac, holding the power button for 15 seoncds, I tried a a full reset of the console, enabling the QoS options, etc. It’s all the same.

My experience is that a lot of services just suck and don’t provide good download speeds. Xbox has that issue for sure. Apple has as well last time I checked (download speeds on iTunes movies was horrible last time I checked).

Assuming you don’t have a game running simultaneously with your download, which can seriously cause issues (I think because the downloads need to be decompressed), it’s probably not you, it’s probably just Microsoft’s crappy download speeds not an issue on your end.