Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Glad you got it working!

The weird part is I could swear Iā€™d played it remotely before without having to do all that.

That Ubisoft+ offer is better than explained in the xbox wire post.

You also get the subscription on PC, and some kinda cloud stuff.

I didnā€™t read the fine print so I could be wrong, but it sounds like a significant improvement to the service.

Iā€™d be willing to bet that Ubisoft+ will close down in less than six months, or at the very least switch to a different business model. There are definitely some gems in their back catalogue, but it just doesnā€™t have enough variety overall.

Iā€™m worried that they will start pulling their games off Game Pass now. I guess I should dive into Immortals Fenyx Rising just in case itā€™s gone in a couple months.

Itā€™s been going for over 3 and 1/2 years on Windows. Itā€™s just never been available on Xbox before. Wikipedia says itā€™s even been available on Luna and Stadia since the end of 2020.

Itā€™s a pretty good value if youā€™re going to be using all 3 of their services.

Basically for an extra $3 a month over the PC-only version of Ubisoft+, you also get access to playing games on the cloud via Luna, as well as playing games on the Xbox.

What they needed though was an alternate tier. Maybe a $7 a month version thatā€™s Xbox only.

My Xboxes reset that flag a while back and had to be re-enabled. Was very frustrated as it gave the appearance of just not working one day.

Ah, I thought Iā€™d heard about it years ago and didnā€™t realize it was the same thing.

And God forbid that the error message point you to a couple of things you might check by including a link to a troubleshooting page! Those bytes of data arenā€™t free ya know. šŸ™„

Another remote play question: I was under the impression that the whole point of leaving the console in the sleep mode-not-entirely-off power setting was that it allowed it to be turned on remotely over the LAN. And yet it didnā€™t the last time I tried that. I had to go downstairs and turn the console on after all. Is there some specific subsetting of ā€œenable remote playā€ that Iā€™ve missed?

Ha, youā€™ve fallen victim to Microsoftā€™s evil wokery!

There are two standby modes, shutdown and sleep. Pretty much the only difference other than the massively reduced power draw in shutdown, is that sleep lets you wake it up remotely. Theyā€™ve recently switched to defaulting to shutdown, prompting gnashing of teeth from certain quarters. You can choose which you want from the power options menu.

See, thatā€™s the weird part. Iā€™d changed it to Sleep mode when I posted about another problem connecting remotely a couple of days back (which I fixed by re-enabling ā€œremote featuresā€ or whatever in the settings). Yet when I tried to connect I got ā€œWe canā€™t connect to your console now. Try a bit later.ā€ Or something to that effect.

Weirdly, the second time I tried later in the evening (and the console was ā€œoffā€, I made sure) it did come on and everything worked as advertised.

Another question for anyone, whatā€™s the best way to get a good picture on my monitorā€™s screen? Said monitor is a 1440p one, so once Iā€™m connected to the console, should I go in and change the settings there to 1440p for the display, or leave it on 4k (my TVā€™s resolution)?

Hoo, boy, I have ranted and raved to various people about the current ubiquity of the ā€œsomething went wrongā€ error message. No shit something went wrong. Why donā€™t you tell me what it was, you unhelpful sacks of garbage???

I currently have my Series X plugged into this 1440p monitor right now. The Series X automatically detected and supports 1440p and HDR10 on the monitor. No issues and looks good.

Thanks-- youā€™re talking about a direct connection between console and monitor, though, correct? I was asking about the remote play thing through the Xbox app on my PC. Not sure if the signal sent through the pipe is even 1440p or 1080p. I just know RDR: Undead Nightmare looks a bit muddy on my monitor (I found my old 360 RDR disc and had bought the DLC back when, still a blast).

Woops! Yeah, remote play is going to be lower rez, I donā€™t even know if players have any control over that.

There is a resolution setting available but yeah, I think that only applies to directly-connected devices and probably has no bearing on what I see on my PC monitorā€™s screen. Gonna see if I can resize my play window and see if that helps.

BTW that looks like a nice monitor you linked to. Still 1440p but a bit more screen real estate. No G-Sync though, right (next question, does FreeSync work with Nvidia cards)? Do you mind the ā€œcurvedā€ part? Iā€™ve always wondered how useful that is. What price is that when itā€™s available?

Yes, the sync works with both my RTX 2070 and my new 4070. The curve is great, itā€™s not as extreme as some, but it does work to keep the image within my vision. I had an ultrawide for a while, and the corners would be out of focus for me. I paid $300 for it with no regrets.

Thatā€™s a lot less than I paid for my G-Sync one (also an ASUS) back in late 2017, so Iā€™m envious (also due to the greater viewable area). Itā€™s not an IPS though, right? Does have HDR though, which mine doesnā€™t.

Is your model something thatā€™s likely to become available again or discontinued?

Itā€™s a newer technology called VA (vertical alignment, IIRC). Itā€™s considerably brighter than the ASUS ips monitor that it replaced and the colors really pop. Itā€™s more of a gaming monitor than a productivity monitor, but I have an ips monitor next to it for that stuff.

I do see other curved ASUS monitors on Amazon for around 300, it looks like the 144hz model got replaced with a 165hz model.