Xcom 2

No way am I skipping it. XCOM 2 is my game of the last few years.

I feel like any other game competing for my time but Mario+Rabbids and I’d be pre-ordering it as well (in truth I may still be pre-ordering it as funds become available, just to have it off my checklist) but that particular game looks to scratch the same tactical itch, and will be an all new experience (and something I can play on the hand held) so it’s getting priority for now.

I’m eager to hear what folks think of WotC though, as each time I read about it I get more and more excited for it. The 3 Chosen alien hero units that show up randomly (based on their territory - which I believe is randomized each game), the three new and cool sounding factions, each with new units to recruit with their own skill trees. New things to research, new enemies, it’s really blowing the lid off the game and it actually sounds like extra cut-scenes/story beats aside (which all seem to be going on at the top of the game, at lest, not peppered throughout) it will make for a more replayable game with more random stuff going on each game. Sounds pretty good to me so far!

Hey well, you can tell me about the Rabbids/Mario game, and I’ll post here and tell you about XCOM! Deal? :)

I guess I’m leaning towards getting it. Paying $30 for it is probably as good as it’s going to get for 6-12 months. I did like my 1 play through quite a bit.

Deal!

Yeah, with both War of the Chosen and Super Mario XCOM landing in late August, it’s going to be all tactical, all the time for a while.

Hahaha! What!?

Yeah, that was shown off in a stream when they unveiled the game, or right around there. In the video they created a “buddy” poster for two soldiers that had become friends, and then showed off how the poster actually popped up in the background of one of the rooms in the base.

In TB’s video, we get a look at a minor (yet welcome) addition to the Options menu and the new New Game options. He does his best to avoid spoilers, although I’ve watched only the first 13 minutes of 45. Can’t wait for its release!

Man, I am so hyped for this. XCOM 2 might be my favorite pc strategy game of all time at this point and I can’t wait to see how this adds to it. I know that more isn’t always better, but I really have a lot of faith in Jake Solomon to make smart decisions.

Oh, hey, cool. Is what I started to think until I saw it was TotalBuscuit. Fuck that guy.

Are you still on the clock in this expansion, such that you can’t take your time and you need to finish the game in a certain amount of time or the bad guys will win? I think it was called the Avatar project. I always felt rushed. Also, are the mission timers still in? I had played with a mod that relaxed them quite a bit when I first played this.

There’s now a Toggle Advanced Options View in the New Game menu at the 3:54 mark of the video. Among the eight Advanced Options, there’s Lengthy Scheme, which doubles the length of the Avatar Project, and Time Turner, which doubles the length of mission timers.

Similarly, there’s also ‘Beta Strike’ which doubles the HP of everyone in combat and increases timer duration by 50%.

Reviews are showing up all around (most of them positive), and there’s a free weekend going on Steam right now for XCOM 2.

I bought the expansion because i thought the Templars looked cool. I always liked the idea of melee in the game.

Spent wayyyyyyyy too much time last night trying to get controller support working on XCOM 2 in preparation for War of the Chosen. Google hasn’t been a lot of help, so let’s see if you folks have any ideas:

I’ve got a wired Xbox 360 controller hooked up to my PC. When I go into Options>Interface from the main menu and select Input>Controller, the frame rate bombs out to 1 or 2 FPS while a “Please Reconnect Controller” pops up on the screen. However, the controller is already plugged in.

Unplugging it and replugging it gets me back to the Interface menu and a normal frame rate with the input showing “Controller” and all of the buttons changed to Xbox controller prompts (e.g. “X Save and Close”). However, the controller doesn’t work at all, including the buttons that could get me out of the menu or change the input back to “Mouse”.

I finally figured out that the WASD (+E or R) keys will still allow me to move around and change the input back. But I really want to play with a controller, since I loved the implementation on Enemy Unknown.

I actually got the controller to work one time after removing the Long War Toolbox mod (which is a known conflict). But when I tried to load my most recent save, I was warned that it relied on several of my installed mods, including the Toolbox, and wouldn’t work without them. I had read that you could re-enable the Toolbox after setting up a controller with no problems. But when I did that, the controller stopped working again and not even disabling then removing all my mods helped from that point on.

I then futzed around in the Controller Settings menu in Big Picture mode, which I read could help, but I exhausted all the options with no change.

I even tried validating the XCOM 2 installation files, but that did not help.

Any thoughts?

If your budget permits, get a steam controller.

Unfortunately, a Steam Controller just ain’t for me.

I regularly use an Xbox controller with XCOM 2. I go back and forth between the controller and mouse + keyboard depending on my mood. I’ll have to check tonight to see if anything changes, but I haven’t seen the issues you describe.