XCOM: Chimera Squad

It supports Steam Workshop

I thought it was obvious from the trailer. Someone/thing doesn’t support the idea of human/aliens, former enemies, trying to live together in peace and is trying to cause a violent reaction to the fragile peace.

Seems like a pretty good idea, take the heart of XCOM, reuse as much as you can, tell a proper story with characters you make and not the semi RNG of previous games.
Make it cheaper and faster to make, probably try and test some stuff that would be risky to go full steam ahead on a XCom 3.

Might still crash and burn, but I don’t see why it should.

$10 is pretty low-risk and XCOM has earned a lot of goodwill from me. I’m in.

I’m almost certainly in, but I figure may as well wait until launch day, make sure it doesn’t turn out to be a totally cynical one-more-squeeze-of-this-franchise-orange, and buy it at that launch discount before May 1.

IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: If, before that, a member of the Firaxis team namechecks Shadow Watch, I will pre-order immediately.

I thought it might be renegade aliens and former Advent types.

I’m most likely getting it as well, especially at the low sale price, provided it’s not a buggy mess on launch.

At that price I’m in too. Even if it’s a buggy mess on launch, they’ll fix it eventually.

Potentially of interest, though after having been burned by both XCOM2 and WoC I’ll adopt a wait-and-see stance even at that low price point. Report back, QT3ers! :)

You didn’t like XCOM 2? What heresy is this? ;-)

But actually curious as to what you didn’t like about it. Timed missions?

Timed missions were part of it, though that could be resolved by modding or, later, choices of settings to some extent. WoC in particular was just… noisy and incoherent? Every time I tried to do something it would interrupt me with five other things I also had to do, it felt like.

I keep starting to go back to it, remembering how frustrated I got with it, and stopping myself. Maybe one of these days the former instinct will win out. I liked the first remake (especially with the expansion) quite a bit, but it felt a lot more clearly directed.

This is suspiciously cheap.

Boughten.

So, am I the only one that can’t stand the happy, cartoony, bright green, yellow, purple etc. colors and art style? Really not my thing, not in an XCOM game anyway…

The colors suck. It feels like what was done with other spinoffs, like Far Cry New Dawn and other games from that time period. But the colors don’t bother me enough to put me off the game. As long as the world isn’t some wrecked post-apocalyptic junk yard like so many other games lately I’ll be fucking thrilled. This could take place at Disneyland for all I care.

This is the last XCOM game I played.

Color-coding my troopers in bright colors made it a lot easier to manage the battle. Red for heavies. White for assault troopers. Green for scouts. Yellow for medics.

Fabulous.

PUT IT IN MY VEINS

Lol, wow!! No thanks. Although I have to admit that occasionally my daughter was in charge of the customisation, so I do have a fair share of pink and purple-haired/armoured characters as well. I draw the line at yellow though! ;-)

Anyway, that’s just customisation, not the overall look of the game like this new edition.I really think it looks horrible… I mean, come on:

afbeelding

They could at least have left some colors out??? That floor… pffff.

Exactly what I did. So much easier.