Xenonauts - the REAL successor to X-Com?

Yeah I was taking into account various damages and such. I think the point was that none had been “killed” as in total destruction by enemy fire. YMMV.

Anyway, the main reason I’ve assumed tanks don’t fit into these XCom-alike games is that they’re often about interior combat and fast reaction teams, as opposed to the pitched battles where you’d see tanks deployed.

However, if they’re already using some sort of Infantry Fighting Vehicles then that argument doesn’t hold quite so well. Either way, I’d love to see a game like this model more of the overt war if/when the alien threat reaches that point.
e.g., In the XCom remake, there were a few mission areas where you’d be fighting in some sort of military base or weapons depot, with tanks parked all over. I really wanted there to be some traditional soldiers around, and possibly even some of them using the tanks.

They can melt through main battle tanks? Let’s send a bunch of jump-suited spec ops at them! :)

FYI: In Xenonauts there are often civilians and local militia/army that “help” you. (i.e. absorb alien projectiles and occasionally spray bullets in your direction)

I’ve been playing this recently and i’m left kind of disappointed.

First of all, i played this with the community edition branch on steam and then i installed the mod X - DIVISION - Destiny Denied. This was probably a mistake.

Enemies are basically extreme bullet sponges. Everything is completely immune to frag grenades and shotguns. Even with the 2nd tier of weapons this does not change. To kill any enemy except the most fragile one requires about 6 guys to surround it and just open up on it with full auto. Higher tech sniper rifles work too. I suspect the Mod gave every alien super armor to a crazy level.

One of the things i’m sure the mod added is xenomorphs which are the alien from aliens. Except like most other aliens in the game, they are nearly immune to damage. So you have a melee alien that takes half a full squad with heavy weapons to take down that can easily run across the screen and instantly kill one of your guys.

To be fair, i think a lot of this is the mod’s fault though.

What isn’t the mod’s fault is the overwatch system which I am COMPLETELY not a fan of. There basically is no overwatch and you have a VERY small chance to fire on an enemy. What this results in is the enemy running up to your line of infantry (that would have been in overwatch in xcom) and just shooting them in the face. Then maybe they will run away again.

Doors are also a pain with enemies popping out of them on their turn to kill someone, going back in and then the door instantly shutting at the start of my turn so i can’t return fire.

Maybe i sabotaged my experience with my mod choice, but i’m surprised to say that i liked the firaxis xcom more than this, and i did play the original games.

Googling the mod:

Welcome to X-Division A full Overhaul Mod for Xenonauts. This mod is made for to add more variety, micro management and using all the aspects of the main game. This mod is hard, complex, long and challenging. As my first mod in my life, it has my +20 year of turn based combat game play experience with best of its genre like Fallout Tactics, X-Com and Jagged Alliance. I strongly recommend to play this mod after finished Xenonauts.

So yeah. Don’t use this mod.

What isn’t the mod’s fault is the overwatch system which I am COMPLETELY not a fan of. There basically is no overwatch and you have a VERY small chance to fire on an enemy.

Doors are also a pain with enemies popping out of them on their turn to kill someone, going back in and then the door instantly shutting at the start of my turn so i can’t return fire.

Leave AP at the end of the turn and you get overwatch. You can’t control it like in Jagged Alliance though. I used to use it all the time to cover doorways etc. There’s even a slider to help you reserve AP so you can always make a shot.

Overwatch is based on your reaction stat as well. Someone with low reactions wont shoot first, or sometimes at all if an enemy runs out. Don’t count on those guys to be your overwatchers much.

Xenonauts on default seemed OK to me. Aliens did not seem like bullet sponges at all. I think you should try it vanilla first before writing the game off.

Yeah I can’t fathom playing a game with some “Xtreme Hard Mode” mod first and then complaining that you don’t like how hard it is.

That mod sounds fricking terrible even if you really loved the game.

Incidentally, you probably want to be playing the Community Edition.

And there’s mods to stop automatic-closing UFO doors, btw, like most things in the game.

A lot of CE features got rolled into the stable branch of the vanilla game a few weeks (months?) ago, so it’s worth checking out the release notes to see if there’s even anything from CE you’d want.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12698-V1-5-Experimental-promoted-to-Steam-Stable!

Yeah, I wouldn’t bother with CE right now, as it hasn’t been updated in a while. Really, first time players should just stick with vanilla, it contains everything you need, and is pretty much “final” and feature complete right now as they plan to never add another feature (though they’ll do bug fixes).

Personally, I’m enjoying the heck out of this. It is original x-com to me with updated graphics and ui. I get that old feeling of dread with the night missions and when breaching the alien craft.

I do find shotgun users aren’t as accurate and overwatch is heavily dependant on the soldiers reflexes skill. Mine did miss a lot initially but even the failed ones will up their reflex stat. The aliens do seem to miss as well though.

It is rare that I can finish off an alien with one shot though. I never use frag grenades personally because I think they are worthless but I do use the heck out of smoke grenades and the stun grenades, which are probably overpowered, but those stun grenades have saved my bacon on many, many occasions. Knocked out a few of my guys and civilians with those suckers but they’re still alive so its ok right?

One thing I do wish is that when my guy dies I can’t tell if they are dead, dead or if they are revived at the mission end. I admit it, because I will reload from a saved game if too many are dead and gone.

How is mind control in the mid and late game? Are there ways to counter it? Helmets or such?

High reflex high movement dudes can actually get inside a room, shotgun someone to the face and then run back to cover without getting reaction fire. They are awesome.

I’ve only just started getting missions with mind control happening, but so far its like the original. Guy could drop weapon and run. Guy could drop weapon and stay put. Guy stays put and not drop weapon. Guy runs right into the middle of aliens. Every case so far in my game I’ve had control of the unit again next turn. I haven’t seen someone panic and open fire yet though. Aliens can also mind control and the guys are immune or they lose some action points but you are still in control of them. In the original you couldn’t tell if the soldiers were going to be susceptible until it happened, in xenonauts they show you their bravery score before you recruit them.

Xenonauts 2 officially confirmed.

http://www.xenonauts2.com/

Xenonauts 2 will not be a chronological sequel, rather it will cover similar events taking place in an alternate timeline – an alien invasion occurring in a Cold War-era Earth. This means humanity does not start with the advanced alien technology unlocked in the first game, and we also have the freedom to subtly alter the story, setting and enemies in order to make a more interesting sequel.

-Unity engine
-3D instead of 2D graphics

3D would be welcome for sure. I really enjoyed the first one, especially the air combat since it was actually tactical but yet still quick to resolve.

Did they ever fix the PSI problem? I remember PSI having no counter to it so you spend tons of time late game dropping all your weapons at the end of each turn in case your soldier was mind controlled. I was pretty shocked there was no counter to that - at least that I found.

Oh right on, good on them! I’ll have to keep my eyes on this one.

I hope they figure out proper bullet trajectories this time (cause the original game did!). I wasn’t a fan of Firaxis Xcom (should have been it’s own thing really, rather than ‘xcom’), so this one was the only other real option, and while i liked much of it, there were obvious issues that ultimately made me keep playing OpenXcom instead, so hopefully they can perfect their game design and application for this new game. I’ll be certain to pick it up unless it is an obvious stinker.

I couldn’t really get into Xenonauts, despite being incredibly hyped for it since it was first announced and being a massive fan of the original. Playing it something felt … missing, somehow, over the original XCOM title from Microprose. It was maybe too sterile, to “clean”, or something. I think it was really smart for Firaxis to reboot XCOM the way they ended up doing it, in hind sight. It does seem like these guys are aware of some of that, so I’m curious where they go with it.

I also worry that XCOM 2, as good as it sounds out of the box, will really dwarf this by the time it comes out between the official DLC (and even an expansion, by then) and a year or two of mods. Time will tell, but I’ll be keeping an eye on this one for more than just idle curiosity.