Yakuza 0 is amazing and you should play it

Working my way through the Goro Majima chapters at the moment, after completing a bunch of sub-stories with Kiryu in Kamurocho and getting to the end of his first act of the story. The opening to the start of Majima’s story sure was something, top notch Yakuza that was. Going to be a little disappointing when I eventually get back to Kiryu after playing with Majima’s Slugger style for a while, nothing like cleaning up packs of foes with a baseball bat.

Gotten that good at swinging that bat around I’ll clean up the random encounters on the open world map in about 10 seconds if they group up nicely. Basically free wads of cash for little work or health loss, haha.

Anyone playing Judgment? I really like the idea of Phoenix Wright in the Yakuza universe, but from the impressions I’ve seen so far it seems very much Yakuza with some minor detective and stealth trappings, which sounds terrible. I find the combat in Yakuza pretty tedious to be honest.

My copy should arrive today. I love the Yakuza games for the story and side activities/missions, so as long as that’s there in good form, I’ll be happy.

Considering I’m playing the series on PC, I’ll be waiting for SEGA to possibly offer up a PC port before I can give my opinion on Judgement. I’m certainly in for a great visual upgrade over Yakuza 0 and Kiwami once I get around to Kiwami 2 or any other Dragon engine games SEGA port to the PC. From what I have seen and heard though, people that enjoyed Yakuza for the story and side stories/activities should be in for a treat again.

For people interested in Judgement due to the character background but who weren’t already enamored with the series’ gameplay through Yakuza, hard for me to say. No harm in waiting for more opinions though and a sale sometime down the road if you’re still curious.

I watched a couple videos after reading some of this thread, and the fighting looked kind of silly. The bad guys seem to just stand there, waiting to get hit. Is it really like that in game?

For the grunts, definitely. Bosses and challenge fights are the only ones that really make you work the mechanics. If there weren’t so many random grunt fights it would be a lot more tolerable.

Well, I’m only a couple of hours in, and it’s still introducing detective systems, but so far there’s a lot less combat in Judgement. You still get the random lowlife fights, but they’re a lot scarcer. (And tantalizingly, a tutorial text told me that if you drag one out too long, the police will show up and throw you in jail for the night.)

Yeah, love the game, but having thugs attack me every block or two gets annoying. I usually just run if I can. The boss fights are pretty demanding, at least for me.

I just wrapped up the first chapter of Judgment, and just going by the central story and gameplay, I think I prefer it over Yakuza 0 and 6. The various mechanics are neat and add a nice variety, and there are lots of great little quality of life improvements. I think my biggest complaint might end up being the seeming lack of a more full-fledged side activity like the hostess club, real estate management, baseball, etc…

Yakuza 7 announced, with a new protagonist, a new setting (Yokohama) and a new, turn-based combat system. Consider me interested.

Turn based combat? Ok, maybe that will be the first one I can get into as well.

Wild.

Oh, also:

Looking forward to asking everybody if they know any places where sailors hang out.

Turn based combat is interesting because of the Fist of the North Star and Judgement spinoffs. I’m wondering if they’ll continue to make beat-em-up combat games, just not under than main Yakuza line.

Still kicking myself for not picking that up when it was $20 last year. I didn’t have a PS4 at the time and figured I wouldn’t be getting one anytime soon…

It’s $23 for the rest of this weekend.

Oh shit, dude, thanks for the heads up. I am certainly gonna grab it!

I thought it’s already in the PlayStation Hits lineup at $20?

…didn’t realize the discussion was for FotNS.

So I am torn between whether to play Yakuza 0 or Yakuza Kiwami first. I bought the former based on the recommendation in the Yakuza 7 thread, but then thought that because it’s a prequel, it would have more meaning if I played Kiwami first. It seems that for story reasons playing Kiwami first makes more sense, but the gameplay of Kiwami apparently builds off of 0. Of course, everyone says that 0 is amazing and I should play it and that Kiwami is weaker by comparison. On the other hand, Kiwami is apparently shorter.

I own both, and plan on playing both. I’ve played a few hours of each, and they are fun enough that I’d like to see where this goes. So it’s really a matter of which to play first.

So, what do the experts think?

Yakuza 0. Hands down, no question, it’s amazing and you should play it. Go play it. Are you playing it?

Kiwami is just fine. Maybe play it later? Or don’t and just read a plot summary after you finish 0 and then skip ahead to Kiwami 2.