Yakuza 0 is amazing and you should play it

You can save at any phone booth.

Hell yeah. I kind of stalled out on Kiwami but I really should get back to it because I’ve heard nothing but good things about Kiwami 2. The first one is unfortunately kind of a slog, especially coming off of 0.

I actually prefer Kiwami 1 to 2. I like it when all the goofy shit is contrasted by Kiryu going:

and the stakes in Yakuza 2 are so much less personal. Plus, the dragon engine fighting feels so loosey goosey to me, compared to Yakuza 0/Kiwami 1.

But Kiwami 2 does have the host club game again, and that counts for a lot.

I just played for the first time and saved at the earliest opportunity, which was after 50 minutes, after exiting the Ramen shop following the night out with the other guy.

I am really enjoying Kiwami. I’m still in chapter 4 ( just met the little girl). This time I am prioritizing substories before the main plot. Still disliking mini games. On the other hand, I LOVE Majima Everywhere!

Thanks - I’ll keep it in mind when I restart. I don’t think I had actually played enough for the game to tell me that I could save at phone booths.

If you are on PC, there’s an ini file you can edit to allow save anywhere, I believe. I’m going to look into that before starting it up again.

If I don’t have a controller, should I just give up on this until I do (which may be never?) The game feels pretty janky with keyboard/mouse.

I’ve only ever fought in yakuza with controller.

I’m hoping someone here has some magic advice to make it work with mouse/keyboard, because I can see there’s a great game there. I just can’t seem to play it. [Yes, in some ways I’m a grumpy old man who went from an apple 2+ to a PC with a 1080Ti without ever holding a console controller for any length of time, so this is definitely me being inflexible.]

The last time i used a controller on a PC, I was playing Loderunner on a 4.77mhz.

I finally wrapped up Yakuza 0 with all the substories completed after dozens of hours. It was my very first game in the series, but will hold off on trying the Kiwami remakes out of fear of getting fatigued (though the Dragon engine for II looks really hot). 0 boasts one of the most magnificent digital worlds ever created. Excellent cutscene direction, extremely memorable characters, and a badass story round out this great 80s adventure. I loved beating up drunken salary men, gangsters, and especially the nouveau riche with their gaudy gold suits. The little details, like the carefully considered sound design when strolling past shops and the near-endless bespoke animations for heat attacks, really sell this as a labour of love from a development studio at the height of their powers. It’s also one of the few games that really sticks the landing, with an ending that feels completely earned. The RNG mini-games and the mechanics tied to them are the only blight on this mammoth game, but wouldn’t make me hesitate recommending it as an essential experience.

I regret to inform you that you’re going to want a controller, ej. This game is full of punks who need a head bashing and you gotta bring the proper tools for the job.

High five, @MrTibbs

It really won’t hurt you to get a controller for this and other games. Controllers are frankly even more old man gamer friendly than keyboards and mice. You can relax and stopping sitting straight up in your chair.

It’s really glorious.

OK, what’s the best controller for a middle aged man (who never used controllers) who wants to play some Yakuza and dead cells?

I’d grab an Xbox One controller. If you’ve got the money go for the elite, it’s the best controller I’ve ever owned. But the wireless XB1 controller is easy to set up, has a pretty comfortable grip and it’s kind of the standard for PC controller gaming.

If your PC doesn’t have bluetooth you’ll want a dongle as well.

Also great choice on Dead Cells.

It is really helpful to have the USB adapter for the Xbox controller. It presents as a native device, which allows wireless firmware updates.

I was looking at this, and it appears to be bluetooth. That doesn’t cut it, so i need a wireless adapter?

It will do Bluetooth or use the proprietary Microsoft protocol. The Bluetooth is OK - I find the range better on the proprietary adapter though. And, as I mentioned, I don’t have to plug it in for the (very occasional) firmware updates.