Yakuza 7 - We're turn-based RPG brawling now!

I really like this game, but like some reviewers I can’t help but feel the combat is a somewhat missed opportunity. Positioning matters, but not only do you have no control over it, it changes constantly while you’re deciding what to do and is consequently extremely hard to take advantage of. I really wish they’d gone full SRPG, or even something like 13 Sentinels where everything pauses on your action, it would be so much more enjoyable.

The old yakuzas (2,3,4) are on sale at PS4 store, about $12-$14 each. Until Jan 20.

Worth noting these are all coming to Game Pass.

Yes, but at the price of Gamepass by the time you beat them you’ll probably have paid more.

Unless you already pay for Game Pass every month. Then your incremental cost of waiting is $0.00 innit?

But then you can’t play anything else that month!

I used to think that way when I got Game Pass a month at a time too. “Oh, this month is Game Pass month, all other non-Game Pass games are on hold so I can get the maximum value from my month of Game Pass”.

But once they let me convert my Gold time to Game Pass time, and every month is Game Pass month, I still play mostly Game Pass games (because there’s a lot of great games there), but I play a lot of non-Game Pass games too. Once you take away the ticking clock, it’s just several more options in your library of games.

Yeah, just the Yakuza games take a long time to finish, and if you take more than a month you’ve “paid” more than $10, but I’m not actually being serious with my objection.

I’m finishing Yakuza 1 now, my savegame is from 2018

That giant Roomba is really kicking my ass. I ended up having to backtrack my way through the dungeon to escape. Guess I’ll need to try him again once I level up a bit.

it’s a really tough fight, yeah, it’s not vulnerable to anything really. Maybe electricity is ok

Luckily, I’m only tempted by Yakuza: Like a Dragon, since I can’t stand the brawler gameplay of the others. I almost pulled the trigger on it throughout the month that it was on sale on Xbox.

I think Yakuza 0 took me something like 120 hours. Judgment was probably my shortest experience with the series at a trim 58 hours. Would’ve spent more time with it but neither the drone racing nor the VR game really did much for me.

Yakuza 5 has an idol section so I’m looking forward to it (at this rate I’ll get to it in 2025)

The Yakuza Collection’s out on Steam with a sizeable 33% discount if you pick them up all at once. :)

Where is 6, though?

It’s coming in March.

Just started this and I’m early in Chapter 3. I’m not sure how I feel about the new combat system - one of the things I loved about the other Yakuza games (played 0 and Kiwami 1 & 2) was the over the top violence with the special moves and heat actions. Hopefully something like that will open up. On the other hand, I do love Ichiban. He brings a levity and humanity that Kiryu didn’t always have.

Game started good, but gameplay gets pretty shallow the longer you play.