Yet another "Help me find this book" thread...Vintage Children's Storybook edition.

Ok, so I am trying to find/remember a book from my childhood. It would have been published somewhere between 1960-1975. It was a children’s storybook/picturebook. About the shape and size of a Little Golden Book, but searching on the various websites dedicated to Little Golden Books has come up empty. When I say “pictures” throughout, know that I am not talking about photographs, just to be clear, but illustrations.

The book was about space travel, and was a “realistic” look at it. I think it had an astronaut on the cover, but I could be mis-remembering. I recall that there were “scenes” in the book about how/what an astronaut eats, and specifically there was a picture of an astronaut eating a cracker. I am 99% certain that the space capsules shown in the book were “Apollo” vintage, and not Gemini, and certainly far earlier than the Space Shuttle.

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Well, after some really deep-diving digging I’ve found it:

A Trip in Space by Bruce Grant and published by Rand McNally as part of their “Start Right Elf Books” series.

Tony

I was super into a book called Three Horn the Dinosaur when I was a kid. It came with a record that you played while you read it, it was awesome.

That rainbow is in space.

I guess it’s possible. Not in our solar system, but somewhere with a dense molecular cloud and a star capable of producing a spectrum of those colors. Educationally sound indeed.

Either that or they’re nose-diving into the surface of Earth.

I know it’s not the book, but just wondered if you’d ever seen “The Runaway Robot” by Lester del Rey. It got me hooked on SF when I was 9. Love those classic children’s books!

I think that is the horizon at sunset/sunrise of some planet.

I also noticed that all three astronauts are male/white.

Obviously inspired by Apollo crews.

cbb7d5e3331678165dce6df6bd7eae94