Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle o' Egg Nog

I made my annual batch, based on this recipe for our Christmas party this weekend. In the past, I’ve made the cooked version, although I couldn’t be bothered this year. I can never find pasteurized eggs in the store (although I’m told they exist), but my parents can get locally sourced eggs (i.e. from their neighbors), so I use those for all raw egg applications.

If you’re handy with a mixer, it really does only take about 15 mins start to finish. Since that recipe basically makes a meringue and then mixes it in, it’s really a 2-part drink: a lot of froth, and the liquid beneath. You can work to integrate them, but there’s only so much you can do. It’s best enjoyed like a head-y beer, where each sip has a bit of froth and liquid both.

I realized that I didn’t really have any bourbon, so I used my mixing rum (Mount Gay Eclipse), which I substitute for bourbon in mixed drinks whenever I need to. It has just enough complexity, albeit a touch more sweetness than most bourbons. I gave away most of my rum when we moved this summer, and haven’t re-stocked yet, so I didn’t have anything spiced left. I’m actually not a big fan of the spiced rums in general, I feel that they overwhelm most other flavors. For store bought nog that’s generally fine, but I want to taste the sweet egginess and nutmeg in the home-made stuff.

No more than you would wash coffee beans.

I have some Mount Gay around, but Kraken Black Spiced Rum remains my favorite (but I gotta drink up the Captain Morgan’s first before I switch back to the Kraken). But these things are always a matter of taste and preference - the Nog is more important than the rum, in any case.

Ugh. That does look terrible.

Egg Nog is one of those foods that is so bad for you, it doesn’t make sense to drink any but the best.

I rather enjoy Hood’s pumpkin-flavored eggnog.

Finished off a bottle of Eligah Craig 12 year in some Sunnyside Eggnog this weekend. Sunnyside is a good, not necessarily great. For the really good stuff, I usually try to grab at least one bottle from the Strauss Family Creamery. Really really good stuff.

Like drinking a pumpkin pie. Delicious.

I agree, as is the Caramel. But Turkey Hill is still my favorite of the locally available nogs.

Comes in number five on the Huffington Post list.

I will go to Trader Joe’s and get their Nog (#2 on the list). As I recall, it loses to Broguiere’s in my own taste test, but I haven’t had it in a while.

That soy and low-fat eggnogs taste bad shouldn’t surprise anyone. I’m a bit put off that the comments mostly seem to be about eggnog primarily as a carrier for alcohol. A good eggnog is more than that.

Neat list, I might have to check out trader joes. Though if someone thinks that Turkey Hill is watery, then the egg nog they usually drink must be like cake batter. While I did enjoy some Nog and rum over Thanksgiving, I almost always just drink it on its own. I’ve been enjoying a nice glass with a dash of nutmeg every night when I get home from work.

Cool. The banana-y flavor is probably my least favorite thing about store-bough nog, so that list does highlight a couple that might be worth trying.

The title of the thread implies an excuse to drink alcohol (the Yo ho ho part - my African Grey does the whole thing: Fifteen men on a dead man’s chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum). However, if you go back and see my earliest comments on Broguieres I note it entirely doesn’t need any alcohol - it is a delight in itself. People are free to emphasize either side of the equation be it what you like to spike your egg nog with, or the egg nog itself. Heck, many people have gone with the nutmeg aspect.

I wasn’t thinking about this thread so much as that Huffington Post list of eggnogs. “Thick, almost pudding-like and the perfect vessel for adding alcohol.” “Bland, but would be great with some alcohol.” “Thick and very nutmeg-y. It could stand up to a lot of liquor.”

I know the review notes aren’t exclusively about eggnog as a carrier, but if they’re going to review eggnogs, I want to read about the eggnog.

Ah, I see. Again, it’s a traditional thing to do, so adding notes on that doesn’t upset me. Though, if it is wimpy, it needs to be juiced up to cover for that, and if it is rich and powerful well hell it, can stand up to more alcohol! Seem to work out the same either way. :-)

Honestly, I only occasionally add something to my nog.

Along with some real egg nog, I also bought some “rice nog”

I’d be generous if I said it tasted like soggy oatmeal. I bought it because I’m lactose intolerant. But, I’m glad to read from that list that the lactaid stuff might not be terrible.

All the egg nogs I can find around here are shit. Anyone have a good recipe? I love the stuff but they stopped carrying my favored brand years ago.

Edit: Or can someone confirm that the recipe above in CLW’s post is good?

Edit 2: Also, can someone confirm or deny the suggestion I saw somewhere else that pasteurized Egg Beaters egg whites are a good substitute when you can’t find pasteurized whole eggs?

I can! It’s great! :)

I’ve used pasteurized egg whites for drink purposes. They’re fine. I’ve never tried to use pre-packaged / pasteurized yolks though (not sure if such a product exists?). There’s more chemistry going on in the yolk than the white (a meringue is basically just a protein-foam), so I’d be hesitant to try it, but you can also just cook the yolk-mixture.

I can vouch for it as well, having made it (the raw version) this weekend. I used a less cream than the recipe calls for, and so it was a bit less thick than you would normally expect, but it still came out well. It would probably have been better with more cream. Oh, and I added vanilla extract. Not sure why it’s not in Alton Brown’s recipe. It’s definitely necessary for egg nog.

Depending on the liquor you use, it can impart enough of a vanilla note that it may not be necessary.

I have a Zacapa 23 that’s borderline too sweet to drink neat (although I do) and too expensive to mix with, but is amazing in desserts.

Thanks guys! I know what I’ll be up to on xmas vacation week.