You are officially addicted to video games

At the end of the day, that really just opens the door for health services to assign the ICD-11 code for Gaming Disorder which could then allow insurance companies to pay for treatment.

Besides, lots of orgs are still implementing ICD-10 coding, so my guess is that it will be years before this is used practically.

It also opens more door for studying and grants and maybe allowing the schools to participate. All of which I am fine with. Just because we recognize a addiction does not mean we’re going to ban it or limit it heavily.

Let’s also not forget that there are tons of crazy ICD-10 codes, including:

R14.3 Flatulence causing injury

G4482 Or a headache associated with sexual activity

V97.33XD Sucked into jet engine, subsequent encounter

V91.07XA Burn due to water-skis on fire, initial encounter

W61.62XD Struck by duck, subsequent encounter

W22.02XD Walked into lamppost, subsequent encounter

V0490XA Hit by a Mack Truck

Z631 Problems in relationship with in-laws

V00.15 Heelys accident roller shoes

W22.01XA Walked into wall, initial encounter

R46.1 Bizarre personal appearance

Z621 Parental overprotection

V95.41XA Spacecraft crash injuring occupant, initial encounter

W56.22xA Struck by orca, initial encounter

V96.00XS Unspecified balloon accident injuring occupant, sequela

T63.442S Toxic effect of venom of bees, intentional self-harm, sequela

X52 Prolonged stay in weightless environment

Z73.1 Type A behavior pattern

W49.01XA Hair causing external constriction, initial encounter

Z62.891 Sibling Rivalry

Y93.E4 Activity, ironing

S30.867A Insect bite (nonvenomous) of anus, initial encounter

W27.4XXD Contact with kitchen utensil, subsequent encounter

W50.2 Accidental twist by another person

T505x6A Under-dosing of appetite depressants, initial encounter

W60.XXXS Contact with Sharp Leaves

R46.0 Very low level of personal hygiene

Y92.146 Swimming-pool of prison as the place of occurrence of the external cause

S10.87XA Other superficial bite of other specified part of neck, initial encounter

W55.41XA Bitten by pig, initial encounter

Y34 Unspecified event, undetermined intent

Y93.D Activities involved arts and handcrafts

V00.01XD Pedestrian on foot injured in collision with roller-skater, subsequent encounter

W61.12XA Struck by macaw, initial encounter

W.56.52 Struck by other fish

W59.21 Bitten by turtle

W58.11 Bitten by crocodile

Y93.D1 Knitting and crocheting

Y92.146 Swimming-pool of prison as the place of occurrence of the external cause

Y92.250 Art gallery as the place of occurrence of the external cause

V80.2 Occupant of animal-drawn vehicle injured in collision with pedestrian or animal

Y92.253 Opera house as the place of occurrence of the external cause

V61.6XXD Passenger in heavy transport vehicle injured in collision with pedal cycle in traffic

Z73.4 Inadequate social skills, not elsewhere classified

V61.6xxD Passenger in heavy transport vehicle injured in collision with pedal cycle in traffic

W5611XD Bitten by sea lion

Z89.419 Acquired absence of unspecified great toe

V9135XA Hit or struck by falling object due to accident to canoe or kayak

Y92241 Hurt at the library

Y92146 Hurt at swimming pool of prison as the place of occurrence

W55.21XA Bitten by a cow, initial encounter

Y92.024 Injured in the driveway of a mobile home

Y92.72 Injured in a chicken coop

W5609XA Other contact with dolphin, initial encounter

W51.XXXA Accidental striking against or bumped into by another person, initial encounter

V0001XD Pedestrian on foot injured in collision with roller-skater, subsequent encounter

V94810 Civilian watercraft involved in water transport accident with military watercraft

W56.09XA Struck by sea lion

W2202XA Hurt walking into a lamppost

W6133XA Being pecked by chicken

R46.1 Bizarre personal appearance initial encounter

V91.34 Hit or struck by falling object due to accident to sailboat

W04 Fall while being carried or supported by other persons

Y92.142 Bathroom in prison as place

W55.52 Struck by raccoon

Y92.022 Bathroom in mobile home as place

Z65.2 Problems related to release from prison

W5803XA Crushed by alligator, initial encounter

W54.1XXS Struck by dog, sequela

S1087XA Other superficial bite of other specified part of neck, initial encounter.

Y92.010 Kitchen of single-family (private) house as place

V95.44XA Spacecraft fire injuring occupant, initial encounter

95.42 Forced landing of spacecraft injuring occupant

W21.11XA Struck by baseball bat, initial encounter

A281 Or cat scratch disease

W16.222D Fall in (into) bucket of water causing other injury, subsequent encounter

Y92.131 Mess hall on military base as the place of occurrence of the external cause

Y92.834 Zoological garden (Zoo) as the place of occurrence of the external cause

Y92.311 Squash court as the place of occurrence of the external cause

W61.02 Struck by parrot

I’m seriously laughing out loud. Gotta tell the wife.

Unfortunately, that is not the description of R14.3, which is simply “Flatulence.” V0490XA is also not “Hit by a Mack truck.” Like most stuff on the internet, what you see is actually not what you get. Some guy apparently wanted to write a viral LinkedIn article, I guess.

W59.2 Contact with turtles
W59.21 Bitten by turtle
W59.21XA …… initial encounter
W59.21XD …… subsequent encounter
W59.21XS …… sequela
W59.22 Struck by turtle
W59.22XA …… initial encounter
W59.22XD …… subsequent encounter
W59.22XS …… sequela
W59.29 Other contact with turtle
W59.29XA …… initial encounter
W59.29XD …… subsequent encounter
W59.29XS …… sequela

Here’s one you definitely don’t want to have too.

V97.33 Sucked into jet engine
V97.33XA …… initial encounter
V97.33XD …… subsequent encounter
V97.33XS …… sequela

And to be certain to make fun of any friend that does this.

W22.02 Walked into lamppost
W22.02XA …… initial encounter
W22.02XD …… subsequent encounter
W22.02XS …… sequela

Not certain why it is odd to have those. Also, why someone writing this kind of article would find it necessary to misrepresent some codes and not others. And I’m not going to look up every code in some random article. But the idea that there is a “flatulence causing injury” code R14.3 is false. And that the list as posted has in part been altered or falsified.

ICD-10 was developed in the (probably misguided) attempt to differentiate between pretty much every possible diagnosis seen clinically in order not so much serve clinicians as to provide a huge epidemiological database for public health data mining purposes. It’s not worth it (to me) to get into a long discussion as to the value of this, but if that is the purpose, you can see why instead of “finger injury” someone would want a specific designator of the etiology. I am sure there are ED visits for turtle bites, which may need to be followed up, hence initial encounter and subsequent encounter (since for absolutely every visit, the reimbursement for initial vs subsequent visits is different.

My point, which is only reinforced here, is that if you take stuff like this on faith, you will often end up propagating wrong information.

But if it makes you feel better today to chuckle about a flatulence code, have at it.

Something that I thing needs to be discussed is how addiction is handled. Unfortunately, the popularized image of AA, people think that addiction can only be handled by having the addict cut themselves off completely from the item of their addiction, but recent research shows that for many, there are technics and therapy that can be used to lessen the impact or the trap of addiction, but allows the person to still enjoy the task or item that original caused the addiction.
Now, it all depends on the person and the addiction, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a person could be made aware of their addiction to gaming, but with a bit of training and therapy, could learn to enjoy gaming again without the fear of becoming an addict.

tldr - addiction isn’t always an all or nothing deal. Some addicts can learn to enjoy with moderation.

I know for a fact these codes are real. It’s not false information. I just put the entire turtle line on there because turtles are obviously not seen, by the general public, as that dangerous although I suspect being struck by a turtle is a little less common.

Some of this stuff just seems oddly specific, like do we have every animal on the planet in the list:? Kiwi isn’t listed for example.

You don’t have to tell me about ICD10. I was part of the team that had to test during transition.

It’s possible to look the codes up ourselves.

http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2016/en#/V01-V09

This is very US centric, some public health services around the world will immediately (or next year the latest) adopt the classification for covered illnesses and conditions. WHO guidelines are hugely influential and even built into laws in some places.

Due to the “uniqueness” of the US system, it is probably the place where WHO is the least influential.

Apologies for posting fake news! (At least it was funny fake news…)

I think Dr. Geryk MD was specifically talking about that one code which he believes to be incorrect. I know appeals to authority are generally tiresome in discussions, but you know, medical doctor. I think his views have some weight.

It’s like half true i think.

Gotcha, Doc. OTOH you have not experienced the wife’s flatulence. :D

Whom does the flatulence injure? The flatulator or the flatulated?

Are we talking primary cause, or secondary? Because certain times the excess of air can lead to the air becoming encumbered with high velocity projectiles.

Clearly, the WHO needs to investigate this further.

Well all right, but I don’t think Roger Daltrey is going to have all that much to say on the subject.