You bought horse armor. You bought loot crates. You'll buy in-game NFTs.

Well that explains it all! :)

USD and MaterialX between them solve a fair few of these problems. This is going to be important if any kind of metaverse-like substance actually occurs.

It’s not very helpful to NFTs, because NFTs are a scam

Can you explain how? Do game engines actively support those formats at runtime (i.e. without baking)? My understanding is that from a 3d modeling/texturing point of view the answer to that is no.

I love Julie Nolke. Her goofy physical comedy reminds me of Julie Greer.

Yeah, she’s great. Turning things like the pandemic and NFTs into cool entertainment (that does not depend on schadenfreude, that is) is certainly a skill. ;)

I assume we are all supporters of Safe Funging here.

I think all you NFT haters suck and will state that I, for one, look forward to the glorious future of taking my BFG 9000 NFT into Football Manager, The Settlers, The Sims, Old World, Slay the Spire, Animal Crossing, Wordle and so on.

No doubt the peasantry will only be able to afford NFTs for Klobbs or something, but that’s too bad.

It’s not what the game engine actually reads, no, but even today I think it can be imported in a basically fully automated way, without appearance changes, scale changes, and all those other data portability issues. Because that’s kind of the whole point.

A lot of metaverse talk is meaningless marketing nonsense, but USD as the future of digital objects (as long as you only need to visualize them) seems pretty legit from where I am sitting.

A righteous rant by a game dev about NFTs and play-to-earn in games - how it affects the industry and who is pushing it. Key phrase: “[If you’re a game dev you’ve probably had] so many people explain this and it just doesn’t make sense. That’s because it doesn’t make sense.” (If you’re short on time, you can skip to 24:48 for the summary.)

(Oh, and we should probably have a link to the 2-hour long Folding Ideas video about NFTs and crypto in this thread as well as the other ones. Impressive, it already has 1.4 million views just after 3 days.)

Yup. Absolutely great video - really a full documentary at 2hrs, but it’s worth it.

Yeah, good video. I agree that the idea of blockchain gaming will be mostly gone in a couple years. The hype cycle feels a lot like VR circa 2013/2014 when it felt like it was going to become the imminent future of gaming, and tons of companies were pouring millions and even billions into it. But in the case of VR at least there was a real thing there that worked.

I feel like blockchain gaming is being pushed by tech and investor types who have no idea how gaming actually works and when you explain it to them they just handwave it away and say something like “we’ll figure that part out later!” But that part is the part that makes the whole thing not work at all.

Now this is very different than collectible NFTs, which I think are dumb and don’t really understand why anyone would want them, but are mostly harmless, IMO (except to the environment of course).

I mean, he is right about blockchain gaming, it is literally silicon valley inventing another thing that already existed. Chinese Gold Farming in MMO’s.

When you are earning, it ceases to be a game, and becomes a job. The optimizations are all about maximizing earning, and not enjoyment of the game.

Sounds absolutely awful.

A fantastic developer response to the NFT/Blockchain gaming, “bullshit.”

Same as linked by HumanTon a few posts above? ^^

He certainly tackles one of the main issues, i.e. people who are all in on pay-to-earn kinda acting as if the money players could get magically comes out of the nowhere.

Good video. But now all I wanna do is find out how to get Smooth Love Potions!

If you can’t make at least 15 SLP/hr you will be fired.

Fun game.

Oops!!! My bad, @HumanTon. Strangely, discord didn’t warn me but probably because I linked off reddit.

LOLOL

Its really a good video that tackled the topic from a lot of angles.