You guys ruined Bloodlines for me!

Yeah, actually the temple was just plain bugged. The spawn rate was set far too high, and it wasn’t even really difficult. The sheer irritation of having to kill two or three monks every five steps made it difficult to finish the section of the game, and was far worse than anything the sewer had when looking at the game overall.

The Flood Library levels in Halo 1 were pretty god awful though, but only marginally less awful. People seem to think that Halo is Jesus Christ or something…

Poor guy…he posts to say that everyone drove him from the game with the talk of the sewers, only to finally go back to it and find them not that bad. Now everyone is saying, “No, wait! The sewers weren’t nearly as bad as the Chinese place!” He’ll never finish the game now. How can you live with that guilt? :)

To be fair the Chinese temple I think is optional…

Was this with or without the patches, Robert? Post-patches, it’s no problem, just silly. Pre-patches, it was hell for me.

So you say they didn’t, then give two prime examples of where they did? Not to say I’m arguing with the brilliance of the mansion, but your point here doesn’t really go anywhere.

As for the ending of KotOR, I thought it was typical for the game, they just lost a sense of perspective that ruined any hope of believability.

I don’t follow. What do you mean by this?

Basically, I thought KotOR was nothing more than a dungeon crawler. Sure, they changed the art work away from traditional gloomy fare, but why does every single important plot advancing quest require you to go through several regions of lower level hostiles complete with chests or even jars to give you loot? This design mentality hit its zenith on Dantoine when you had to break into a farmer’s house, only to find it divided into hallways guarded by war driods complete with rooms where you might find some loot.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I’m like sneaking around wondering if I open the wrong door I’ll be fucked. Naw, you can straight up clear that place out. It also isn’t remotely laid out like some well-to-do farmhouse. Half of it is the “Security” wing.

The ending where you find yourself up against wave after wave of dark Jedis is just silly. It didn’t help any that I can’t stand “Real Time w/ Pause” combat, though having multiple players makes it much more palpatible then NWN. Oh, and the first time I played I created a scoundrel/consular and concentrated on healing and debilitating force powers. I always had a soldier with me to do the heavy fighting. Loosing my party members made the game impossible for my character to finish. Got through Bastilla by the skin of my teeth with life support packs, just couldn’t beat Malak.

:( I played Soldier but held off on leveling at level 5 then threw all the XP into Jedi levels. If you do that you’ll be groovy.

Here’s a full review I wrote of the game, if anyone is interested: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/player_review.html?id=214451 .

Yeah, I’m sure you hated it.

Now, was the Star Forge level worse then the Golden Temple? I don’t think so. The respawning enemies was the biggest fun killer in the game, as was the annoying puzzles and lack of any roleplaying options (not that KotOR had them).

Dude. You sort of had to becoem a Jedi or the story makes no sense. Pretty sure you knew that going in, yeah?

On the otherhand, I thought Ming Xaio was the best boss fight in the game. That, and the Bloodlines ending was shared between two locations, and the Prince’s Tower did not suffer from respawning enemies. Finally, the actual game endings (what you see after all player input is finished), were worlds apart. In KotOR, they just stated in obvious conclusion based on your actions that does nothing to tie up the loose ends (you think they would have learned better from NWN). Bloodlines has four unique endings that can make the player pay dearly for making the wrong alliance (perhaps the greatest penalty though is never finding out what is in the coffin). And they were all different. The ones with Jack looking down on the city with his “friend” are especially amusing. So ultimately, I was more satisfied with Bloodlines ending. I mean, for all the enemies you had to kill in the star forge, they might as well be respawning (no not really, vrai respawning is really, really bad).

Yeah but…you’re a Troika fanboy. None of this is much of a surprise (your opinion).

The fleshcrafter’s house was okay as a setpiece, but gameplay there was limited to combat.

The Malkavian’s mansion annoyed me on several levels, being not only combat-centric but also a screaming monument to the ugly tradition of the goofy Malkavian – which was somewhat at odds with the recordings scattered through the place. I went through the mansion gritting my teeth and promising myself that my conversation with the primogen, when I finally met him, would be awesome. Guess how that turned out.

Except against supernatural opponents, of which 80% of the things you face in the game happen to be.

But yeah, it worked just fine in The Room of Infinite Spawns.

It doesn’t work so well against strong vampires, but it’s fine against the sewer beasties, Sabbat cannon fodder, “civilians”, vampire hunters (Society of Leopold was ridiculously easy with Dementation) etc. I think if you reversed your 80% to say it doesn’t work so well against 20% of your combat opponents, you’d have a more accurate figure.

Palpatine-compatible?

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. But I won’t listen this time. I don’t mind combat, even in Bloodlines. It’s not awful, IMO. I’m playing with patches, so that might be affecting my xp. Bottom line is that this game oozes style. They really captured the setting almost perfectly. I wish more games would take this path. In fact, I’m thinking about replaying Arcanum just because of this game. Because I never finished Arcanum…I think I stopped halfway or so…maybe. I actually wrote one of the books in that game, and I never found it :(.

I can see this thread entering into a quick downward spiral until it becomes paulbearerarble.

Yep, one of my more interesting typos, but when you’re doing 80 words a minute, they hapless.

It isn’t if you pissed that faction off prior, which I managed to do. The option was never available. Anyways siding with them gives you one of the two unfavorable endings. (non-jack)

Dang, frog, way to spoiler the OP.

I suppose my original accusation wasn’t good enough, so people are trying to further ruin the game for me by revealing parts that I clearly haven’t seen yet (as I said in the OP). I think I averted my eyes for most of them, but I can’t read my own thread anymore. Thanks!

Sharp: Did you install the new 3.2 community patch?

Right, but - remember that whole thing about the limited blood supply in the sewers? I ate every goddamn rat in the place and still didn’t have enough blood to continually spam my best blood powers at the opponent. And I admit, at this time I had totally created a non-combat character because, foolish me, I was imagining it was like Fallout and I could continue to pursue non-violent options for the remainder of the game. Which, as we all know, is impossible.

I would have thought that using the Half-Life 2 engine might have been a hint that it would have some strong combat elements. :)

Also, I never played Fallout 1 but Fallout 2 certainly would be nearly impossible if you play a non-combat character. Just getting from point A to B before you get the car would be murder. Literally.

Feh. Nothing is spoiled from my post. If anything, it helps you not ruin the game for yourself.

Except that we were told combat wouldn’t be mandatory.

We like to give you the possibility of playing the game however you see fit. If you want to play as a talker or thief or as a skulking character you can, or the opposite of that of course.

Hence my eternal rage at this title. Because someone, somewhere, said “needs more cowbell” and combat became mandatory.