You will save the world -- and what a world! -- in Fallout 4, whether you like it or not

Rough!

I googled it, and I still don't know what it is. Conquest of Elysium 4?

That's Tom Chick and Qt3 in a nutshell. If you disagree with anything they say you're instantly labeled an "idiot" for not falling in line like the rest of the drones who post here.

Yeah I'm pretty sure wisdomchild was joking.

Show us on the doll where the Tom Chick review touched you.

What do you think about the idea that MGSV5 is a fully realized Far Cry 2? The more I think about it, it's all the things I liked about FC2 and none of the weaknesses.

The criticisms (and current game backlog) have kept me from purchasing the game. Fallout 3 was less than a 6 or 7 Fallout game, so FO4 certainly sounds better. It was the bad dialog and the bland gameworld that did me in for FO3. New Vegas was vastly superior. As for the latest Fallout: with enough mods, patches, more mods, lower price, I'll probably jump in some time next year.

Uh... you DO realize the fast travel system is %100 optional?

Play the game before making asinine comments.

Uh, I am definitely playing it. It's a shooter, not an RPG. Diamond City is the one adventure-gamey section of the game, but it's far from an RPG.

I find it funny that you think I haven't played the game when you such baseless assumptions like the game being designed to NEED fast travel. As I said, the overland map is tiny, pathetically saw, you can get from anywhere to anywhere by walking in 5-10 minutes. If you'd have the willpower to not use an option as opposed to asking for it to not be there in the first place.

Unless, of course, you've never played any of the other Bethesda games in which case I can understand your confusion, because yeah, the objectives are all over the place, like they've been IN EVERY OPEN WORLD ELDER SCROLLS GAME AND IN FALLOUT 3, including in Morrowind where there was no fast travel, no map markers, no quest markers and vague confusing direction on how to get to your objective. So all of a sudden there's a problem? What in Bethesda's history would suggest they would change the way they've been building their shallow games, when they've done it in every game before? And it's worked for them? Daggerfall had quests sending you all the way to the other side of the continent, not half way across a town, county or small island, A CONTINENT.

Also, why would you not get Charisma to 6, or even max it? It's the only role play option you have, the only thing that gives you some control on how your character lives in this world that's not the on rail, scripted Savior of The Wasteland routine Bethesda shoved down our throat. But sure, the same way you won't invest in Charisma, you can not use Fast Travel, or even bother with the settlement.

If Tom Chick, all of a sudden, had a problem with the way Bethesda did their map design, he should have complained about the map design, which is seriously lacking, not make a big rant about Fast Travel as if THAT was the problem of the game as opposed to the fact that everyone has given Bethesda a pass on every other game that did exactly what F4 did.

"And then Bethesda subverts it all with fast travel"
"you’ll just fast travel with no regard for the intervening terrain"
"Fast travel has no place in the world of State of Decay" (it had cars, everywhere, with unlimited fuel, and they were the best zombie killers around, nice selective memory)
"they could have made fast travel a part of gameplay"
"You never used it because you were fast traveling everywhere anyway"

1) You are not forced to Fast Travel, at all, anywhere.
2) You cannot Fast Travel anywhere you haven't been before.
3) You don't need to bother, at all, with settlements.
4) You can walk to any settlement under attack and get there with plenty of time to spare, in fact it takes several in-game days to fail a settlement mission.
5) It doesn't matter if you don't get there in time, or don't bother, you'll just lose some happiness and maybe have to repair a few turrets, if you have them. (The settlers are essential and cannot die)
6) Bethesda isn't the only one who has had Fast Travel in their games. And in every game that hasn't had Fast Travel a lot of people have wished for an option to skip the repetitive. (Dark Souls 2 vs Dark Souls 1)
7) Some of the most downloaded mods for F3 and NV were mods that added extra Fast Travel points, because after the 10th, 20th time you have to go back to your base, it gets boring.
8) It is your fault, and your fault alone if you lack the willpower to explore once you've unlocked Fast Travel to some places, DESPITE the fact that the game constantly sends you across the map so you can stumble across new and interesting places.

That's a BIG question, but the way I got into modding New Vegas was by starting with Josh Sawyer's personal mod and then adding a weather mod and a couple of quality of life interface improvements. Those few steps will make a world of difference. From there, I got a little ambitious with nighttime and electric lighting along the roads. But at a certain point, if you're not careful, you end up playing mods instead of the actual game!

The score is still too high

Lol Whatever you say mate.

The geography point is really, really, really stupid. You'll probably spend tens of hours in the huge world, discovering places for the first time. Then you are supposed to repeat that over and over and going miles through already cleared places just to go back to your base and add a scope to your gun? Convenience is not the prime directive, sanity is.

I'm really sick of "gatekeeper" gamers who righteously declare what games belongs to what genre while ignoring, at this point, decades of history that show otherwise. is LARPing not roleplaying because there's no dice rolls involved? By that same metric CRPGs aren't rpgS either because they could never replace a tabletop experience.

Fallout 4 is an RPG, plain and simple. There are definitely choices to be made throughout the game even if there is a lot of "raider shooting" to be done. Anyone who says otherwise has either not played the game or lying.

I agree with you. All of Tom's critiques are fair except that one. There is no "need' to fast travel.

Fast Travel is a convenience only, it's not there to supplant exploration. In fact those who do rely solely on fast travel will hinder their game experience simply because they're going to miss out on numerous random encounters and other spontaneous events that happen in the game world. In my own experience, I only fast travel in certain areas where I know enemy spawns have ceased, such as the Boston waterfront which gets pretty quiet in
the mid to late game otherwise I'm walking about 80 percent of the time.

Were it up to me, Bethesda would hybridize fast travel with random encounters so that you can have the best of both worlds while playing but until then being able to fast travel for convenience's sake is not the same as NEEDING to fast travel let alone being forced.

By the very same logic that Tom and L1b3r7y use, being able to exploit stealth perks or having access to cheat codes via game's console would also create a "need" to use them, but that's clearly not true. Exploits are completely a player's choice, if they ruin their experience it was of their own doing and the same goes for using fast travel.

Engaging a game like Fallout, like any role-playing game, requires a certain amount of discipline in order to get the most out of it.

"They also could have solved this by only allowing fast travel between established settlements"

Could be a nice mod indeed

You need to look up the definition of dumbfounded.

You are completely misuing the term "gatekeeper", which is typically used to denote people who try and say who is and who is not a real gamer, it has nothing to do with discussing what genre a game falls under.