You'll never guess who drags down the gameplay in Alien: Isolation

Psychic powers? Huh?

uhm typhon powers or whatever they called them.

Is that something from the game? Don’t remember anything like that.

Sorry, looks like we have a misunderstanding here.
I was replying to to Tom, when he said he wanted a game with Prey’s gameplay set on Sevastopol Station.
Not sure if You have played Prey, but You gain like supernatural type powers to combat the enemies. It’s a cool theme, but I don’t think it would be a good fit for the Alien universe.

Ah, sorry.

Wow, this was 2014? Just trying it now… I would have said it was 2019 or something.

Hoo… finished. 19 hours. This feels like a looong game. Perhaps because the dread is pretty permanent. The end stretch turned out to stretch… and stretch… and… By the end I felt more worn out than Ripley, who’d been hit by about three trains, fours aliens and a hurricane of falling elevators in the past twenty minutes. There may have been an anvil.

I’d say the mainly corridor-creeping, crate-rifling gameplay loop was too mundane for me on reflection. I know Alien has claustrophobic settings, but for me the coolest bits were the spacey bits involving clambering around outside with a view of the gas giant. Scrabbling round for items A and C to make consumable F doesn’t hold my interest. I can’t remember if that was already old in 2014 but it felt over-familiar to me. Cutting doors open was ok, but maybe only the first fifty times.

The alien as a threat worked well for me. It’s ok for detection by a highly evolved predator to lead to game over, man. It’s also only true for about half the time, when you’re unarmed.

Of the stuff they had, I feel they could have moved a few hours into DLC. And of the stuff they didn’t do, I wish there’d been a little more space stuff. Nice to have this stuff on Gamepass. I give it 4/5 stars for Alien fans, and 3/5 for people ok with the corridor-skulker as a genre.

Yeah, that was my feeling too. I didn’t quite beat it but I think I got pretty close. I’ve revisited it since then from time to time, just to soak in that atmosphere, though. It’s the closest you can get to living inside the 1979 film. Which doesn’t seem like a place you’d want to live, but oddly for me it’s a kind of comfort zone.

I liked the game but I hated the mini game to open doors. I had a bad glitch about halfway in and perhaps that wasn’t such bad luck. I watched a video and decided I had already played the best part.

Quite a few times I would come to some new console to hack and find myself thinking ’ Huh?’ but that seemed pretty in character and appropriate for the situation :)

I agree as far as the length is concerned. I think they wanted to echo Alien’s false ending and went overboard a bit, and it started to overstay its welcome towards the end. It’s still an incredible game, though, and perfectly captures the sound and feel of the film.

It is such a great game but if they would have just cut 5 - 10 hours of content it would have been a masterpiece.

I picked this up, with the DLC, for like $9.95 on GOG. It feels like a very solid AA game, with great atmosphere, decent controls, and a decent premise. I can see it getting repetitive and wearying for sure, but it’s also kind of neat.

It does however do one of the things that I despise in game design, which is have enemies drop things that you can’t pick up. Had to kill two or three or four stupid humans with my wrench. Each of them dropped a pistol. I can kick the damn gun down the stairs or across the floor, I can loot their ammo, but nope, can’t pick up that weapon, no ma’am, not right now. I know the game will provide one soon enough (both from what I’ve read and, well, logic), and I know that for balance purposes they don’t want you to be armed up that early, but it still feels janky as hell.