Young pretentious twatwaffle builds wooden ugly steampunk computer

I actually went to the link and I think I am of the same opinion. In fact I will go so far as to say that “Keegan McNamara” is not even this person’s actual name!

In two words, Mr. Tivy suggested otium and providence .

I mean come on.

I lost interest in reading a few thousand words in, with another ten to go. I’ve tried searching the text to find answers, but I can’t, so I’ll ask here:

What hardware is in this thing?

Why don’t you email him and ask!

[email protected]

He can’t check his email if he’s using his own computer.

According to his reddit post:

Intel NUC with a proper CPU, 8GB of RAM, and 500GB of NVMe storage. Those are all hugely overkill, but I’ve had bad experiences with a pi being underpowered in the past!

Those are pathetic specs worthy of how beautiful it is.

Did you miss the part about it being a PROPER CPU? Not one of those pansy N4xxx things. Ew.

8GB of RAM hasn’t been adequate in forever.

Where’s the turbo button?

Pretty adequate for an offline word processor.

This reminds me of the Freewrite Hemingway. Here are a few of the eighty thousand words I have written regarding this splendid machine. Its keys are sure and smooth, and they do not stick or jangle. The ink on the screen is clear and sharp, like the blades of a hunting knife. The electronic ink screen is a beauty, sharp and clear like a mountain stream. The build quality is exceptional, sturdy and dependable, just like a good fishing rod.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on the Freewrite Hemingway. It was like seeing an old friend after many years apart. The clean lines, the satisfying click of the mechanical keyboard, the simplicity of the design. It took me back to a simpler time, a time when writing was a craft that required nothing more than pen and paper. But this was something special. The e-ink screen was like magic, no glare, no distractions, just pure, unadulterated writing. It was a tool for serious writers, for those who lived and breathed the written word. And I knew, from that moment on, that the it would be my constant companion on the long and winding road of the writing life.

I recall sitting on the deck of a fishing boat, the sun setting in the distance, and my Freewrite Hemingway resting in my lap. The smell of saltwater and diesel fuel mingled in the air, and the sound of the waves lapping against the hull was a soothing lullaby. I couldn’t help but think of how far technology had come, how this simple device had revolutionized the way I wrote. No more stacks of paper, no more ink-stained hands, just me and the words flowing from my fingertips. This was a modern marvel, a tool that made writing easier and more enjoyable than ever before. As I gazed out at the vast expanse of ocean before me, I knew that this device was more than just a tool, it was a part of me, a companion on the journey of life and writing.

The Freewrite Hemingway was my long lost love. It was the one that got away, the one that I let slip through my fingers. I remember the days we spent together, the countless hours of writing, the adventures we embarked upon. But then, like all good things, it was gone. I tried to find a replacement, but nothing could compare to the simplicity. The elegance. The sheer joy of the Freewrite Hemingway. It haunted me, like a ghost from my past, a reminder of what I had lost. And then, one day, fate intervened. I stumbled upon a dusty old box in the attic, and there it was, my long lost love, still shining bright, still waiting for me. As I held it in my hands, tears streamed down my face. It was like we had never been apart, like we were meant to be together all along. And as I started typing, the words flowed like a river, and I knew that I had found my way back to the love of my life, the Freewrite Hemingway.

Pretty sure it’s a joke, guys.

Our family TV when I was growing up was one of those wooden fake furniture CRTs. There was a lot to hide back then, of course. Aesthetics have changed, and molded wood or even flowing plastic is out.

I guess the closest I’d want to ‘hardware wrappers’ would be like the NES or SNES shell for the Rasberry Pi, something nostalgic, or else less about weird curves and more of a detail oriented thing like that ornamental metal on those pistols. Maybe I’d hide a mid-tower in a normal-looking side table in a living room?

Well, that’s better than what I thought this thing was:

A very fancy ipad case.

@rei This thread really delivers on the title.

That Hemingway typewriter makes me wish I were a writer so I could justify buying one!

While I won’t argue with the young pretentious twatwaffle part. I mean I spent 30 years in this industry before I decided technology was evil and moved to a cabin in the hills to take up woodworking. Graduated in 2019? Get off my lawn and back to the software mines you wippersnapper!

Still, I love the build. You heathens don’t appreciate its fine lines, its hard switches and blinking lights, the two tone finish. I’m not sorry, I love it.

You sound like A Singular Kinda Guy.

I had to get Chatgpt help write that in the style of Hemingway. I wish I could take credit.

See, that’s the thing, it’s ugly. There’s nothing wrong with thinking computers should look better than they do today, but that thing looks bad from both a functional and aesthetic viewpoint. It’s like the guy looked at all those 19th century objects and all he got was “things look better if you put in some wood or polished metal”.

What a bizarre thread. I was expecting something utterly grotesque, but not only is this computer not steampunk (compare to this), it’s design is extremely restrained, resembling little more than streamlined wood case for an old-school Unix terminal.

Sure, the writing is pretentious, but I’m also not about to sit down and fucking read it. The design itself is totally unobjectionable.

1 Like