Your favorite movie(s) of 2011?

Just saw Tree of Life for the first time.

Bad movie with the most beautiful sequence I’ve seen/heard since The Fountain.

I’d almost include it as a favorite film for that, but not quite.

Over the weekend I saw Beginners, Tinker Tailor and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Thus, my list is revised to…

1. The Muppets
  2. Beginners
  3. 13 Assassins (forgot about this one)
  4. Young Adult
  5. Drive

Everything else was a little bit of a bummer. I hope to catch Take Shelter later this week before it vacates the second-run theaters.

13 Assassins was great. Man the final 45 minutes of that movie is some of the best ninja/samurai fighting around.

I saw Bellflower last night and hated it. It was almost unwatchable, with the tacky digitally colored “cinematography” and the fake dirty camera lens. The director seemed to be trying for a found-footage look, which makes no sense in the context of a non-found-footage movie. And if you are going to shoot some scenes through a dirty lens, at least keep the grime consistent. Besides the muddled direction, the characters and story were unpleasant and boring. At one point I shut it off, but decided to finish it anyway. I have no idea how this got good reviews.

Why would you say that “There’s a good chance most of you have already seen this”? Your post is the only one in this entire forum that mentions the film, I think.

I just did see it, and was very moved by it.

This is really quite good.

I was wondering what else Mr. Sideways and Election and About Schmidt had been up to, so I was checking out highly rated metacritic movies in his list.

I loved the actor who played Clay Davis in the Wire telling his fellow “insurance agents” in his best black-guy-white-guy voice that he was a big enthusiast of the HBO show “The Wire”.

He just nails middle americana, every time. Stellar casting, too.