Your Next Gen Backlog - enhanced

One thing I liked when there was a break between generations was that I felt like I was leaving my old backlog behind and starting fresh. Not anymore! I will take plenty of backlog with me to Series X and PS5 (eventually).

But what’s best is that we’re at the point where going back is advantageous. You get perhaps a better resolution on older games, a better frame rate, perhaps auto HDR. So going back to revisit older games on newer hardware is now a pretty cool prospect.

So what’s your next gen backlog at the moment? Games you want to finish or start on the newest hardware?

Here is one of them. I’ll make one for PS5 down the road too.

Series X backlog

AAA games

Gears 5 Act 2
Gears Tactics mission 3 onward
Forza Horizon 4 Lego
Tetris Effect: Connected
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Red Dead Redemption 2 Act 3 onward
Master Chief Collection
Witcher 3’s two expansion packs
Fallout: New Vegas
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Bully Scholarship Edition Start of Summer
Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered
AC4
AC Unity
AC Syndicate
AC Odyssey
Wolfenstein 2 moon
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Gears of War 4
Crackdown 3

Indie

The Falconeer
Plague Tales
Subnautica
Outer Wilds

Soulsborne Games

Dark Souls 3
The Surge
The Surge 2
Remnant From the Ashes

JRPGs

Final Fantasy XIII
Tales of Vesperia Definitive
Lost Odyssey Disc 4
Blue Dragon
Enchanted Arms

RDR2 and Monster Hunter maybe, loading times on RDR2 is pretty brutal. I got pretty far with both and then PC gaming kind of took over again and I haven’t gone back in almost a year. I got a really nice chair though for some quality console goodness.

Oh god, don’t get me started.

Seriously. Making my backlog list is just another backlog.

21 of your backlog titles are on my backlog. If I made a list, it would break QT3.

I will be dragging this backlog to the Xbox Series X Take 5 version 2.0. Thankfully, the 128 GB of RAM and 24 core CPU will allow me to play 2 backlog titles at once on a split screen.

Did you know that, so they say, if you managed to think of ever digit of Graham’s Number in your head, it would collapse into a black hole? That’s my backlog.

But if I end up with a PS5, there are several 1st party Sony games I’d like to play or finish with some kind of enhanced (again) modes.

I’ve actually been looking for lists of enhanced or better performing games.

Before I assemble my list I have but one question, is there a character limit per post on our Discord software?

I bought the Control Ultimate Edition specifically for the PS5 upgrade. I played it for a few minutes on my PS4 Pro, and I enjoyed it, but I paused with the plan of returning on the PS5.

I also picked up No Man’s Sky when it was on mega sale a few weeks ago. Spent an hour or three and also found it to be something I’d like to spend more time with. It’s also getting a big PS5 improvement, supposedly.

Finally, I picked up RDR2 on sale and I’ve spent about four hours or so playing. Then I got sucked into Hades. I haven’t gone back, so if I get lucky maybe I’ll resume it on a PS5 and take advantage of the improved load times.

That’s it.

I’ve done a pretty good job of clearing my console backlog over the last year, and I’m not planning on getting a next gen console immediately, so I don’t really have much. The Last Guardian, I suppose. Ghost of Tsushima if I haven’t finished it by then.

I feel like there are a ton of games on gamepass that I’m gonna be playing with initially on the XSX. Not new games, just games I didn’t play on the last gen since I didn’t have an XBox.

I guess this is my current PS4 list. Hopefully I won’t have many of these left by the time I get a PS5 down the road:

Uncharted 3’s last 3rd
Spider-Man
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete
Wipeout: Omega Collection
God of War
Rez Infinite
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s end
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin (for when I finally get PSVR)
The Last Guardian

I’ll probably own Last of Us II & Ghost of Tsushima & maybe Days Gone at some point too

I mean that’s not a backlog, that’s a Greatist Hits list. Pretty much pick any of those and have a good time.

Maybe I’ll get past the new crafting portion of NMS eventually. I get to base making and my eyes glaze over end I drift away to another game. It’s just not what I want to spend time doing as there’s so little geographic variability between planets, hunting for ore is just so much grind. I preferred the original version pre crafting.

Here’s my backlog in the sense of games that I actually started on older hardware, and plan to finish on the new systems:

XSX:

• Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Ninja Gaiden 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

PS5:

• God of War
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn

That seems manageable, but there will definitely be a lot more that I try out from Game Pass or PS+ (Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Crash Trilogy). And I might well buy Ghost of Tsushima or Nioh 2 to play on PS5.