Your smartphone history and reasons you replaced your old phone

Well I really jinxed myself by posting in this thread because my Moto X Play stopped taking a charge last night. It’s stuck at 3% and the notification bar shows a charging icon but when you go into the battery section of settings, it says “not charging”. So I guess I’ll be getting the new (old) shiny after all. I see that the Moto 5G Plus is on sale on Amazon right now for $169 so I jumped on that as I’ve been really happy with Moto so far (non-functioning battery excepted). But I’m perfectly fine with upgrading my phone every two years if I only have to pay $169 each time!

Original iPhone -> 3GS -> 4 -> 5 ->6+. Going to get the 8+.

2011-2013 Galaxy S - contract expired, got an upgrade
2013-2015 Galaxy S3 or 2? - dropped it in some water when I fell aslseep whilst drunk
2015 - borrowed something, can’t remember what it was
2015-2017 Blade ZTE6 - from now on I am only buying cheap phones and not getting them under contract. it was kind of a mediocre phone but who cares, if i got drunk and broke it i lost little
2017- Nextbit Robin - lovely phone, definitely a bargain

New phone! I just ordered a Moto X4 with Google’s Fi service. My old phone is a Samsung S5 that is starting to flake out…battery issues, needs rebooting regularly, etc…so I’d been thinking about changing soon anyway. And my carrier was H2owireless, a cheapo-pay-as-you-go plan, which mostly worked but was certainly slow. Plus I’m getting tired of watching every data MB.

I’d been thinking of trying out Project Fi since I read about it a few weeks back, and when a $100 credit deal with the Moto X4 showed up today, it seemed like a good sign. Reviews of the X4 say it’s a solid budget phone which is what I need. Should come in sometime next week and we’ll see if all this works as advertised!

I read this thread and cringe due to all the energy/toxic chemicals used in the manufacturing/recycling of smartphones. Lots of little kids in India disassembling the phones and melting stuff down.

Anyway:

2015: Nokia 635 - I would still use this as my primary phone except that 1) there are fewer apps than Android/Apple and 2) it’s missing the sensor that detects if your head is near the speaker so that the phone knows to turn the screen back on and let you press buttons. I still use it as an bedside alarm and for listening to Audiobooks and music since the newest Sandisk Sansas suck pretty bad. Wi-fi still works on it.

2017: Motorola E4 - I’m not entirely happy with this phone. I learned that I prefer Windows Phone 10, and some of the apps I was missing and hoping for are actually really buggy. It’s also a lot bigger.

Moto X4 showed up today and everything seems to be working as expected thus far. If anyone else decides to try out Google’s Project Fi as a service option, PM me…they gave me a ref link where we both get $20 credit.

Using Android Auto

I’m about to make my current smartphone history. I had no interest in replacing it really, but since the update it’s a lot more responsive, which is great, but the notification are ear damaging loud when on a Bluetooth device.

Reasons I replace my phone, always, something about it no longer functions properly, or it becomes just bad at some point.

Some of you guys spend a lot of money on phones. :o

2011 - LG Optimus V - LGVM670 (Android 2.2) was crap, I remember wanting a RAZR but couldn’t afford it. Was so slow, sooooo slow.
2013 - LG Optimus Elite (Android 2.3.7) I remember it had double the memory, and it was less crap, I bought it at Radio Shack! The last purchase I ever made at a Radio Shack. Bluetooth went to shit.
2016 - LG Nexus 5x (Android 6/7/8) good phone! Project Fi is great for my needs.

It’s like I am not even trying!

Side note, before my first smartphone I owned a Pebl for like 5 years. It was built like a tank.

ok just got an 8 plus today.

iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4s -> Note 2 -> Note 4 -> iPhone 8+

After having been away from the iPhone environment for a good while, the 8 is a pretty impressive phone. The big knock on Android phones is that they are pretty much locked into the version of Android that they ship with. Both Notes got replaced after they started going into reboot loops and needed factory resets to function. F that.

The bezels are downright archaic compared to modern Android phones, much less the X. I mean, they look silly.

Oddly enough, I found the new Samsung designs off-putting. Guess I’m a traditionalist. The wife’s getting an X, but I think I would constantly be distracted by the indent at the top of the screen.

I know it sounds like marketing spin, but your brain is really good at ignoring visual noise. I don’t even notice the notch anymore.

The notch is perfectly fine as long as you keep the phone in portrait orientation. It’s frickin’ ridiculous in landscape, but I basically never use my phone that way.

~2006: O2 XDA Exec. Windows Mobile 5.0 with touchscreen and integrated stylus. People were genuinely amazed by it when they saw me with it in the wild.

September 2010: HTC Desire

May 2012: HTC One X - returned due to manufacturing fault

September 2012: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

January 2013: LG Nexus 4 - purchased to have a smaller phone, but didn’t like it and gave it to my girlfriend

October 2013: LG Nexus 5 - battery life was so bad that I sold it after 3 days

November 2013: LG G2 - favourite phone I’ve had. Only changed because the screen smashed and it was too expensive to fix.

May 2015: Asus Zenfone 2 - buggy software, one of the worst screens i’ve ever used on a phone, and battery life was poor

May 2015: LG G4 - crap battery life, but would have kept it except it had a manufacturing defect. I dodged a bullet it seems, with the whole bootloop issue. Only phone I’ve ever had get so hot in normal use that it shut itself down.

June 2015: Samsung Galaxy S5 - cheap, boring and safe option. Was bored of trying to find a mid-range phone that wasn’t crap.

April 2017: Moto Z - so far have had to return it to the manufacturer twice for repair.

The hunt for an android phone that isn’t built like shit continues!

Wow, I’ve never had a manufacturing problem with an iPhone, ever. They work great until I replace them, every single time. That’s a dismaying list.

I did have an iPhone 5 with a bloated overheating battery, but it was 5 years old when that happened. Was using it as an ipod touch.

I’ve already decided my next phone will be an iPhone. Probably a 7 Plus. I’m not particularly wealthy, but I’m wealthy enough to pay a premium just to have guaranteed customer service and a very high likelihood of having a phone that works and will continue to work.

Last time I sent my Motorola away for repair it took 8 weeks to get it returned, and they made me feel like I was being unreasonable in chasing them up after 5 weeks had passed with no contact.

If you want to stick with Android I think you’d be fine with a Samsung flagship as well, aside from the Note 7 (obviously) they are very well made.

I don’t like aesthetic they’ve gone with for the S8, when a friend in work handed me it I thought it both looked and felt cheap. I also still really dislike touchwiz!

Alrighty. Very subjective thing.