Your Song / Album of the Week?

Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself. I came across this album on Yahoo Unlimited and took a peek even though the style (pop? dance? somewhere in the middle and to the side?) doesn’t normally fit me. I’m digging it.

Robert Johnsons recordings this week, and plenty of time on the pentatonic scale.

I bought a bunch of CD’s after Christmas but the only thing I want to listen to is Sufjan Stevens’ Illinois. For some reason it has grabbed me more than I thought it would.

Album of the week: Ill Mitch is Still Mitch. It’s weird, though… the beats are better and the rhymes more fluid than on Punch While Rap, and it’s at least twice as long, so it seems like it should be better, but I think I still like PWR better… I guess I just like his attitude better, and also, his voice is different on Still Mitch. It’s deeper. It actually reminds me of Benefit, which isn’t a bad thing, except that it’s making me wonder if they might actually be the same person.

I just can’t think of Joe Cocker without thinking about Belushi … that was such brilliant stuff when I was a kid in the 70’s. :D

I’m listening to ‘Duke Ellington: Masterpieces 1926-1949’, which is a 4CD set featuring 93 songs.

I know - 93 ‘masterpieces’ … I think not! But there are a load of masterpieces, some classics, and the rest are enjoyable and quite listenable.

Mike

Aint nothin wrong with that at all Bill, had to listen to this the other day myself.

Though in the car I’ve been listening to Deep Purple’s Mitzie Dupree.Over and over.

I just can’t think of Joe Cocker without thinking about Belushi …

Amen! Till this day, I can’t go up to a drive through window without saying “CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER, …”

…Coke?

NO COKE … PEPSI!

Listening to Miles Davis ‘Cellar Door Sessions’ again … the six-CD collection that includes everything that eventually became ‘Live Evil’ … really great stuff.

Mike

Brand new Built to Spill is up at their My Space, for those who are interested. A bit “jam-my” (not The Jam-my) for my taste, but still happy to hear some new BtS.

Hey, Poops, did you ever hear the BtS live record? Twenty minute version of Neil Young’s “Cortez The Killer”. Talk about jammy.

Their ‘Cortez’ was definitely jammy, but it’s still a great song.

Sidenote: The second time I saw BtS was at the Showbox here in Seattle on their last tour. At the end, the obligatoy “Freebird!” was shouted by some dumbass. BtS then launched into a note for note version of the song. They played the whole goddamn thing, exactly the way Skynrd did. I still don’t know if that made me happy or sad…

Just picked up The Replacements “All For Nothing - Nothing For All”. Disc One is a “Best Of”. Disc Two is B-sides, live recordings and obscure tracks.

Nixon Now - Altamont Nation Express

God knows I love the 'Mats, but that “best of” is only the stuff released on Sire, from Tim on up. That sucks, because Let It Be is easily my fave record by them - how can you leave “Androgynous” or “I Will Dare” or “Answering Machine” off a Replacements best-of?

Still, there’s some great songs on that comp, because both Tim and Pleased To Meet Me are solid records - “Skyway”, “Left Of The Dial”, the insanely great “Alex Chilton”. And, of course, “Here Comes A Regular”, one of my all-time favourite songs by anybody ever.

The second disc is worth owning just for their gloriously drunken cover of “Cruella de Ville” from Disney’s 101 Dalmations.

and “Beer for Breakfast”!

I actually bought it for the cover of The Only Ones’ “Another Girl, Another Planet”. It was on some soundtrack compilation back in the 80’s and I played that record to death. The Replacements just kick it all over the place - “I don’t need rehabilitatin’ !!!”

But, yeah, it’s a shame the earlier stuff wasn’t on there. “Answering Machine” definitely. That’s the song that got me into The Replacements way back when. And another, old, obscure one for disk two would have been “If Only You Were Lonely”. That was THE drinking song for my buddies and I in college.

Well I walked out of work
And I was tired as hell
Another day come and gone and oh well
Somewhere there’s a drink with my name on it

Well, I ordered a Scotch as I bust through them doors
Spilled half on my jeans
The other half on the floor
When I saw you standing by that video game

Well, I ain’t very good
But I get practice by myself
Forgot my one line
So I just said what I felt

If only you were lonely,
If only you was lonely too,
If only you was lonely
I’d go home with you

Twenty push-ups this morning, that was half my goal
Tonight I’ll be doin’ pull-ups
On the toliet bowl
And somewhere there’s somebody a-throwin up

Well I broke the seal on my door
And I poured myself to bed
The whirlpool spinning around in my head
Around in my head
There was liquor on my breath
And you were on my mind

And I’ll be dreamin of that smile
Without a care in the world
If only you were lonely,
If only you was lonely too,
If only you was lonely

I walked out of the kitchen
I was tired as hell
Another day’s here–oh well
Somewhere there’s a smile with my name on it.