Your top 15 Sci-fi movies of all time

I am this close to gifting you an Amazon Rental. I have so much freaking stored up in Gift Cards it’s ridiculous.

Besides, the ending is obvious after the first 15 minutes. That’s not a knock on the movie. It’s just impossible not to figure it out if you’re paying attention.

Unlike Planet of the Apes. There is foreshadowing, but Serling was a genius. I mean its so iconic now as to almost be parody. But that is just because it is ingrained in the culture now. On it’s own terms its a sci fi gobsmack.

Oh yeah, being an old guy, I saw Planet of the Apes in the theater during its initial run. The ending produced an audible gasp from the audience, including me.

Sadly the ending was spoiled for me by the TV guide entry for the movie. Their one sentence summary of the movie mentioned that the astronauts land on… you know where. I thought “oh, that sounds like an interesting movie, I’ll watch that when it comes on at 2pm”. It was only after watching the movie did I realize that the guide entry was a huge spoiler.

ONly seen one reply with Forbidden Planet - more of you need to see that.

Also, Tank Girl was all sorts of fun. Innespace fits this too, as well as Honey, I shrunk the kids

Moon doesn’t make my list - fun, but not something I’d watch again.

One which isn’t necessarily top 15, but great nonetheless is Outland

The Abyss was also a great movie

Yeah, that is a travesty. That actually makes me mad. I mean, its a Simpson’s joke today, because its iconic. It ain’t on my Top 7 for nothing.

Seen it. Just not in my Top 40 even. Its OK.

Not a fan of Tank Girl, the Abyss.

Outland however is underrated. I’d put that in my Top 25.

Interesting. That’s never been one of my criteria when judging my top movies.

Oh for me it is. That is a sign you have something that bears reexamining. Themes, performances, etc. I don’t objectively, consciously think that while making the list, but looking at the above, all were subject to re-viewing at least 3 or 4 times.

Hmmm. Well, judging by that criteria alone, my top science fiction movie would be Edge of Tomorrow.

Hey wait a minute, I don’t think that movie has been mentioned at all in this thread yet. But to be fair, most of the thread took place before that movie came out.

It also didn’t resonate for me that much. Not exactly sure why. I have it in my top 30, but mostly for other people’s opinion. In hindsight, I could even see removing it from the top 30 in favor of Brazil.

Here’s kind of where I’m at, but not too ordered:

Gattaca
Forbidden Planet
Star Wars
The Matrix
Alien
Aliens
Robocop
The Empire Strikes Back
Blade Runner
Innerspace
Terminator
Terminator 2
Back to the Future
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Gravity
The Thing
The Edge of Tomorrow
Planet of the Apes
Pitch Black
The Abyss
Predator
Wall-E
Tank Girl
Iron Giant
Dark Star
Galaxy Quest
Ex Machina
Moon
Inception
Outland
Road Warrior
Brazil

Looks like you beat me to posting it ;)

I think I need to consider putting The Last Jedi up there too - while The Force Awakens was incredibly derivative, I really, really like what they did with the Last Jedi.

Why? Because it’s a Sci Fi Groundhog Day? :)

30 movies listed, where is DUNE?

D:

Well, he likes, blue milk, so…

I like your list and thought we could be Besties @Pyperkub (even if it veered a bit to modern for me ) but then you subverted my expectations. :)

It is interesting that no one mentioned Groundhog Day either. I guess I would also regard what goes on in that movie as more spiritual than science fiction. The movie doesn’t specify either way, but I when Harold Ramos talks about it, I heard him mention how most people approach him about the movie with a spiritual interpretation.

But yes, that’s one reason why I love Edge of Tomorrow. I also really love the dialog and story, and the transformation of the main character. In some ways, I think I might love it even more than Groundhog day. Just the way they unfold the reveals. The scene in that farmhouse is just so deliciously good. Every time I watch the movie, even though I know what’s coming, I anticipate it so eagerly. The same with the last lines they say to each other at the end of the movie. I’m always eagerly leaning forward every time, even though I know it’s coming.

Interesting, I never thought of it as spiritual, but never even thought of it in the same breath as Sci Fi until writing that, but I did there for a second. I don’t think it is though, I think it’s a “Tale of the Fantastic”. Kind of a successor to a Twilight Zone sort of concept (Neither Sci Fi, Supernatural nor Magic/Fantasy. Just “Fantastic”).

Love Forbidden Planet (which gave its name to an outstanding comic book store in NYC in the '80s). The first time I saw it I was a little kid and it scared the crap out of me. Shakespeare’s The Tempest in outer space, the debut of Robbie the Robot, and Leslie Nielsen before he was called Shirley.