Your top 3 movies of 2019?

I’d like to see what you all felt were your favorite movies of the year.

1. Endgame
  2. Knives Out
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home

I barely saw a dozen movies this year, so my list is about as mainstream as it gets. But I’m also a huge fan of the whole MCU, so Endgame would’ve likely been tops no matter how many other amazing films I found time for.

As far as 2019 movies go, I think I only watched Joker and Marriage Story. I wish I had seen more - Endgame, Parasite, The Invisible Life, The Irishman, Detective Pikachu. I might get to watch Rise of Skywalker in the next couple days, so there’s that, I suppose.

EDIT: oh wait, I watched Alita: Battle Angel as well! So my list would be:

1. Marriage Story
  2. Joker
  3. Alita: Battle Angel

1.) The Lighthouse
2.) Dolomite is My Name
3.) There is no third film

I saw about 35 movies released in 2019 this year (+ some 2018 releases that only came to the theaters in Switzerland this year). I’m not totally sure of the top 3 yet, but it’d be from the following list (in that rough order).

1. Cold Pursuit
  2. Ford v Ferrari
  3. Knives Out
  4. Yesterday
  5. Motherless Brooklyn

Ignoring Netflix movies (because then this would be too easy), the bottom three would definitely come from the following list:

• Hellboy
  • Ad Astra
  • Dark Phoenix
  • Glass
  • Men in Black: International

Looks like I saw exactly two movies made in 2019, so I guess my two best movies of 2019 were Ad Astra and Detective Pikachu. I couldn’t say which was ranked 1 and which was 2, they were both pretty good.

I was debating whether to watch this. Is it a good sci-fi film? Or is it more about emotional turmoil? I’ve been staying away from stuff on the emotional front, but am totally up for sci-fi/fantasy focused fare.

You may want to avoid then.

OK thanks :)

I didn’t see many new films this year. So here is what I got:

Endgame
Wick Chapter 3
Angel Has Fallen

Looks like I saw six that were released this year. The best three were:

Knives Out
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Little Women

I suppose The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and Endgame. Three big, special movies/special situations. I saw a lot this year and enjoyed most of it.

Knives Out
the Top Gun Maverick trailer

I’m not sure I saw anything I absolutely loved this year. I liked some of them a lot.

Liked a lot:

• Glass
  • Ford vs Ferrari

Liked:

• Shazam!
  • Alita: Battle Angel
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Spiderman: Far from Home
  • Late Night
  • Brittany Runs a Marathon

Was just okay:

• Captain Marvel
  • Star Wars Ep IX: Rise of Skywalker
  • Good Boys
  • Bumblebee
  • Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
  • John Wick 3

Didn’t like/Couldn’t finish:

• Aquaman
  • Men in Black International
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Maybe I’m forgetting some of the smaller movies I watched this year. If so, it might come to me later. Those were the big ones though.

I wasn’t convinced I had even seen three 2019 movies, but it turns out I had. here’s my top three:

1. Avengers Endgame
  2. Us
  3. Captain Marvel

But you have to put those in context of the very few movies that I saw… the vast majority on 48 hours’ worth of intercontinental flights. Here’s what the above three were up against:

The Dead Don’t Die
Alita: Battle Angel
HtTYD: The Hidden World
Hellboy
Longshot
The 15% of Aquaman that I didn’t fall asleep during

If I had to drill down to just the 3 overall best movies I watched from 2019, it would be these, in no particular order:

The Irishman
Midsommar
Parasite

But, if I had a top 3 for categories, it would be these:

Horror
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Crawl

Action/Thriller
Parasite
Avengers: Endgame
John Wick 3

Drama
The Irishman
Joker
Marriage Story

Comedy
Knives Out
JoJo Rabbit

I haven’t seen 1917 yet.

Ok, that would be my number 3 above, if push came to shove. Slipped my mind.

Hopefully Knives Out is streaming. I would like to watch that tonight as so many of you have recommended it.

It came out recently, it’s still in theaters.

I counted eight I saw this year. My three favorites:

Booksmart
Little Women
The Lighthouse