Your Top Six “Western Films”?

Sometimes. Sometimes (like with John Ford) you get things just as nuanced as you would find in the 70s, for instance. Or Zinneman. Or Raoul Walsh.

Okay, took some time to think about my top 6

In no particular order:

• Once Upon a Time in the West
    I think this is Leone’s masterpiece. I love the dollars movies, but this is him unleashed. It is long, plodding, and absolutely engrossing. All of the leads are terrific. All of their themes are fantastic to listen to, and God is the movie beautiful to look at. The first 10:00 is a great litmus test. If you’re not sold by the time Bronson gets off the train then you’re not going to like the rest of the film.

• The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    I went back and forth between this and the Searchers for a long time. I think the Searchers is a better movie (and indisputably more influential), but Liberty Valance stays with me more. It is not as epic in scope, but feels like a more relatable human drama. Searchers is a technicolor masterpiece while Liberty Valance is a western noir. Marvin, Wayne, and especially Stewart simply being the film to life. Can still bring a tear to my eye.

• No Country For Old Men
    My favorite Coen Brothers film. Lean and sinewy the movie refuses to let up. Every scene is masterfully crafted, and Chigurh is absolutely menacing. Every time I watch it I appreciate it more.

• Unforgiven
    Probably the bleakest of my picks. There are no heroes. There is no glamour. There is mud and there is blood. William Munny is not a good man who did something bad, he is a murderer of women and children. Little Bill is not an honorable sheriff, but a pragmatic sadist. Great performances across the board and showcases Eastwood’s ability on both sides of the camera

• Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    This movie is not perfect, but Newman and Redford are so magnetic, and the script is so enjoyable, that I welcome any diversions the film takes.

• The Proposition
    Heart of Darkness in the Outback. An unrelenting fever dream. Very few movies establish a mood as well as this film does. Was amazing on the big screen. A lot of flaws, but it holds together for me. Winstone and Watson carry their roles, and John Hurt is a mad delight. Not as enjoyable a watch as some of the others, but incredibly transfixing.

Honorable mentions: the Wild Bunch, the Searchers, High Noon, the Good the Bad, and the Ugly

I don’t disagree. But, in this case, I would argue that the Ford films are the foundation everyone else is building upon. Chronological might not be the absolute best way, but I think it works pretty well in this situation.

I’d concur with that. What they are not is tropey or patronizing. There is a whole pop culture subliminal memory’s worth of an endless supply of B Western films (and TV shows) that get rolled together with Ford, for instance, in the collective memory. They indeed were tropey. Ford stands out because he isn’t tropey. Your two examples above (& Fort Apache, etc, etc,. etc.). :)

Agreed, Ford was not tropey, but his work inspired a lot of imperfect imitations that became so.

Oh and I believe The Proposition is also on Prime Video.

This is the order that I would do (pretty much chronological):

Red River
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
A Fistful of Dollars
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Unforgiven
The Proposition
Hateful 8
Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Less essential
Young Guns
The Long Riders

Tome consuming but worth it
Deadwood

Awesome, thanks a lot!

This. Once is the movie that sent me looking for the music of Ennio Morricone. One of my finds along the way is a great album, a collaboration between Morricone and Yo Yo Ma. Morricone arranges his film music for cello as the lead theme in each piece, conducts the orchestra, and Yo Yo Ma plays. It is a gorgeous album, not to be missed for fans of Morricone’s film music.

Ooh, thanks for posting that, Scott. I didn’t know about that album and I’ll definitely have to check it out. Morricone’s themes seem perfect for cello.

You’re welcome. I bought it on cd years ago. Turns out it is on Amazon Prime music now, and you can buy a used cd for about $2.

And a mention that if you do have Amazon Prime, Ennio’s actual movie music is compiled and available there as well. As an example:

So, I just started reading “The Sisters Brothers” and am enjoying it a lot. Came out in 2011, but I completely missed it. Was very surprised to realize I also missed the movie version that came out this fall!

John C. Reilly, Jake Gyllenhall, Joaquin Phoenix, and Riz Ahmed in a dark comedy western! This sounds pretty fantastic (and got good reviews). Really surprised I hadn’t even heard about it, though based on the box office it seems no one did. Anyone here watch it?

The Sisters Brothers just released this year, a couple months ago. I’ve been meaning to see it but haven’t had a chance to just yet.

Comedy western sounds like box office poison, especially a dark comedy. Could be good though.