You're in the water. Would you rather see a shark, or an alligator?

I bought this book the other day called Barguments. A bargument being defined as:

[INDENT]“A debate with no right or wrong answer that must be uncomplicated enough to discuss after three beers.”[/INDENT]The book is basically a bunch of semi-silly debate topics. On my first night out with it, the poll question came up. Heated debate followed. I answered one way, my adversary the other. The following day my opponent polled everyone in their place of employment and it turns out I might be in the minority. In fact, it seems I’m the only person who chose the (obviously best) answer. I find this absurd.

Seeking vindication, I come to you.

So, do you prefer to pit yourself versus Shark, or Alligator? Why?

Shark. Likely it won’t attack. I might be able to fend it off. Most shark attacks are mistakes.

Alligators? They are killers.

I’ve been in the water with both. I was once chased by an alligator in the Everglades.

Edit: Yeah, as CCZ it depends. If I was underwater skin diving or whatever and saw a big ol’ GREAT WHITE I think I’d soil myself. Seriously.

I voted alligator on the assumption you meant a deadly shark like a Great White, but the poll is completely useless without more information. There are many kinds of sharks and most are completely harmless.

Shark. I can reach out and touch it’s nose/snout and put it to sleep. An alligator or croc just means I’m even more screwed.

Alligator, easily. A shark is the ultimate predator. I mean in the open water, it doesn’t matter much. Both will destroy you. But with the alligator, I feel like I have a chance to get away. I could at least get on top of it an hold it’s mouth closed, for example. No chance of that with a shark.

OTOH, sharks don’t attack living people that much, so I’m assuming that both are equally hungry. Is that part of the question? I feel like all things being equal, an alligator may be more likely to attack a human than a shark, but I could be wrong about that. Still, in a fight, I’d take my chance with an alligator. You don’t often hear about people wrestling sharks.

I think you need to define the size of the gator and the shark. Also, are you in the same kind of water in each case? How far from shore are you?

Sometimes it’s more fun to argue about the parameters of the question than the question itself. :)

I voted alligator, as I think you can maybe outswim one, unlike the you’re-doomed shark. I can find no internet information on alligator swim speed, however.

You can grab a gator’s mouth and hold it shut if you need to (the muscles they use to open their jaws are weak, the ones they use to close them much stronger). Try doing that with a Great White!

Try getting close enough to an alligator with it’s mouth already open to do that.

They can swim much faster by moving their body and tail in a sinouous fashion, and they can sustain this form of movement much longer at about 30 to 35 km/h.

Nile croc should be close enough for a guestimate.

Whether it’s a shark or an alligator, you’ll be shitting your shirt either way.

Alligator - they only attack humans in self defense.

Now if you were talking a large crocodile, then definitely I’d pick shark instead.

Wow, what a tough decision. If it’s a Nile croc vs. Great White (I’m assuming) and you’re not close to shore, and they’re both really hungry, and they are going to attack you - I’m going to go with… Croc. I think a human stands no chance at all against either, but I think with a croc being a bit slower (and Jason, you CANNOT out-swim a croc), maybe there’d be a chance to dodge him and hop on it’s back… which in the end would be a fruit-less endeaver anyways since one thrash/roll would be it.

If you get attacked by a croc. Shove your arm into his mouth if you’re underwater. You’ll probably lose the arm, but you have a chance to get medical treatment.

At least you could potentially kick/punch an alligator in the junk, on a shark, who the hell can locate shark junk?

The key word here is “see”. If you see a shark most likely you won’t be attacked. Sharks like to attack (mammals - y’know seals, surfers) from underneath from a depth of '60 or more.

Every now and then someone gets attacked in shallower water, but that’s cause they step on or surf into a shark, not cause the shark was looking to chow down (my example that video of dudes standing in knee deep water while a bunch of sharks swim lazily by).

Alligator? (Is a Croc more deadly? Always confusing.) Look at him, he wants you to know he’s there, cause Gators all know your fear is the ultimate flavoring. Hell a Gator will chase you on the land.

What?

Salties are some of the most aggressive animals in the world.

Alligators and crocs have something in the back of their throats that closes whenever they open their mouth so water doesn’t rush in and drown them.

Then again, I don’t know how strong that thing is and if it’s even possible to push it open while their jaws are open. So, nevermind.

Okay, why do you want the animal to close down on your arm? Even as an involuntary action.

Alligator. If I’m doomed, at least he will spin me around and give me one last carnival ride.