Youtube weirdness

Quick question for those who would know; do Youtubers get paid just the same if ads are run at super-speed vs. normal?

Everyone should have swapped off AdBlock to uBlock Origin ages ago when they started offering a whitelist for ads that pay them. Glad to see there’s yet another reason to switch if you haven’t yet.

Will need to go to Firefox also, as Chrome is castrating adblocking very soon. YouTube adblocking is exactly the sort of thing that won’t work with manifest v3, lacking the agility to quickly update and go low-level on blocking/rewriting content.

If you want to stay on Blink for whatever reason, Vivaldi and Brave are keeping manifest v2 too. Vivaldi is closed-source but generally OK, and Brave is probably the best Blink-based browser but its CEO is a bigot and it includes cryptocurrency garbage. If you can see past the former and are OK turning off the latter, it’s a good choice.

And if you don’t give a crap and insist on sticking with Chrome, there are addons that try to skip video ads and barring that, blank them out and mute the audio instead. Of course being shady Chrome extensions you’re putting your life on the line with them being spyware or even worse, being totally 100% legit and used by everybody then sold to some shady Russian or Chinese company after a year and then auto-updating with spyware.

Ok you convinced me. I’ve been using Chrome for, I don’t know, 15 years? Since original release? Switching back to Mozilla is gonna be a learning curve.

I’m one of very few that stuck with Firefox all the way through. It’s been basically fine this past twenty years, aside from some regrettable UI design at times.

I use Ad Speedup, which works like a charm. That said, I wonder if it will be able to withstand manifest v3. In the meantime, it’s worked flawlessly to “avoid” the ads which run silently and at hyper-speed. Hopefully that doesn’t hurt the content makers.

People are reporting that AdBlock now works correctly on YouTube.

Am I crazy or is even Edge better than Chrome these days?

Oh I’m sure they fixed it extremely quickly, once they realized what they had done.

Edge and Chrome are both full of tons of bloat and spyware. Edge does have adblocking built in, but I haven’t really played with it. I use Firefox, and sometimes Vivaldi.

I’ve used Vivaldi a lot and really like it.