Zaks Morrowind+MGE XE experience

For example here are some sections from mine with a description after the //:

[General]
Show FPS=1 // Adds Morrowinds own discrete fps count to the bottom right. If you use a UI mod or prefer to see it someplace else, MGE XE has it’s own you can activate that will show on the top left, and third party options like FRAPS give more choice. Morrowinds own is my preferred choice.

Max FPS=60 // default is 240! a waste of resources and current theory holds that matching the fps cap (which this sets) with your monitor refresh rate is best. Certainly a value of 100 should be your max choice here.

Interior Cell Buffer=12 // These are default values and over the years i’ve seen suggestions to both
Exterior Cell Buffer=32 // increase or decrease them. So i suggest have a go at both, play the game and see what suits your setup best. Values of 4, 8, 12, 16, 32, 48, 64 are probably best here.

allowyestoall=1 // Add this yourself, it avoids a lot of clicks in the process of modding!
AllowMultipleEditors=1 // Add this also to improve MW’s stability if you run other programs at the same time (like System Monitoring software, FRAPS, Wrye Mash etc). These two additions go at the bottom of the ‘General’ section of the ini, i put them after Werewolf FOV=100.

[LightAttenuation]
UseConstant=1
ConstantValue=0.382
;
UseLinear=1
LinearMethod=1
LinearValue=1
LinearRadiusMult=1
;
UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=2.619
QuadraticRadiusMult=1
;
OutQuadInLin=0

//One of the mods i use, True Lights and Darkness, suggests these settings for that mod. In general the default lighting used just the UseLinear option and would make things brighter overall (easier to see), but could reduce atmosphere a little. UseQuadratic adds a bit more ‘light flicker’ from torches and fires etc. Anyway these settings are due to the mod so are what i play with, it makes the game pretty dark and it really is necessary to carry torches or use nighteye in logically dark places.

[Blood]
Model 0=BloodSplat.nif
Model 1=BloodSplat2.nif
Model 2=BloodSplat3.nif

Texture 0=Tx_Blood.tga
Texture 1=Tx_Blood_White.tga
Texture 2=Tx_Blood_Gold.tga
Texture 3=PLX_CBbug_blood.tga
Texture 4=PLX_CBoil_blood.tga
Texture 5=PLX_CByellow_blood.tga
Texture 6=PLX_CBstone_blood.tga

Texture Name 0=Default (Red)
Texture Name 1=Skeleton (White)
Texture Name 2=Metal Sparks (Gold)
Texture Name 3=Bug Blood (Brown)
Texture Name 4=Dark Blood (Black)
Texture Name 5=Yellow Blood
Texture Name 6=Stone flakes (Gray)

//Most of these are added by hand as recommended in the readme of the creature/monster mods i use. Reading a mods readme can save a whole bunch of issues from happening.

[Archives]
Archive 0=Tribunal.bsa
Archive 1=Bloodmoon.bsa
Archive 2=Authentic Signs IT.bsa
Archive 3=Windows Glow TR.bsa

//This section will be where required bsa files are registered, if you have mods that require you to run BSAReg, you can check they installed fine here. The mod readmes will inform you if you need to do this.

Just to give you some idea of parts that will change after adding mods and what that looks like. In general the Morrowind.ini is an important part of running your modded game and the VERY FIRST THING you should now do is BACK IT UP and put it somewhere safe. I have a whole copy of a fresh install of Morrowind GOTY in a back up folder called ‘Morrowind Orig Backup’, and that includes the Morrowind.ini file if i ever need to get hold of a new clean one.