Kairosoft games

I’ve been playing Cafe Nipponica, and Jebus, it’s the worst game I’ve ever obsessed over. It’s a terrible, terrible game and I’ve spent something like 30 hours on it, I can see there’s nothing but repetition ahead, and yet I am finding it difficult to force myself to stop twiddling with it.

The problem with many Kairosoft games is that the game is mostly about learning how to play the game. They’ll hide a lot of vital information you need to make basic decisions, and then you’ve either got to discover the rules by trail and error or look up the details in someone’s guide if you’re weak. Assuming someone has already done the work. And gotten it right.

Cafe Nipponica is bad enough in this way that I found a lot of people who have written about it online are giving bad advice because they have made the wrong deductions about the rules. I think. Because I can’t be absolutely certain if my understanding is the correct one.

It’s a restaurant simulation. At the start of the game you have two employees, one cook and one server, and open slots for one more of each. You can buy tables and decorations for your shop. Every stick of furniture has bonuses which increase your shop’s popularity to specific categories of customers. How popularity works isn’t clear, and no one really knows. I think what happens is that customers walk by your shop, and your shop’s popularity determines whether they go in and buy food or walk on past.

Once they come in, they sit down and buy food. You can offer up to 6 different dishes initially, and they’ll buy whatever appeals to them most. This is where the first gaping game design hole shows up: it turns out that offering choices is a bad idea. The optimal way to play is only to offer one dish, your most expensive one, so they’ll buy that. They can’t come in and say “nothing looks good” and walk back out, or be unhappy with the choices in any way. What’s worse, each dish you offer has a fixed monthly upkeep cost, so offering choices hurts you two ways: the customers pay less, and you pay more for upkeep. I really struggled financially my first game because I focused on providing a multitude of choices, thinking that would make my customers happy.

Each dish has 10 ratings: 8 attributes (healthiness, aroma, appearance, volume, texture, etc.) and two broad ratings, taste and appeal. What these do is unclear, but I believe that the higher the appeal, and the bigger the appetite of the customer, the more copies of the dish they’ll buy. They don’t come in and buy one meal. I’ve had one customer pay 5x what another pays, even though there’s only one kind of food available. I believe that the higher the taste, and the higher the rating in the specific attribute the customer values, the more points you score with that customer. I.e. Elders like food that is Healthy. Students like food that has a high “IQ boost” rating. You want customer score because 1) each customer type unlocks a one-time action when you score enough points and 2) cumulative customer ratings are part of the final score.

You can research dish upgrades. You tell a cook which dish to upgrade, and one or two ingredients to add. Ingredients are marked from “bad” to “perfect” depending on the dish. There’s some screwiness in here. I can’t speak for the majority of dishes, which are unfamiliar and Japanese, but invariably what is compatible with western-style dishes like Spaghetti is unintuitive. Garlic, for example, is not desirable for Spaghetti in Japan.

Ingredients all have their own 8 deltas to attributes - butter adds to Aroma, for example, but decreases Healthiness. Almost all seafood ingredients reduce Aroma and Appearance. An attribute can’t go below zero or above 100. You can take advantage of that, since there’s no drawback to an attribute penalty once it’s already zero. It appears that Cost, Taste and Appeal are more-or-less functions of the other 8 attributes, though there’s a lot of uncertainty in there.

If you add the right ingredient to a dish, you’ll unlock a new type of dish. Sometimes this is a bit strange, adding Lettuce to Toast gives you Salad. During the game you’ll discover recipes showing how to unlock new dishes. They’re hints, you can unlock a dish if you don’t have the recipe if you take the right action. Indeed, the game seems to expect you to keep a record of all the recipes you’ve seen so you can use them next game. Why otherwise would some pretty low-level recipes show up late in the game? Sadly, the recipe list does not carry over in-game, so you have to keep any notes outside the game.

One problem with food research is that there’s a hidden drawback. Every time you upgrade a dish, its daily upkeep cost increases permanently. Even if the upgrade kinda sucked all around, giving no price, taste, or appeal increases.

In addition to buying furniture and researching food, you can take actions. Actions cost money, and you can take each action only once. Presumably these actions represent ongoing changes, so “Clean” means you clean your filthy pig sty of a restaurant regularly from now on. Actions give a short boost to popularity, and you’ll definitely get more customers the next day, though that’s largely a wash with the cost of taking the action. The real boost is that most actions unlock a new customer, who will then pass by your restaurant regularly. Later game customers order a lot more food. The cycle then is use action -> unlock customer -> make customer happy with his kind of food -> unlock new action.

Every 3 months your employees can explore an area. This is highly abstract. Each employee will find one ingredient or small bundle of cash, and add to the progress meter for that area. Unlock the meter, and you get a “treasure.” Treasures vary a great deal, but generally are recipes or new types of furniture. Thus, the “ingredient walks” are really furniture research. Mostly. Ingredient walks cost money, and a common way to screw yourself is to end up without enough money to pay for the quarterly ingredient walk, which means you have to wait another 3 months.

You can also buy ingredients from a dealer. There’s a limited stock, and it’s more expensive than finding ingredients on ingredient walks. As time goes by you can pay to improve the dealer’s inventory.

Your employees gain experience with time. When they hit level 5 in a job, they stop growing unless they change jobs. There’s a Cooking track and a Server track, and employees can switch from one to the other at any time. There are some non-obvious permanent penalties for doing so - I had a 5-Star Chef spend some time as a server, but when he switched back to being a 5 Star Chef his cooking skill was down from 500ish to 200ish. Some jobs require experience in both tracks, notably the Ninja, Rollerskater, and Popular Staff jobs. This is hidden information - the game refuses to tell you why you can’t be a Ninja, just that “requirements aren’t met.” Yes, there are Ninja waiters in the game. I have no idea what the benefits of those are yet.

Employees keep all their experience when you start a new game, so your starting cook will be a maxed-out 5 Star Chef. Which is a huge drawback, because he also comes with a 5 Star Chef’s salary cost, and his skills don’t begin to make up for that when you’ve got only the starting dishes and starting customers. Food upgrades carry over to new games, but which dishes you’ve unlocked don’t.

There are special employees that requires “negotiation” to hire. The “negotiation” process is an absolutely crap-tastic timed mini game, where you throw salary increases and gifts at the candidate. Sometimes they’ll react positively, sometimes they do nothing, sometimes it’s negative, and there’s no frakking way to tell what to do next, so it’s a huge dice roll. Limited because you can’t afford to increase salary too many times because the long term costs will kill you. The only positive note is that you can play competitively while ignoring the special employees entirely, since they’re only more experienced, not really special.

So, the game is you buy furniture and ingredients, research food, and spend money on actions which unlock customers. In between you wait. There’s a lot of waiting, watching the restaurant run. It really tells you nothing, except in the case where you’ve got a failure because your servers aren’t keeping up with traffic, so long lines are forming at the cash register. The meta-game is that you try and do some upgrades to early dishes along the way that will keep you solvent the next time you play, since your costs are going to skyrocket with employee experience carry over.

Once you learn what you’re supposed to do, it’s mindless, repetitive, and mechanical. It’s learning how to play that’s difficult. And since research takes a long, long time, there’s the nagging progress quest aspect. I’ve played through twice, and only a couple of dishes are well researched, and I still haven’t gotten to some of the prestige employee classes. There’s so much left undone… but just thinking about doing it makes me sleepy.

Imagine if they charged real money for new dishes ;-)

I only played Game Dev Story for a significant amount of time, and (prior to that) the dungeon village one for a couple of hours.
For a while, I was quite fond of GDS, but ultimately, I came to the same conclusion you came to - I merely acted differently.
I wiped GDS from my iDevice and never looked back.

rezaf

With Kairosoft games, you pretty much have to realize that half the game is finding the golden path that makes the game trivial. Once that’s accomplished, you’re done for good. But finding that path is a lot of fun, and if you’re not a committed mix/maxer, you can have a lot of fun just screwing around with the game instead of going full-bore to beat it.

For example, GDS is pretty easy to beat. But it was amusing (for me, at least) for a while to make up goofy shit games (ex. robotic dating sims on the XBOX) to see where it led.

I liked Game Dev Story, Grand Prix Story, and Dungeon Village. I would have liked Beastie Bay better had Kairosoft bother porting the controls correctly (i.e. it asks for right-clicks, um no).

I really enjoyed Grand Prix Story. I think a large part of that was that there were a variety of things to do other than beat the game, like unlock all the cars and parts, or try and beat Kairo Island with a relatively weak car. One guy managed to beat that race with a Buggy, though he had to burn an aura to get an early lead.

Cafe Nipponica stood out because it makes you wait around doing nothing much of the time, and it makes much more of an effort to hide the rules from you than Kairosoft games usually do. The game just flat-out refuses to tell you what’s required to unlock jobs. The customer satisfaction rating is also more mysterious than I thought. I read on a web site that to unlock the last “housewife” (CN’s term for any adult female), the Executive Secretary (also a “housewife”) must reach 100 satisfaction. Well, she wouldn’t. She’s get up to 95, and then drop down to 92. I was only offering dishes with 100 Attractiveness, which is supposedly what she cares about, and the shops were all 100 popularity with Housewives, but apparently that wasn’t enough.

Cafe Nipponica doesn’t give you much to goof with, either. I mean, sure, you can add Sea Snails to your toast to see what happens, but it’s not remembered anywhere that you are serving snails on toast, it’s just a numeric adjustment. The game would probably be more entertaining if it were closer to Game Developer Story that way, where you could combine 3 or 4 ingredients to make a new dish, the game would remember what was in it, and you could name it. Instead you add stuff indefinitely - I’ve forgotten precisely what was in my Tuna Bowl, but I’m sure it read something like “Spam, Spam, Spam, and Tuna.”

Kairosoft is applying a new policy, by which they are removing all Japanese language from their games, while selling the Japanese language version separately, for a superior price.
Having bought them for a significant other who doesn’t speak English, I am pretty unhappy.
And if anybody had still any doubt about the business model of that company, that should clear them up ;)

Anyways: if you happen to value the Japanese language option, not updating is the only work-around.

All of their recent games are full of in-app-purchases. Color me disappointed.

Thread necro!

I feel that Kairosoft have found their way back to the light recently.

Not only are many of their classic games on Steam now, but the latest mobile titles are back to where they work best, pay once, play lots!

Their take on Sim Golf is fun (but obvs not as good as the original) and the new Convenience Stories is a pleasant take on the formula and has the new “innovation” of being able to actually save your best layouts so you can use them again (so the game is less of a memory test).

Wow, I haven’t played these in forever. I bought them when they first came out and were just payware on Google Play. They were definitely a great intro to fun mobile gaming.

These 4 are recent and I’ve enjoyed all of them

Aw hell yeah, golf manager sim! It’s been a REAL long time since I played a Kairosoft game (the hot springs game??). Thanks for bringing these new titles to our attention!

You might be the only person I’ve ever seen acknowledge that Sim Golf was a game. I really liked that one!

I went on a stint a few years back trying to find another Kairosoft game I enjoyed as much as Game Dev Story, but always came up short.

Maybe I need to check some of these new ones out. I always felt like they were SO CLOSE to being great.

Assuming we’re all talking about Sid Meier’s Sim Golf here (not the older Maxis sim), figured I should make sure you’re aware of GolfTopia, Murph. It was at once more fully featured (and much better looking) than SMSG, though I ended up feeling it was missing a little something. Still, well made and might be worth your time if you have fond memories of SimGolf.

Affirmative. It was one of those that I would play through once course then take a break from, because it wasn’t a particularly deep game, but it was so damn charming. I’ll check out GolfTopia.

One of my favorite games of all time. I have it running on my machine, but I’ve been desperately looking for a solution that can make it run windowed, but no luck so far, so it’s always stretched out.

I like golftopia, but it just never felt quite as pure as Sim Golf. Maybe it’s because SimGolf was SO restrictive in what you could do and where as the tiles were quite large whereas Golftopia has much more freedom.

Kairosoft’s take is very much kairosoft, and more about items and themes, so whilst the customers do play your holes, it’s not in the same way as the SimGolf Sims play your links.